Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        What are you working on?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: What are you working on?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-19-2022 12:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The title says it all.
Are there still Quake 3 maps being made by this community?
Tell us or show us!

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-20-2022 01:24 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm in a low right now.
I notice that my eagerness to make something builds up over time until it reaches a certain threshold and if inspiration comes, I start a project. Then I work on that project until I'm sick of it, push myself to finish it and then find I'm burned out on mapping. Every time that eagerness slowly builds up again though.

But like I said, I'm in that post burnout low right now. I released Dimension of Evil a few months back and that burned me out pretty hard, so I'm not feeling like mapping any time soon. What doesn't help either is having other stuff going on in my life and having a different creative project on my hands right now.

But never say never. I enjoy being able to creatively express myself while doing something that's almost meditative at times. I expect that somewhere in the near future I'll find inspiration again and build something new.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-20-2022 11:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
I'm in a low right now.
I notice that my eagerness to make something builds up over time until it reaches a certain threshold and if inspiration comes, I start a project. Then I work on that project until I'm sick of it, push myself to finish it and then find I'm burned out on mapping. Every time that eagerness slowly builds up again though.

But like I said, I'm in that post burnout low right now. I released Dimension of Evil a few months back and that burned me out pretty hard, so I'm not feeling like mapping any time soon. What doesn't help either is having other stuff going on in my life and having a different creative project on my hands right now.

But never say never. I enjoy being able to creatively express myself while doing something that's almost meditative at times. I expect that somewhere in the near future I'll find inspiration again and build something new.

That's an impressive video. The spiders are a nice touch and they look really good! I'll check it out. Btw, the screenshots aren't working anymore.
I know that feeling, I have exactly the same. For me, it always ends with never being satisfied with a layout. I've got dozens of them.
What's the other creative project you are working on?

Do I remember correctly that you're Dutch?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-21-2022 12:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

*checks passport*

Yep, Dutch alright.

The thing I'm working on is still in very early stages, but I'm trying to build a small video game. I intentionally try to keep the scope of it small and try not to be to perfectionist about it. I start lots of projects like these which then die because they can't live up to my unrealistic self-imposed expectations.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-21-2022 10:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
*checks passport*

Yep, Dutch alright.

The thing I'm working on is still in very early stages, but I'm trying to build a small video game. I intentionally try to keep the scope of it small and try not to be to perfectionist about it. I start lots of projects like these which then die because they can't live up to my unrealistic self-imposed expectations.

Dan kunnen we elkaar blijkbaar de hand schudden :)

I have the same problem. I see all these talented people doing amazing stuff and then I take a look at my own work and I'm like forget about it.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 04-23-2022 10:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Really looking forward to actually getting all this stuff into the engine with full normalmapped materials, particles and env-FX, and proper shadow-casting lights, etc. and coming back with some lovely 4K shots. For now, these are some low-res shots straight from DarkRadiant cam-view, using only the diffuse textures:-

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-23-2022 12:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LDAsh wrote:
Really looking forward to actually getting all this stuff into the engine with full normalmapped materials, particles and env-FX, and proper shadow-casting lights, etc. and coming back with some lovely 4K shots. For now, these are some low-res shots straight from DarkRadiant cam-view, using only the diffuse textures:-

That looks cool. Is it an add on map for The Dark Mod?

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 04-23-2022 10:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just an indie project without an engine (or multiple engines) using Radiant because can have scalable patch-mesh and mapobject iterations (using GAWK to automate LOD stages) in a text-based format, beside just loving and working the quickest with Radiant.
https://www.violationentertainment.com/ ... 190714.mp4
It actually was using idTech4 at one point, then Ogre, but likely will just go with Unreal finally.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-25-2022 03:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LDAsh wrote:
Just an indie project without an engine (or multiple engines) using Radiant because can have scalable patch-mesh and mapobject iterations (using GAWK to automate LOD stages) in a text-based format, beside just loving and working the quickest with Radiant.
https://www.violationentertainment.com/ ... 190714.mp4
It actually was using idTech4 at one point, then Ogre, but likely will just go with Unreal finally.

I love Radiant too. Nowadays I'm trying to learn Trenchbroom now. It doesn't support patches, but the brush manipulation features are insane.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 04-25-2022 04:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Next year I hope I can take some time off and work on that quake3 level of mine again, there's just no time now.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-25-2022 05:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hipshot wrote:
Next year I hope I can take some time off and work on that quake3 level of mine again, there's just no time now.

What level is that?

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 04-25-2022 10:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hipshot wrote:

:D

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-25-2022 11:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

v1l3 wrote:

Wow, you're still here! Good to see. Are you keeping your daily doses of Quake 3 up?

