Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        [BETA] 13zone "The Dark Zone - RMX"

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: [BETA] 13zone "The Dark Zone - RMX"

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-07-2021 07:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Dark Zone - RMX

Again it's remake/remix time, and I got my hands on DM6. :q1:
The map is atm only a gameplay test version. So don't mind missing details and the color coded lighting. I think I'll stay with the texture set, but add some brick elements to catch more of the original vibe.

The teleporter in the main room now sits in a center pit. The LG can be accessed by strafing down or from a secret teleporter:

I replaced the stairs in the RA room with a jumppad:

The former MH room also got a new JP up to a ledge:

And there is now a connection to the new MH room. The stairs here got replaced with a lift:

A new passage from RA to the new MH room, bypassing the center room:

A second new passage on the other side doing the same job:

A "sucky pipe" brings you Super Mario style direct to the Quad:

Actual layout/itemset:

Itemset generator: http://sst13.de/itemset/ if you want to create you own set suggestion.

There are also 4 "glory holes" for shooting nades, railing and doing some crouch action.
The original map got 2 RLs, I replaced the one in front of the tele with a SG. Are 2 RLs better? Tell what do you think?
The map name is a kind of a placeholder, if you have any fancy ideas let me know.

Download Q3A version Alpha2 (2.5 MB)
PK3: map-13zone_a2.pk3
ZIP: map-13zone_a2.zip

QL version here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2594395188

Have fun testing... sst13

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 09-08-2021 01:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Beautiful, smooth playing map. I'm so glad to see people still making levels for the old games. I loved your House of Cthon remix, as well. Such a great aesthetic. I didn't notice any issues with the map, though, it does feel less "brutal" than the Quake One version, probably because of the larger scale. I'm sure it would work well in team games though. I'd personally go with two rocket launchers, I found myself looking for the second one.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-09-2021 12:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plays well. I understand you're still in the process of adding more detail, but one thing I want to comment on in that regard is that the jumppads and the sucky tube need some sort of visual cue to indicate what they are. Perhaps some kind of wavy wind gust effect coming out of the jumppads and going into the sucky pipe?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 09-10-2021 08:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sst13 wrote:
The Dark Zone - RMX

hi, sst13! :) why I can't download the map and can't see the screens? :dork: there's no "Dark Zone" on you site..
you removed it or I'm doing something wrong?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-10-2021 04:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@scythe :
Ok, next version will feature 2 RLs.

@Eraser:
I had such wind shaders in all previous maps, featuring this pipes. And the next beta will have them too. I was just too lazy to add them yet. ;)

@Obsessed :
Looks like your Antivirus blocking normal http content embedded in https sites. And not even give you a hint about the missing stuff. >:(
I updated my beta section for you: http://sst13.de/beta (DL link + screenshots)

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 09-11-2021 05:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sst13 wrote:
I updated my beta section for you

tyvm! the map is very cool, it's huge at the first look, but I guess it just requires proper movement (like cpma guys do). anyway, RG promises to be op. but I don't like maps w/o RG. =)

..despite of this, I would :
1) reduce the above MH (and above LG) areas to make more vertical interaction, like this:
2) the above RG arch is narrow and impedes the movement :(
3) I'd make the below shards arch a bit higher :)
4) maybe removing the slugs would help (add: sure, cause the RG is op :rolleyes: ).
5) the YA jp throws you a little far so you must return to take the YA. I dunno how to make it look cool, but I think it's not worth to weaken the jp, maybe just moving it's dest a little away from the YA?
6) I'd move the under LG tele a little up, maybe even made it w/o constriction (the same square as the above "hole").
7) 2nd RL is worth adding (above the MH?), and if so, PG can take a place of one of the SG's (I'd prefer the lower one, but it doesn't really matter).

the map's flow is very nice! that's why I wrote all this nonsense ))

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 11-11-2021 05:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Liked very much your House of Chthon remake, so keeping an eye on this one as well :D

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 12-30-2021 02:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-04-2022 10:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Beta #1

Download Q3A version Beta1 (5 MB)
PK3: map-13zone_b1.pk3
ZIP: map-13zone_b1.zip

actual QL version now here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2572237218

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 02-06-2022 12:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Beautiful!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-08-2022 09:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh, btw. I found a bug: If you noclip above the map you probalbly get a "Shader_Max_Vertexes hit in FillCloudy Sky Side ()" Error and the map crashes. Q3 has a problem with skies using 3 cloud layers or more.

Fortunately this only happens when there are big portions of the skybox are rendered. If you stay in the clipped boundaries of the map, only the upper half of the skybox is rendered. This keeps the amount of the vertices under the threshold for crashing.

Use "r_fastsky 1" if you want to noclip around and search for secrets like a noob. :D
Speaking of secrets, there are already 5 secrets in the map, if you count in the teleporter under the lift.

Edit: Let me know if someone has a better idea for the maps name. Would be cool if the word "zone" stays in the name, so I don't have to rename the whole asset. ;)

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 02-08-2022 10:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sst13 wrote:
Oh, btw

the swirl near LG is awesome! just like the effects around ammo nearby :up: :up:
the MH elevator moves w/o sound :)
I don't feel like this map needs to be renamed :)

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-08-2022 03:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Man, I'm hype to come in here after 15 years and find mapping still happening!! gonna DL immediately... screens look great. :)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-08-2022 05:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Obsessed wrote:
the MH elevator moves w/o sound :)

Do you hear no sound at all, or just the "missing sound" beeps?
Did you test with Q3 or some alternative?

