Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        I keep falling through this floor...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: I keep falling through this floor...

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 06-07-2005 04:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[lvlshot]http://www.members.cox.net/borke/radiant.JPG[/lvlshot]

Had this problem before and don't know why it keeps happening. Something I'm doing wrong with the patches there or what?

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 06-07-2005 04:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nope, that's just a striaght base - floor texture.

Thing is, the patches I can walk across fine. The rectangle brushes I can fall right through.

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 06-07-2005 05:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'll give it a try. I just thought the 2 patches where causing it.

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 06-07-2005 05:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If I understand your PM correctly, I'm going to delete that section anyway. So I guess I want worry with it this time.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 06-08-2005 02:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

does that texture(name) have a "_trans" tail? remove it :)

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 06-08-2005 02:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, I can check.

But that is the texture of the upper floor, all of the upper floor. So I'm guessing it has something to do with the way the patches are or maybe just an error I'm causing while texture/compiling ect... though I have no idea.

Last edited by bork[e] on 06-09-2005 12:40 PM, edited 1 time in total.

freakzilla
freakzilla
PostPosted: 06-08-2005 06:40 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bork[e] wrote:
[lvlshot]http://www.members.cox.net/borke/radiant.JPG[/lvlshot]

Had this problem before and don't know why it keeps happening. Something I'm doing wrong with the patches there or what?

rofl..pathetic

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 06-08-2005 06:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hey be nice mister 38 thousand posts. This guy has only been mapping for less than a year and he's come a long way since he first started posting here. He's a good guy. Try helping out instead of laughing.

freakzilla
freakzilla
PostPosted: 06-08-2005 06:55 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SonicClang wrote:
hey be nice mister 38 thousand posts. This guy has only been mapping for less than a year and he's come a long way since he first started posting here. He's a good guy. Try helping out instead of laughing.

So I can't post here is that what you're saying?

Poor bork[e] won't even have time to fall through any floors due to the crushing ownage I'm about to unleash on his very soul...instagib players are funny...I used to smash 3 or 4 of 'em at the same time.

Last edited by Duhard on 06-08-2005 07:00 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 06-08-2005 06:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SonicClang wrote:

He and bork[e] are well aquainted. :icon26:

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 06-09-2005 12:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

freakzilla
freakzilla
PostPosted: 06-09-2005 01:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Post some more links...it'll only take 15 minutes and your little game will be over...for good.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 06-09-2005 03:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Duhard wrote:
Post some more links...it'll only take 15 minutes and your little game will be over...for good.

Words are words. Where are the demos?

freakzilla
freakzilla
PostPosted: 06-09-2005 05:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^misantropia^ wrote:
Duhard wrote:

demos of what...me fucking your aunt?

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 06-09-2005 05:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Seriously. Why is this dick-waving horseshit cluttering up LE&M? Take it somewhere else.

bork[e], if you're falling through those brushes, there are two possibilities that come to mind:

a) They're bad brushes because you did something odd when you made them (or else ninjas or aliens or something are at work). Try deleting and remaking them.

b) They have at least one side that's textured with a nonsolid texture (e.g. nodraw, or something like that). The properties of a brush are determined by which side is listed first in the map file, and the side order changes randomly, so you have to make sure all brushsides are solid.

If you can't figure it out or fix it, post a d/l link and I'll have a look.

freakzilla
freakzilla
PostPosted: 06-09-2005 05:57 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why can't we all get along?

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 06-09-2005 07:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

pjw - I'll give that a try also, as far as I know it was all textured/created right. But I'll remake them to make sure.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 06-09-2005 07:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Holy crap it's PJW! Ahh, how I've missed your pictures.

duhard, you're just being mean for fun... do they allow that anymore? :paranoid:

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 06-09-2005 07:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Duhard is the one that sets the rules around here, check his title please.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 06-10-2005 01:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Duhard wrote:
Why can't we all get along?

Why can't you just fuck off?

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 06-10-2005 08:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SonicClang wrote:
Holy crap it's PJW!

Yeah, they're keeping me busy at Raven--not much time for posting. :)

bork[e] wrote:
Duhard is the one that sets the rules around here, check his title please.

Are you saying Duhard is a mod/admin, or are you just trying to be funny?

If the former...well...if the board gets too full of crap I'll just go somewhere else. No biggie. *shrug*

If the latter:

freakzilla
freakzilla
PostPosted: 06-10-2005 10:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So much hate...maybe we should rename this forum "pjw discussion" or something..

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 06-10-2005 01:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's not about me, man. :)

I have nothing whatsoever against you--hell, I don't even know you. I've posted elsewhere on Q3W other than this forum about twice, so I have no idea who you are. This is the first time I've ever seen you post here. All I know about you is what I know from this thread:

1) You post a lot. <--So what. Doesn't mean anything either way.
2) Your first action was to pass out a ration of shit to someone based on a editor shot.
3) Your next few posts consisted of dick-waving about how unstoppable you are and related crap.