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 04-26-2022 07:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Infernis wrote:
Wow, you're still here! Good to see. Are you keeping your daily doses of Quake 3 up?

Absolutely! I'm here practically every day checking to see what people are working on...even if we go for several months.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-26-2022 10:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Y'all oughta give EntityPlus a go. Mapping for it I mean. People who've exclusively made deathmatch maps have no idea of the creativity and challenges involved. I'm still convinced it's a great alternative because an EntityPlus map doesn't require a full server to be played.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 04-26-2022 10:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Y'all oughta give EntityPlus a go. Mapping for it I mean. People who've exclusively made deathmatch maps have no idea of the creativity and challenges involved. I'm still convinced it's a great alternative because an EntityPlus map doesn't require a full server to be played.

I think the only issue is that there's really no enemies except the bots and spiders, or am I wrong here?
If we can find someone that can make more enemy-models, that would be a very different thing.

I'm even willing to pitch in some cash to have something like that produced for ent+

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 04-26-2022 10:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Infernis wrote:
Hipshot wrote:

What level is that?

That old japanese level I've been on with since 2015 now.

v1l3 wrote:
Hipshot wrote:

As long as it's released one day! =D

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-27-2022 07:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hipshot wrote:
Eraser wrote:

I think the only issue is that there's really no enemies except the bots and spiders, or am I wrong here?
If we can find someone that can make more enemy-models, that would be a very different thing.

I'm even willing to pitch in some cash to have something like that produced for ent+

The enemies are just bots. This means that any custom player model can be used as enemy. The spiders you're referring to are just some custom player models I've pulled off the internet. I basically just copied the bot files of an existing bot (Visor or Sarge or something) and renamed them so I could add the spiders as bots.

There's a bunch of other models I've used in my latest EntityPlus map as well.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-27-2022 11:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

v1l3 wrote:
Absolutely! I'm here practically every day checking to see what people are working on...even if we go for several months.

I don't know why exactly, but it felt good reading that. Keep loving Quake 3!

Eraser wrote:

I remember it, but only vaguely. Where can I find more information and the necessary files? **I just saw the thread, silly me**

Hipshot wrote:

I see you haven't given up on your idea(s) yet, excellent!

Hipshot wrote:
That old japanese level I've been on with since 2015 now.

I think I remember a screenshot with a blossom tree is that right?

Eraser wrote:
The enemies are just bots. This means that any custom player model can be used as enemy. The spiders you're referring to are just some custom player models I've pulled off the internet. I basically just copied the bot files of an existing bot (Visor or Sarge or something) and renamed them so I could add the spiders as bots.

There's a bunch of other models I've used in my latest EntityPlus map as well.

So there's no additional AI right? The models just behave like the bots do?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-28-2022 09:36 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah it's basically just Quake 3's bot AI. You can use botspawn entities to spawn a bot in a specific location and it's removed from the game when the bot dies, so in that sense it's a lot like a regular single player enemy. Because encounters with bots are usually really short, one off fights (it works best if you give the bot low health, which can be configured in the botspawn entity), Q3's bot AI is decent enough.

On top of this, it is possible to make bots patrol along waypoints which they'll keep doing until they see the player. It's also possible to add bots that completely ignore the player so they kind of act like NPC's. You can also spawn bots which will only walk and not run.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-02-2022 01:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Yeah it's basically just Quake 3's bot AI. You can use botspawn entities to spawn a bot in a specific location and it's removed from the game when the bot dies, so in that sense it's a lot like a regular single player enemy. Because encounters with bots are usually really short, one off fights (it works best if you give the bot low health, which can be configured in the botspawn entity), Q3's bot AI is decent enough.

On top of this, it is possible to make bots patrol along waypoints which they'll keep doing until they see the player. It's also possible to add bots that completely ignore the player so they kind of act like NPC's. You can also spawn bots which will only walk and not run.

Can you also add dialog with the NPC like bots or is that a bridge too far?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-02-2022 03:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, that's several bridges too far :owned:

Though you could use the target_print entities to print messages to the screen. If you go really fancy, you could use target_speaker entities to play sound files of prerecorded voice messages.
Giving responses will be difficult, although you could trigger (voice) messages based on which trigger is triggered (where the player moves, which button the player presses or what the player shoots at)

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 05-04-2022 10:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Could also be responding to chat. It would write something like "Write a, b or c in chat to select your response", and there would be something like:
  1. "On my way"
  2. "What do you mean?"
  3. "Something else you may want?"
And based on what the player writes in the chat, the map will activate a corresponding trigger, giving it a proper roleplay character, kind of like Telltale Games :)