The elevator is a func_door with a trigger. The same trigger fires also some speakers with the Quake1 lift sounds:

The logic segment determines if the lift is blocked by a player upwards (doesn't play the descent sounds)
or if the lift is blocked downwards (plays the descent sounds again at the second attempt)

The logic segment is in a seperate room, far away from the map to remove the default door sound. (the func_doors are one entitiy)

How it works:
The trigger fires the first 2 speakers + the func_door (lift) is moving up.
If no block occurred and the upper position is reached, the rocket shooter fires against the "logic func_door part" and backsplashes the button.
This button fires speaker 3 & 4 (descent sounds)
The rocket shooter fires a second time to test if the lift has reached the lower position.
If not, the descent sounds are played once again.

Why all the fuzz?
func_plat has no sounds in Q3. You can put some replacement sounds in your pk3, but other mappers have already done this with their own sounds. So the chances are bad for your sounds.
Also I don't like the behavior of func_plat to stay in the upper position if you don't step away from it.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 02-10-2022 01:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sst13 wrote:
Do you hear no sound at all, or just the "missing sound" beeps?
Did you test with Q3 or some alternative?

no sound at all. CNQ3 - CPMA q3 client.
I got the same problem on my map - bot stops upon the func_plat and "freezes" there. and when I'm below, its quite awkward being not able to shoot him to "wake" him up )

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-10-2022 07:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Obsessed wrote:
I got the same problem on my map - bot stops upon the func_plat and "freezes" there.

Try a "donotenter" brush on top of the func_plat (upper position). Maybe then the bot are willing to leave area above the lift.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-10-2022 08:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Could use botclip if everything else fails

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-10-2022 11:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Could use botclip if everything else fails

Yeah, a func_door out of botclip, pushing the bots from the platform like in a coin pusher. :D

@Obsessed:
I probably found the cause of the lift sounds not playing in CPMA. Did you disable ambient sounds "s_ambient 0"?
Looks like cpma disables all speakers in the map. Even the triggered ones. :rolleyes:
Not like in QL where only the looped speakers are disabled.

I also noticed in CPMA 1.52 that the lift is disapearing when movement starts and stops. I had this error with CPMA v1.47 too. But with v1.48 the error was gone. Now it's back. :( From my point of view, CPMA is one of the buggiest mods around. :cry:

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 02-10-2022 12:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sst13: Just wanted to let you know that you should really get HTTPS on your homepage. The pictures won't load for people that use https only traffic (I believe this is default behaviour for firefox and chrome now?)

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 02-11-2022 02:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@sst13 I think, you've awakened an Elder Evil of cpma mod through me ;D anyway: 1) the sound was in _a2 and disappeared in _b1, 2) I begin to hear it when I turn the ambient sounds on :D and when I hear it, I want you to add the q3a growl1-growl3.wav sounds around the map :D it really reminds q1 ogre's "welcome cry" ))

Try a "donotenter" brush on top
ty, I did it, tested a bit, but still dunno if it helped, cause bot didn't stuck there too often (before) =) anyway, he didn't stuck for a two 10 min matches and at least I'm glad he didn't begin to avoid that elevator at all :D

@Eraser, botclips couldn't help there I guess, only in such construction like pushing botclip door but I don't support such radicalism against AI :D

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-29-2022 07:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Final Release!

Now with a total of 7 secrets/easter eggs. :D

Download Q3A version (4MB)
PK3: map-13zone.pk3
ZIP: map-13zone.zip

QL version here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2572237218

Have fun!

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-02-2022 01:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sst13 wrote:
Final Release!

Now with a total of 7 secrets/easter eggs. :D

Download Q3A version (4MB)
PK3: map-13zone.pk3
ZIP: map-13zone.zip

QL version here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2572237218

Have fun!

You bet your ass I will :D

Again, top quality work like always. I'm especially impressed with the pipe sucking up the air. It looks so good, not fake at all. Very impressive stuff!

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 06-22-2022 11:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sst13 wrote:
Have fun!

oh, nice to hear! and about the Elder Evil - it have fixed that bug in cpma mod: "I've investigated the "lift disappearing bug" (yes, I know it's actually a func_door) today. found the problem and a simple fix, so that'll be solved in 1.53".
and it told me: "let him know that if he finds bugs he should let me know >:D " :D

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 06-24-2022 12:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Very solid work and great subtle effects, very well done!

id Tech 3 Mapping Trello

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-25-2022 04:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks Infernis, quBit,

and Obsessed for your effort fixing the bug. Did your fix cover the same problen on func_button too?
Here is a sample map for testing a func_button using the no-sound hack: https://sst13.de/dev/noiseless-button.zip

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 07-15-2022 11:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

how did you manage to offset the func_button origin without adding an extra brush into the entity?

id Tech 3 Mapping Trello

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 07-15-2022 03:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

quBit wrote:
how did you manage to offset the func_button origin without adding an extra brush into the entity?

There is an extra brush. Turn on paths an follow the path. :)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 07-23-2022 02:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

"wrong hole dude" :olo:

excellent work as always sst

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-25-2022 03:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

quBit wrote:

That's impossible without an extra brush. What you can essentially do is make an origin brush somewhere outside the map in an enclosed caulk hull (which will be inaccessible by players), that will essentially move the button origin to that enclosed area - you just have to make sure that you select that brush for your button as last. Then the button will be silent.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.