Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Questions about Radiant

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Questions about Radiant

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 06-21-2020 12:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Question 1 - My newest computer has 64 gigs of ddr4 3200, a AMD Ryzen 9 3950X and a RTX 2080 Super in it and not one single instance of
Radiant (1.5 ,1.6.6 , netradiant-custom-20180516 and netradiant_1.5.0-20200419-illwieckz-windows-amd64) runs decent.
Every one of them runs like having a 900 ping on a instagib server. Any Ideas as to why? Also using the latest version of Windows 10.

Question 2- Call me stupid but how do you select faces on a brush in GtkRadiant 1.6 ? I am use to using 1.5 and in that you -shift + f then
shift -left click to select whatever face you want to texture.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-21-2020 01:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm using a first Gen i7 and GTX 970 on Windows 10, 1.5 and 1.6.6 runs fine for me. GPU drivers up to date? Remember that GtkRadiant has to draw all map geometry all the time, where in-game you have a lot of optimizations which limits draw distance. You can use other features like cubic clipping or filters to improve performance on large maps.

Shift + Click selects brush.
Shift + Ctrl + click (or click and drag to paint select) selects face.
J toggles face highlighting, which can be confusing if you have it disabled and can't tell that you have a face selected.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 06-21-2020 04:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Could be AA and/or v-sync?

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 06-22-2020 12:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Obsidian as a matter of fact My 8 year old computer with a i7 4930K and gtx 970 run all the radiant variations just fine. I am wondering if I may have to install the new OpenGL Drivers.

I have run all the compatibility and permissions options available. Some of them work for a few seconds and then it goes into slow motion like I dont have enough processor or
memory to run the program.

Update:
Well I installed the latest GTX Game Ready Drivers and it was no help. I then tried reverting back to an older version with a clean install and that also did not help.

I do have currently 4 computers in my office. I've been migrating things from my older computer as a form of backup to my backup in the event that my older computer has some sort of
failure. The 2 newer ones have 34" monitors and I figured it would be nicer to use the newest for Editing. I copied some of the editing stuff to my computer that has an AMD Ryzen 1800X
and a GTX 1080Ti in it and GtkRadiant 1.5 works fine. So I'll move the rest of it to that computer and see how that works out. Though I will continue to try and figure out why there is the
issue on my Newest computer.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-22-2020 07:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I assume that PC runs everything else fine? Games and applications? 1.6.6 shouldn't need any special compatibility settings. I suppose you also installed both Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable packages?

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 06-23-2020 11:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes and yes. It has me baffled because 1.5 was running fine until a few days before I posted here as was netRadiant. So I figured well maybe some update to the system may not be agreeing with them so I installed the latest versions of GtkRadiant and netRadiant and the same problem. I updated Windows 10 Pro to the 2004 version not that long ago. Hard to say if that could be the problem.
I should also mention that I downloaded both visual c ++ 2017 redistributable packages from the GtkRadiant website and they would not install because it said the versions on my computer were
more recent versions. Dont know if it would matter.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 06-27-2020 08:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here's an alternative you can check out if you're struggling with 1.6:

https://github.com/Garux/netradiant-custom/releases

This is a netradiant fork that is being actively developed, and includes a version of q3map2 that's being updated as well.

Netradiant is closer to 1.5 in how it works, so it might require some readjustments if you're used to 1.2/1.6 style (I just saw you mentioning that you're used to 1.5, so this should be right up your ally).

It also includes some very handy and powerful new features, such as UV-tool to more easily align textures at weird angles, and copy+paste textures from faces that makes automatic adjustments based on the angle of a face.
Here's a short video from the author (not me) demonstrating this feature:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA9eNOkD1iY

It also has a few other crazy features like you can see here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeiDOeAwAkw

The video is a bit messy, but the end result is awesome.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 06-30-2020 09:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fjoggs , It's cool what was being done in those videos. I'm just going to have to watch them in slow motion to figure it out.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 07-01-2020 01:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yep, I completely agree. It's very hard to follow :D

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-24-2020 10:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hello.
In my case, I also had a lag and I noticed that the amount of fps (in the 2D and 3D window) in the editor is locked to the HZ of the monitor, so I immediately figured it was vertical sync. I disabled V-SYNC in nvidia settings and the lag is down. I still had to block the amount of FPS with RivaTuner, because with very large amounts I had higher and sometimes weaker mouse speeds in NetRadiant.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.