EDIT: That's not how it works, but how it could work. Take it as a suggestion. How difficult it would be to code? Not sure. But there would be an entity that would be labeled as trigger_chat for example, it would be a point entity, and it would contain the string in chat to activate it, and of course its target. Another entity would group multiple triggers into a single selection (via target, again a point entity), and it would need to be activated in order to work. Imagine the complex logic you could easily build with these entities in your map, turning it into a telltale game with multiple choices. That would also mean that if there are some secrets along the multiple choices that would be unavailable during the run, it would require to group the secrets into chunks that the game will account for according to your choices. Well, it's just an idea, just a suggestion, but it would be nice to have.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-09-2022 12:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:

Though you could use the target_print entities to print messages to the screen. If you go really fancy, you could use target_speaker entities to play sound files of prerecorded voice messages.
Giving responses will be difficult, although you could trigger (voice) messages based on which trigger is triggered (where the player moves, which button the player presses or what the player shoots at)

That's very interesting. Didn't Sock do something like that in his experimental Quake SP map? I can't remember the name and his site is down.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 05-09-2022 01:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Infernis wrote:
That's very interesting. Didn't Sock do something like that in his experimental Quake SP map? I can't remember the name and his site is down.

The Edge of Forever maybe? I remember one ancient styled experimental single player map, made using vanilla features and for vanilla gameplay, and it was named "The Edge of Forever". Took quite a while to finish to be honest, but eventually I managed to do it. I need to play it on camera next time, try to replicate it. Maybe on stream this Thursday?

And for his sites being down. It displays wrench and screwer icon, that implies his sites are down for maintenance. It even says Maintenance in the title bar. But it's been a while now, and it seems like he simply disappeared. Last working snapshot on the Wayback Machine by Internet Archive is here: https://web.archive.org/web/20201101083 ... monoc.com/

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-09-2022 01:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-09-2022 02:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Infernis wrote:
Eraser wrote:

Come to think of it, there's a section in my Testing Procedures map where you run into two closed doors and a computer voice instructs you to choose a door to open.
If the player presses the button for door #1, the computer will say something along the lines of door #2 being a much better door, and door 2 opens instead, allowing the player to continue into the next room.
If instead, the player presses button #2, the computer will say that door #1 is much more fun, so let's enter that one. Door #1 will open.
Now both doors will actually end up in the same room, but to make it look like they both lead somewhere else, depending on which button is pressed, a wall moves in front of the other end of the non-opening door to hide it from the player's view when the player enters the next room.

In this next room, the player is instructed to wait and not jump into a hole that opens up in the floor. To progress, the player does actually have to jump into the hole (after which something terrible happens and the computer blames you for not listening). The setup with the doors enforces the idea that both parties (the computer and the player) don't necessarily have to follow each other's instructions. It has no real other purpose than that.

I find that this sort of creativity is what makes building single player levels awesome. With deathmatch maps, you don't really have to think that hard about how to communicate certain things to the player, or how to make the player aware of something or to make the player do something without actually forcing them to. While EntityPlus adds a whole range of new functionality to the game, it's still limited by what Quake 3 offers at its core. Brushes can be only one entity at once, there's no scripting engine, there's no real physics engine, etc. But these limits force you to think outside the box and I get a real kick out of using entities in new and unexpected ways. I bet sock felt the same when he built Edge of Forever.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 05-09-2022 03:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes, it's on LvL, thanks for reminding me. However I wanted to give a way to access the sites in the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine. There's far more than just maps for download, like texture packs and tutorials. Some texture packs could be downloaded from LvL as well (notably Sock's skybox textures are part of 100 skybox pack of various authors), but not all of them frankly. And tutorials certainly are not accessible elsewhere. So while the real site is down for maintainance, people can at least access older cached version of the site in Wayback Machine, which I think is a great tool.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 06-02-2022 10:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sadly working in the industry as a level designer these days so no time for hobby maps.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-05-2022 05:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fKd wrote:
Sadly working in the industry as a level designer these days so no time for hobby maps.

I didn't know you turned pro. Congratulations!
For what studio are you working?

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 08-02-2022 10:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Working with Bounding Box Software on Prodeus. We just got the 1.0 content done a few weeks back, and now I'm working on the DLC.

Its an awesome game and the amount of learning I've gotten from working full time is wild.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-09-2022 07:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice work fKd :up: :up:

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-19-2022 04:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not working on it now but I have had this map on my hard drive for ~5 years now.

Posted beta a while back. Only one room partially detailed, minimal lighting. Have thought about finishing it often but not sure if it will ever happen. I miss this community!

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 09-19-2022 07:53 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks neat! If it could use some playtesting, Duff & Raw run servers we can put it on and run some games :drool:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-20-2022 02:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, where is this beta Pat? Share it with us!
Also, to compliment what Foo said, we're also active nowadays on the Q3W Discord. Come join us!
Btw, those textures look nice.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.