Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        What happened to Harry Ellen?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: What happened to Harry Ellen?

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 02-16-2005 02:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

... anyone remembers his article about mapping? I wonder how far his project has gone.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-16-2005 08:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

He was writing a book, or at least in the initial thought processes of putting one together.!

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-16-2005 09:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yea, too bad, I was looking forward to seeing that book!

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-16-2005 07:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Some of his stuff made it into an interesting article in Architecture magazine back in August--I think the board was down at the time. I have a .pdf of the article.

Give me a day or two and I'll upload it to my site and post a link if no one else has a handy link... :)

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 02-16-2005 07:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I remember that. That was a great day for mappers if I recall correctly.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-16-2005 07:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Architecture magazine, August 2004 issue, pages 58-63. :D I have the mag right here! ;)

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 02-17-2005 12:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the article was released while this place was still running. someone allready hosted the .pdf - i have the link written on my printout at home. i'll check if it's still aviable this evening once i'm home.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 02-17-2005 09:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The book is a long-term project for Harry. Also, just because you write a book doesn't mean it gets published. We can hope, tho.

I still have a copy of the pdf, as well. My family was very excited about that article, but I still think they don't understand at all what I do for a living. :)

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-17-2005 09:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So when *are* you going to get a proper job then... :p

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-17-2005 12:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

unitool wrote:
My family was very excited about that article, but I still think they don't understand at all what I do for a living. :)

Just send them a game that you've worked on and say, "I made all the worlds that you run around in." They should be able to figure that out. That's what I tell my family and they seem to get it.

diabolical besier hugger in disguise
PostPosted: 02-17-2005 07:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oh noes, its me...

http://www.zfight.com/misc/files/q3/archmagscanRGB.zip

and oh yea, thats the link to the article's pdf, its a cool read ;]

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-18-2005 03:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Excellent, never seen that before. Makes me want to spend more time on my map..... must quit job...... must quit job :icon28:

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 02-18-2005 05:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

corsair wrote:
oh noes, its me...

D: where have you been hiding ? :p

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-18-2005 07:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

corsair wrote:
oh noes, its me...

Thanks for supplying the link. One less thing on my to-do list. :)

PostPosted: 02-19-2005 10:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fjoggs wrote:
D: where have you been hiding ? :p

been living tru the torment of having to learn ammounts of shitty applications at multimediadesign college o_O

havent done anything quake-related for a long while, mebby next summer i'll get one or two fancy maps done, im filled with inspiration that isnt being let out >:E

PostPosted: 06-12-2005 06:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

pjw wrote:
corsair wrote:
oh noes, its me...

Thanks for supplying the link. One less thing on my to-do list. :)

Apparently that file isnt there anymore. I've lost my copy of it, and I suddenly have the need to quote something from it.. happen to still have the file? ;]

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-12-2005 08:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here you go again: archmagscanRGB

PostPosted: 06-12-2005 08:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thankyou :]

XXXG-00W0
XXXG-00W0
PostPosted: 06-12-2005 10:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

unitool wrote:
The book is a long-term project for Harry. Also, just because you write a book doesn't mean it gets published. We can hope, tho.

Heh, if he doesn't get it published we'll just have to persuade him to post it. :icon30:

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 06-12-2005 02:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

He posted in the Mac forum in April asking how to get Q3A running in OSX after a rather late switch from OS9 :D

http://www.quake3world.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4305

and his last name is Allen :p

cheers

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 06-13-2005 06:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I thought he'd posted here not so long ago asking where various mappers had got to. Or was that over on the Map-Center?

XXXG-00W0
XXXG-00W0
PostPosted: 06-13-2005 06:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anwulf wrote:
I thought he'd posted here not so long ago asking where various mappers had got to. Or was that over on the Map-Center?

That was here, it's where he posted that .pdf about mapping

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 06-13-2005 07:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Survivor wrote:
That was here, it's where he posted that .pdf about mapping

smaller version:
http://www.hounfor.com/q3w/lem/mapping_the_future.zip

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 06-13-2005 09:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The original article must've been posted here some time around the end of August last year, because the pdf copies I have are dated at the very start of September (all before this place went offline).

I think Harry might've posted in one of the other forums here and that's what I'm remembering, but it wasn't until after Q3W was up and running again.

Of course, I could just be :confused:

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 06-14-2005 02:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 06-15-2005 07:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's the one. :)

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 06-16-2005 09:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hairy Ellen?

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 06-16-2005 06:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wasen't his name Harry Allen ;) Not Ellen? ;)

I still don't like the picture of my map in that article, its not a good angle at all, this is LINK

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.