Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Quick question about hints.

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Quick question about hints.

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 06-27-2005 03:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wich way is better?

[lvlshot]http://www.members.cox.net/borke/hints.jpg[/lvlshot]

Was reading a article over at map-center and the lower example is how the guy makes his hints, the top example is how I thought they where made. The guy also says it's better to use it like the below..but I'm just wondering if there is in fact a difference in the two.

tia.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 06-27-2005 03:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eh, the top doesnt work at all.
Here's how it should be:

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 06-27-2005 03:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

haha, I knew that. :( I always turn it the wrong way though...

So the bottom, you would say isn't any better than the way you do it?

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 06-27-2005 04:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmm, I don't understand why he didn't make the portal the same angle, if it was, the top and the bottom choice doesn't make any difference.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-27-2005 04:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 06:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

depends on who 'the guy' who wrote the article is :D

Ive always understood that Fjoggs method was the generally accepted method for hinting. However, given my understanding of hints, I can totally see the other method working as well.

obsidian's article looks good too. Thank god for a hinting tutorial that doesnt focus on a 90-degree-angle hallway :)

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 07:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The first example won't work at all. Nothing will be culled. In the second example, it will work, but it's a less than optimal method that will generate (I think) 4 extra portals that are redundant. Compile and view it with the portal viewer to see what I mean.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 12:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i know this is a bit of a n00bish question but, what are the hint and skip textures in the screenshot for? I know they won't really show up in-game no matter what, i'm just interested in the functions.

XXXG-00W0
XXXG-00W0
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 12:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kammesennin wrote:
i know this is a bit of a n00bish question but, what are the hint and skip textures in the screenshot for? I know they won't really show up in-game no matter what, i'm just interested in the functions.

obsidian wrote:

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 12:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Survivor wrote:
Kammesennin wrote:

obsidian wrote:

heh... didn't see it was linked, lol. I gotta hover over words more often with my mouse in this forum, for some reason the links look just like the normal words here.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.