Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        mrd3dm2 - Brass Tax

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: mrd3dm2 - Brass Tax

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-26-2022 10:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hola,

This here be the first map I've released in about 20 years. I started mucking around with NRC (NetRadiant custom) a few months ago and next thing I knew I had sketched out a layout and was blocking it out. Duff has been gracious enough to host a couple servers (q3.monroec.com and q3w.monroec.com) so it's been fairly easy to get some play time with real humans lately (mostly Duff, Foo, and raw.) I started working on this map back in early August so it's been nearly 3 months of progress. There were definite gaps where I did not touch it for close to a week at a time but lately I have been full bore on it with detail work, which has proven tedious, and I pretty much hate this map now. :dts: :olo:

Texture wise I decided on EL's old EQ2 texture pack which ended up being really fun to work with. Tried to incorporate some neat geometry using the textures, I think it ended up alright. Gameplay wise I had initially intended to create a 1v1 tourney map but I feel it is too large for that. It does still work but I think it'd likely shine on a 3-4 FFA. I placed a few teleporters around the map to try and speed up gameplay and allow ambushes, etc.

We'll call this a beta#1, I've already gone through 5 alphas with some of the guys on Duff's server, while I hashed out item and map layouts. May or may not do a beta#2 depending on feedback. The layout of this beta#1 is substantially the same as alpha#5, except a lot nicer to look at.

There's a few outstanding items, namely:

- Tweak bots (currently there are zero bot clips or bot_roams), although they do seem to play acceptably as-is.
- Finish off detailing work.
- Work on lighting a bit more. Some areas feel dark or too yellow or what have you. There is a lot of light from shaders, but also a lot of point lights. I tried to keep worldspawn ambient low, it's set to 20 now but I'd like it lower if I can.
- Make jump pads "pop" a bit more. Currently they are not super obvious and I've already had a couple people complain they didn't even realize what they were at first.
- Still open to small item layout tweaks although certain major items aren't going to move (MH, RA, YA, RL, RG, etc.)
- Try to close off lines of sight a bit more in some areas. Right now it's a bit of a rail fest but I'm not against that.

Bonus points for anyone who can nab the YA near the lava pit and get back out without dying.

Anyway, enough rambling, here's the goods.

Final: Download map-mrd3dm2.pk3 here

Final screenshots:

imgur gallery link: https://imgur.com/a/2Xvv4AD

Last edited by mrd on 07-23-2023 12:05 PM, edited 3 times in total.

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 10-28-2022 05:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Beautiful!

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-29-2022 10:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cheers! Join us on duffy's for some more games ya slag :shrug: :owned:

EDIT: Ooops, that was vesp. Well, you should join us too :olo:

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 05-23-2023 10:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Love how this looks. Great lighting!

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-23-2023 11:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Finally got this one finished. I updated the first post with new screenshots and a download link. Map is loaded up on duffy's server - \connect nuegados.com

I'll probably kick this up to LvL shortly for shits and giggles.

Final: Download map-mrd3dm2.pk3 here

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 07-23-2023 01:12 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

FFA on this earlier today was a BLAST

Congrats on the release!

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-27-2023 08:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Aye thanks! Yeah that FFA match was a blast. This map seems best for a 4 - 6 FFA, or TDM. Onto the next one... :eek: :drool: :dts:

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 07-27-2023 01:33 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I capped this from an unlagged demo so the shots look a bit (a lot) behind target. If I had remembered to OBS capture it live it would have lined up right :tard:

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 07-29-2023 08:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This map is great! It reminds me of a mix of old school maps, and it's addictive, it being so vertical. That floor eQ2 texture that you use looks so nice on graphics cards these days. I don't remember that texture looking so detailed in the past. It gets me, it looks so purdy!

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-01-2023 08:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cheers :D :up:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-01-2023 08:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:
Pootube
I capped this from an unlagged demo so the shots look a bit (a lot) behind target. If I had remembered to OBS capture it live it would have lined up right :tard:

Good fun! I recorded this match too. Might be OK with OBS from my end as my ping is a lot lower.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.