Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        [BETA] 13zone "The Dark Zone - RMX"

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: [BETA] 13zone "The Dark Zone - RMX"

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-07-2021 07:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Dark Zone - RMX

Again it's remake/remix time, and I got my hands on DM6. :q1:
The map is atm only a gameplay test version. So don't mind missing details and the color coded lighting. I think I'll stay with the texture set, but add some brick elements to catch more of the original vibe.

The teleporter in the main room now sits in a center pit. The LG can be accessed by strafing down or from a secret teleporter:

I replaced the stairs in the RA room with a jumppad:

The former MH room also got a new JP up to a ledge:

And there is now a connection to the new MH room. The stairs here got replaced with a lift:

A new passage from RA to the new MH room, bypassing the center room:

A second new passage on the other side doing the same job:

A "sucky pipe" brings you Super Mario style direct to the Quad:

Actual layout/itemset:

Itemset generator: http://sst13.de/itemset/ if you want to create you own set suggestion.

There are also 4 "glory holes" for shooting nades, railing and doing some crouch action.
The original map got 2 RLs, I replaced the one in front of the tele with a SG. Are 2 RLs better? Tell what do you think?
The map name is a kind of a placeholder, if you have any fancy ideas let me know.

Download Q3A version Alpha2 (2.5 MB)
PK3: map-13zone_a2.pk3
ZIP: map-13zone_a2.zip

QL version here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2594395188

Have fun testing... sst13

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 09-08-2021 01:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Beautiful, smooth playing map. I'm so glad to see people still making levels for the old games. I loved your House of Cthon remix, as well. Such a great aesthetic. I didn't notice any issues with the map, though, it does feel less "brutal" than the Quake One version, probably because of the larger scale. I'm sure it would work well in team games though. I'd personally go with two rocket launchers, I found myself looking for the second one.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-09-2021 12:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plays well. I understand you're still in the process of adding more detail, but one thing I want to comment on in that regard is that the jumppads and the sucky tube need some sort of visual cue to indicate what they are. Perhaps some kind of wavy wind gust effect coming out of the jumppads and going into the sucky pipe?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 09-10-2021 08:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sst13 wrote:
The Dark Zone - RMX
Have fun testing... sst13

hi, sst13! :) why I can't download the map and can't see the screens? :dork: there's no "Dark Zone" on you site..
you removed it or I'm doing something wrong?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-10-2021 04:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@scythe :
Ok, next version will feature 2 RLs.

@Eraser:
I had such wind shaders in all previous maps, featuring this pipes. And the next beta will have them too. I was just too lazy to add them yet. ;)

@Obsessed :
Looks like your Antivirus blocking normal http content embedded in https sites. And not even give you a hint about the missing stuff. >:(
I updated my beta section for you: http://sst13.de/beta (DL link + screenshots)

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 09-11-2021 05:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sst13 wrote:
I updated my beta section for you

tyvm! the map is very cool, it's huge at the first look, but I guess it just requires proper movement (like cpma guys do). anyway, RG promises to be op. but I don't like maps w/o RG. =)

..despite of this, I would :
1) reduce the above MH (and above LG) areas to make more vertical interaction, like this:
2) the above RG arch is narrow and impedes the movement :(
3) I'd make the below shards arch a bit higher :)
4) maybe removing the slugs would help (add: sure, cause the RG is op :rolleyes: ).
5) the YA jp throws you a little far so you must return to take the YA. I dunno how to make it look cool, but I think it's not worth to weaken the jp, maybe just moving it's dest a little away from the YA?
6) I'd move the under LG tele a little up, maybe even made it w/o constriction (the same square as the above "hole").
7) 2nd RL is worth adding (above the MH?), and if so, PG can take a place of one of the SG's (I'd prefer the lower one, but it doesn't really matter).

the map's flow is very nice! that's why I wrote all this nonsense ))

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com