I don't know what kind of history you and bork[e] have. I have no way of knowing if any of this is serious, or if you guys are just buddies giving each other grief. Either way, it doesn't really matter.

The point is that this forum isn't the place for spammage and fucking around--it's a place to get feedback and help on level editing and modelling, and I haven't seen you contribute anything toward that. (I suppose it's possible I missed it in other threads.)

Just my $0.02

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 06-10-2005 02:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Duhard wrote:
^misantropia^ wrote:

demos of what...me fucking your aunt?

I don't think she's hairy enough to your taste. But lets take this to R&R.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 06-10-2005 03:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

pjw wrote:
It's not about me, man. :)

I have nothing whatsoever against you--hell, I don't even know you. I've posted elsewhere on Q3W other than this forum about twice, so I have no idea who you are. This is the first time I've ever seen you post here. All I know about you is what I know from this thread:

1) You post a lot. <--So what. Doesn't mean anything either way.
2) Your first action was to pass out a ration of shit to someone based on a editor shot.
3) Your next few posts consisted of dick-waving about how unstoppable you are and related crap.

I don't know what kind of history you and bork[e] have. I have no way of knowing if any of this is serious, or if you guys are just buddies giving each other grief. Either way, it doesn't really matter.

The point is that this forum isn't the place for spammage and fucking around--it's a place to get feedback and help on level editing and modelling, and I haven't seen you contribute anything toward that. (I suppose it's possible I missed it in other threads.)

Just my $0.02

what he said :D

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-10-2005 04:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Duhard, unless you have something level editing related that you would wish to add to this discussion, please take what you have to say to R&R. People here don't appreciate thread derailing.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 06-10-2005 08:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bork[e] wrote:
pjw - I'll give that a try also, as far as I know it was all textured/created right. But I'll remake them to make sure.

I've had that happen myself. Never did figure out what it was, but deleting them and rebuilding it solved the problem. Have you looked through the compile log for any errors? There may be a hint there.

freakzilla
freakzilla
PostPosted: 06-11-2005 07:03 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Shit I got owned out of Level Editing and Modeling...maybe I should just stick to crushing the guys who make shitty maps...bye.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 06-12-2005 05:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

borke did you ever figure this problem out? Maybe it's not the most technical answer ever... but have you tried deleting the brush and creating it from scratch? Whenever I get a bad brush that's what I do.

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 06-12-2005 08:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nahh, didn't get it working.

I tried most suggestions here but after chating with Kaziganthe a little I've decided to change that up a bit.

So I just deleted that section and ran the crossing a little closer to the wall.

[lvlshot]http://www.members.cox.net/borke/editor1.JPG[/lvlshot]

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-12-2005 09:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you like to re-add this section, this could help:
The last conceivable solution would be to duplicate your curve brushes and add the cushion texture to it.
By duplicating I mean to copy/paste them and put them to the same coordinates as your original brushes. Often solved this issue.

Sorry for lag of reply, but I realized this thread very late :D

sumatra

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 06-12-2005 09:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That "last resort" you made by keeping it close to the wall is gonna cause trouble in the long run. Its quite odd looking (Given the texture and the geometry) and its very small :(

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 06-12-2005 02:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you still have a copy of the old .map, I'm curious. Would you be willing to put it up somewhere and let me have a look?

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 06-12-2005 03:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sumatra wrote:
Sorry for lag of reply, but I realized this thread very late :D

np man, if I end up moving back to the original idea I'll give it a try.

o'dium wrote:
That "last resort" you made by keeping it close to the wall is gonna cause trouble in the long run. Its quite odd looking (Given the texture and the geometry) and its very small :(

Well, I haven't even released a alpha so textures are going to change...Same for the geometry. The size imo isn't too small while in game running for the MH, it might end up being a little small but I'll find that one out later as well.

pjw wrote:
If you still have a copy of the old .map, I'm curious. Would you be willing to put it up somewhere and let me have a look?

Here is an older version with the problem I was talking about. At work currently so can't test if that version is borked or not but above is the .map anyway.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 06-12-2005 04:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Heh. Okay, I finally had a chance to look at it.

Two sides of both of those brushes were textured with a _trans texture. All _trans textures are non-solid, so your brushes were ending up non-solid part of the time, depending on compiler whims.

After I changed them to the normal (non _trans) version of the same texture, everything was happy. (I also noticed that the same _trans texture was on the side patches on the curved part, so don't forget those.) In the future be sure to actually check textures by selecting the faces, or checking what's used in your texture window, rather than just eyeballing it. :)

Also, what's up with all the notex on most of the hidden surfaces in the map file? This really isn't a good idea since those are basically untextured faces, and I'm not sure what problems that might cause. You should probably do a Textures-->Find/Replace and switch most of those to caulk (except for anything you need to be special-property or pass-through, such as skies).

[Edit: LOL. Just realized that Kaz had it in the second post. That amuses me.]

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.