Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        CTF Map ‘Emerald Hill’

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: CTF Map ‘Emerald Hill’

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-09-2019 12:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Very loosely based on a place near to me. Inspired by the Peranakan architecture that surrounds me everyday.
I know there are some tight areas, but it’s too late to do anything about that now. That said, there are two or three really good speed run tricks because of the geometry.
This really is a release candidate I suppose, I final run to check the art.
Any comments appreciated.

Download

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 10-09-2019 12:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'd love to watch

Edit:

Cool graphic theme :-)
PS: Is this bird sound not very repetitive? (frequency or less intensive)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-12-2019 01:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That is one tight ass map!! With a lot of snags. I'm away for the weekend but I'll try and do a proper bit of feedback during the week. I know Bots are never good when it comes to CTF, but they get hung up on the lower stairwells near the rail gun and the ones just on from them leading into the lower entrance to each base, not sure what's causing that. Didn't get chance to look too closely at the theme as jumped straight into a game but didn't see any z-fighting or anything glaring.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 10-22-2019 09:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Some really nice work here, there are quite a lot of clipping issues and scale seems off on some textures etc, but over all good work man!

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-25-2019 09:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

looks very nice! I would highlight the weapons a bit (especially PG), maybe with a little color changing according to the color of the weapon. and would make the banners animated. personally, I don't like the water stream. :-) I'd make something volumetric, not flat, and would make scrolling much slower.

P.S. hi, fKd! =)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-09-2019 02:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I’ll get to finishing off the clipping issues when I get a little bit of spare time.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-15-2020 11:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gorgeous map! Congratulations!

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 04-19-2020 02:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok, so I've had a look at this, congrats on a new level. However, I would suggest, if you are up to it, to make a ffa version of this design or such, cause it would probably appeal to more people, it's just difficult to test a ctf level and with a game that is more or less dead I suppose no one will play it the way you want.

There's several places where you have either too much playerclip, or you need to make more space for the player, especially the jumppads with leaves around the bases. There's also some like terrain features around corners that you bump on, they kinda act like small ramps, which makes it difficult to move there. Not sure why the sun comes from the direction it's set to, when the sun in the sky box is somewhere else =)

I also have very low framerate in this level, at most times. There are some places where you could improve frame rate a lot by doing better vis and also reduce the amount of details seen from that point or in places where the player might not notice it too much.
It's in several places of the level, but really this specific place here: https://i.imgur.com/1wz0Ljo.png

This image here below is a comparison between this and the worst place in my level rustgrad:

Comparing the numbers, the surf number sticks out a lot in your level there, while the other numbers are not that different. When I lock the pvs and run around, I'm fairly certain that you can easily fix this with vis and some reduction in perhaps window details in some places.

Ps. I was very unhappy with that number in my own level, that I got below 125 there, to the point where I almost wanted to redo that entire section of the level.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.