Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        New map for Quake 3 EntityPlus

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: New map for Quake 3 EntityPlus

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-03-2021 09:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Some people call me crazy. Some people call me nostalgic. Some people think I just can't let go of things. Well, all those things may be true, but I've been working the past few months on a new map for my EntityPlus mod. I build these maps mostly for myself. I enjoy the process. But if others can get some enjoyment out of playing them as well, then that's fantastic.

So, if you want to see what nonsense leaked out of my brain and into an EntityPlus map? Check it out.

Download here: http://www.theenginesofcreation.com/con ... ns/ep_evil
Get EntityPlus 1.1.9 here: https://github.com/TheEnginesOfCreation ... /tag/1.1.9 (note that if you already have an older version of the mod, you must update in order to play this map).

Preview video:

Some screenshots:

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 12-11-2021 08:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just played through it and had a blast. That map was outstanding! I thought that crossing the bridge would end the level, and up to that point everything was relatively "normal". The unexpected rollercoaster ride that happened next was incredible. I really like environments with this weird American McGee's Alice vibe. The descent into madness and the boss fight presentation were super cool. You've clearly put lots of love into this.

Here's some feedback:

I was stuck for a while early on because I took the route to the silver key after taking the lift into the iron key room. The bars that lower after I took the silver key made me think that I was right on track, but I kept running in circles, because you can't reach the iron key room anymore except by backtracking through the tunnel. Maybe the silver key route in the large elevator room should be locked until the player picks up the iron key from the cage.

The plants felt out of place due to the missing lighting. I've taken a look at the shader and tried out some changes. This version here has correct lighting and also sorts correctly (there was a sorting problem for plants in front of water):
Code:
textures/ep_evil/plant1
{
   cull disable
   surfaceparm alphashadow   
   {
      map textures/ep_evil/plant1.tga
      alphaFunc GE128
      rgbGen identity
      depthWrite
   }
   {
      map $lightmap
      blendfunc filter
      rgbGen identity
      depthFunc equal
   }
}

This is what they look like with the new shader:

Lastly, I forgot to pick up the backpack after dying at some point and had to carry on with just the machinegun and plasmagun. I forgot that the backpack does not only restore ammo, but also already collected weapons. Not the map's fault, just an anecdotal story of me being inattentive.

Speaking of the backpack: would you like me to make a nicer model? When I made the current one I barely knew my way around 3D modeling.

Attachments:
tweaked_foliage_shader.jpg
tweaked_foliage_shader.jpg [ 230.04 KB | Viewed 637 times ]

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 12-12-2021 01:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Some people call me crazy. Some people call me nostalgic. Some people think I just can't let go of things.

Everyone who thinks so is not serious

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-13-2021 01:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DaEngineer wrote:
I was stuck for a while early on because I took the route to the silver key after taking the lift into the iron key room. The bars that lower after I took the silver key made me think that I was right on track, but I kept running in circles, because you can't reach the iron key room anymore except by backtracking through the tunnel. Maybe the silver key route in the large elevator room should be locked until the player picks up the iron key from the cage.

Good point. The original way in is blocked because of the big elevator platform being at the top now. I had given it some thought but it kind of slipped my mind. It would be best if there was still some way to get to the top of that elevator room when the platform is already raised.

DaEngineer wrote:
The plants felt out of place due to the missing lighting. I've taken a look at the shader and tried out some changes. This version here has correct lighting and also sorts correctly (there was a sorting problem for plants in front of water):

Ahh, thanks. I had been messing around with these shaders for some time but never figured out how to get them working properly. I really appreciate this!

DaEngineer wrote:
Lastly, I forgot to pick up the backpack after dying at some point and had to carry on with just the machinegun and plasmagun. I forgot that the backpack does not only restore ammo, but also already collected weapons. Not the map's fault, just an anecdotal story of me being inattentive.

It has happened to me as well. I have considered making the backpack easier to distinguish by making it emit colored light.

DaEngineer wrote:
Speaking of the backpack: would you like me to make a nicer model? When I made the current one I barely knew my way around 3D modeling.

If you feel like it, sure, go ahead! :)

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-10-2022 09:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I gave it a first play through and was expecting just a single little map. I didn't expect what played more like a campaign. It's much longer than I thought it would be and quite a lot of fun. I agree with DaEngineer about the silver key, I got stuck there for a bit looking and running in circles. Some of the craziness in the later levels surprised me as well as the finale.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.