Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        [Beta] 13house "House Of Chthon"

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: [Beta] 13house "House Of Chthon"

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-26-2020 07:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

House Of Chthon:

This is a Remake/Remix of the first boss map of Quake1 (E1M7)
I drained the lava and removed the big metal plates of the original map. So I found an entire new level hidden behind that sfuff. :D

Screenshots:

Tell me if you find any Bugs or have some further suggestions of any kind. (the missing lift-sound is already on my todo list)

Download Q3A version Beta1 (5.5 MB)
PK3: map-13thouse_b1.pk3
ZIP: map-13house_b1.zip

BSP name is: 13house_b1

QL version here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1317267477

Have fun testing!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-27-2020 12:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Beautiful map. Needs a lot of players. The texture set is awesome, but the brush structuring is breath-taking. And the little tributes (Chthon's hands and forearms in the chains holding fireballs as torches in the main area and the deathknight statue overlooking the red armour), that's frecking awesome dude. Bots get stuck in two places right now. The lift from the lower LG platform to the RA and the jump pad that leads up to the quad.

I guess you're still playing with the sky, cause it's a bit weird with the black and the red ones being in such close proximity especially in areas like the RA where you can see the red through the skylight grill in the stairwell (to the left in your screen shot).

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-27-2020 01:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A straight copy of the original's layout would have been quite dull so it's interesting to see it extended like this. I'm loving the way to spawn the invisibility ;) ;) , although it would have been nice to see the 3 buttons stay and let the player access the tunnel to the tele when all 3 are pressed - not sure how it would be achieved in standard Q3 but I thought I'd give my 2 cents on that!

What's the story with that inaccessible area with RG + large health?

I think the lava floor and igneous rock is fantastic and sets the map apart from anything else I've seen, although I think the floor should hurt the player a bit?

How about a purple sky similar to the original?

Overall though - and my only complaint really - is the general aesthetic is very, very flat and grey. I'd suggest toning down and/or darkening area lights to allow shadows and the abundance of surface lights to add some colour and depth to the map.

:up:

edit: the button by LG does nothing btw - not sure if you forgot to add something for that?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-27-2020 02:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Screenshots look awesome. Will have a playthrough later.
Ever considered making an EntityPlus level out of it? :)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-27-2020 08:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks all for the very quick response!

Bots:
I didn't do any bot optimizing yet. Just fired up bspc.exe and checked if they move around. :D

Sky:
Yes, I just took one of the red stock skies. I thought it would fit the lava theme.
The rooms with the black ceiling: I tried sky there, but it looked awful.
I'm going to try a very dark lava stone ceiling instead of the simple blackness.

Invisibility & LG button:
The button is part of the secret to spawn the invis. But it's not connected yet. I never thought someone would find the invis already on the first day of the release. XD

Additional railgun room:
This room will be part of the CTF version of the map I'm planning to do. It will connect into the other side at the RA elevator shaft.
Also the ledge where the quad spawns will be connected at both ends.

Flat gray light:
Hmm, I kinda know what you mean. But I don't want to make the map too colorful. There were no colored lights in the original Quake, and I want to keep the Quake feeling a little bit. :)
Someone from QL already complained that the map is a bit too dark...

Entity Plus:
I'm very busy finishing all my current "multiplayer" maps. But if you wish, I can send you the map file when the map is finished. :D

ToDo list so far:
- bot clips, cluster portals, general bot optimization
- trying a purple Quake sky
- lava stone ceiling instead of the blackness
- completing the secret by conncting all 3 buttons and add some freaking lightning :)
- CTF version

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-27-2020 03:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sst13 wrote:
I never thought someone would find the invis already on the first day of the release. XD

I know from experience that your maps usually have sneaky little extras (one of the reasons I enjoy them), so I kept an eye on every little detail :olo:

sst13 wrote:
Someone from QL already complained that the map is a bit too dark...

I had to see the comment for myself. I turns out the guy is running vertex lighting in the year 2020, so I'd take his opinion with a pinch of salt. :olo:

Now I notice your other in-progress maps in the workshop - any plans to bring them into Q3?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-28-2020 12:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sst13 wrote:
The rooms with the black ceiling: I tried sky there, but it looked awful.
I'm going to try a very dark lava stone ceiling instead of the simple blackness.

I played the map now and I'd say keep it as it is. I like how the ceiling of the room just ends up in a dark black void. Makes the room feel very tall and grand. It doesn't look weird or out of place to me.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 05-03-2020 06:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Are you still using Q3Radiant v2.02? in the readme file I found such a description.
The map is large and would be good for "Entity Plus"

Attachments:
File comment: - Lifting platform starts up too early, I think it would be better to stand in the middle of the platform.
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 180.86 KB | Viewed 273 times ]

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-03-2020 01:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@Fruity: Yes, Q3Radiant 202 oldschool here. :D

The lift is atm a func_plat. The trigger is generated automatical from the bounding box of the entity. Because of the 45° rotation of the lift, the bounding box is way too big and the resulting trigger as well.
I'm going to make the lift a func_door with a manually built trigger that will fit perfectly.

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 05-04-2020 06:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Excellent map! You always do good work. I love the textures...it kind of reminds me of the PainFromSpain map by Binaryshi and Munyul Verminard.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-09-2020 10:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Final Release!

Hi folks, here comes the final version, now with 5 secrets:
#1 The teleporter back entrance, accessible from below the lift, leading to the quad ledge.

#2 A teleporter switch in the lava area under the red armor. The teleexit also leads to the quad. Use this switch to escape the lava pool, or as some kind of a shortcut to acess the quad.

#3 The 2 big electrodes that spawn the invis. Shoot the 2 buttons on the wind pipes to activate the main button on the RL balkony. One shootable button is located behind the LG, the other at the jumppad from secret #1 below the lift.

#4 Rune of Earth Magic. Can be found in the lava pit under the main teleporter.

#5 Gargoyle ride: When someone camps on the gargoyle the quake symbol next to him starts glowing and becomes shootable. This triggers the gargoyle going on a short ride. :)

I tested a purple sky but switched back to the red version. Due to the overall grayish look of the map, the red sky gave a little bit more contrast to the scene.
Fun fact: If you set our textures to 16bit (r_texturebits 16; vid_restart) the map will look even more quakish. :D

Download Q3A version (6.8 MB)
PK3: map-13house.pk3
ZIP: map-13house.zip

QL version here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1317267477
(not updated to final version yet, but coming soon.)

Next step is to finish the QL and the CTF version:

Have fun!

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-09-2020 10:53 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Epic! It's a gorgeous map.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-11-2020 09:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thx Eraser!
btw, I want to make a small remake of your "Rusty Browns" map. :D

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 09-13-2020 03:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have to agree, this level looks really good. In the end, levels that looks like these are the definition of Quake-ish design.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-14-2020 01:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sst13 wrote:
thx Eraser!
btw, I want to make a small remake of your "Rusty Browns" map. :D

Really? That's cool :)
I'm afraid I don't have the .map file anymore (got lost in a malfunctioning hard drive accident and didn't have a backup) so I can't help you there.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-14-2020 09:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
I'm afraid I don't have the .map file anymore (got lost in a malfunctioning hard drive accident and didn't have a backup) so I can't help you there.

That's not a problem. :)
But first I have to finish a lot of other mapping projects. So it will take some time...

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 09-17-2020 11:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is a great map! I'm glad to see maps are still being made for Q3A!!

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.