Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        brk_alpha2

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: brk_alpha2

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 09:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Changes StormShadow suggested:

Elevator feels a little slow tho..
- Speed up a little, I still want it somewhat slow though.

Also, the main chamber is pretty open. You could possibly add a couple large pillars on either side to break it up a bit.
- Added the above, not sure if it's exaclty were you where talking about though StormShadow.

If you choose to break up the room a little, you could also experiment with adding the railgun in a hazardous area..
- I said this last alpha, but next time around I might put 'er in ;) . I want to get some feedback on the layout before I throw anymore pillars around.

Other Changes thus far:
- Completely moved the upper section around 90 degrees to break up the arena to alow for easier hint/skip placement.
- Moved many weapons around and added 1 more SG and alot more health.
- Did a decent job on the hinting, not 100% yet but it doable for a alpha
- Fixed a few areas I found where you could fall through the wall, turns our I ran into the same problem as last time.
- Added RA in a area you can access three ways: 1st is of course to be on the upper area to grab it, 2nd is a little harder: From the 2nd level take the JP to the 3rd level and jump inbetween the support beems leaving the main pillars. Click here for more info And 3rd you need to make a good jump from one side to the other Click here for more info...maybe easy for some of you but it proved to be a decent task for me to get everytime.

Things to do:
- Possibly add a RG
- Still thinking about adding another smaller section
- Of course lighting/textures...
- tweak item/weapons to how you all think would be best
- whatever else you guys think should be done.

Screens:
LG Area
Back section of the arena
Middle section
Lower Area
Over-all View
YA Room

Map:
- 436KB

Last edited by bork[e] on 06-29-2005 12:24 PM, edited 2 times in total.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-29-2005 12:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

File seems to be "borked" :D
Please load it up again....

sumatra

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 06-29-2005 12:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Seems to be working now, don't know why it keeps eating all my files though. :(

Thanks for pointing that out btw.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-29-2005 12:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Works so far...
I had a quick look and noticed some minor issues whilst having some ideas to fix those as well.
But I have to get them sorted first, may take some time, so I'll come back later and give you some feedback.

What I can say for now is the map needs more interesting vertical connections, maybe a teleporter. Also items have to be rethought.

Don't get me wrong, no offence the current status is not to my taste, but as I said I have to sort my thoughts first, (there are many other things floating around in my brain atm)....

sumatra

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-29-2005 01:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dling now, feedback in a few

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-29-2005 01:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

OKay, I looked at it again.

-I like the addition of the pillars, but the area is still a little open for my personal taste, but i guess thats subjective.

-I would swith the ramp to get to the elevator with a few stairs. If you walk/run over the ramp, you sort of pop up in the air for a sec, and it takes a second to land on the the elevator - or if you hit it at a weird angle, you might miss the elevator entirely.

-Since the map is still pretty open, i wouldnt add a railgun. Rail would totally dominate this map - im glad you left it out :)

-I agree with sumatra about vertical connectivity. Right now the only good ways to get to the top are pretty time consuming

-Maybe instead of adding another small room, find a creative way to connect the small rooms you already have. That area sort of behind the lg could connect somehow to the YA room? And then have a hall or something connect to the main room near the jpad under the lg? Just an idea.. (i can post a screenie if you dont understand what i mean)

-The PG and GL are in good locations, but you should consider moving the LG to one of the lower or middle levels. Despite having a range, the LG totally rapes ppl in the open, and having it on a lower level may prevent someone from grabbing it and dominating the top.

Thats it for now!

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 06-29-2005 02:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tested it in CPMA 1v1.

- Too much action revolves around the elevator room because of the PG and the RA. Consider putting a MH in a backroom (will help even out the uber-power of the RA in CPMA).

- YA is in a too awkard position to grab (too risky).

- Lots of dead ends which hinder the flow.

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 06-29-2005 02:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

StormShadow wrote:

-I like the addition of the pillars, but the area is still a little open for my personal taste, but i guess thats subjective

Ahh, I thought the same. Wanted some opinions before I threw anything else around though.

-I would swith the ramp to get to the elevator with a few stairs. If you walk/run over the ramp, you sort of pop up in the air for a sec, and it takes a second to land on the the elevator - or if you hit it at a weird angle, you might miss the elevator entirely.

Sounds good to me, I made it flat once and I just looked weird.

-I agree with sumatra about vertical connectivity. Right now the only good ways to get to the top are pretty time consuming

Hmmm, I'll see what I can do on this

-Maybe instead of adding another small room, find a creative way to connect the small rooms you already have. That area sort of behind the lg could connect somehow to the YA room? And then have a hall or something connect to the main room near the jpad under the lg? Just an idea.. (i can post a screenie if you dont understand what i mean)

Pretty sure I understand, sound like a better idea than was I was thinking also :up:

-The PG and GL are in good locations, but you should consider moving the LG to one of the lower or middle levels. Despite having a range, the LG totally rapes ppl in the open, and having it on a lower level may prevent someone from grabbing it and dominating the top.

I put it higher only b/c I was thinking that would make it just a little harder to get, didn't even think of that..

^misantropia^ wrote:

- Too much action revolves around the elevator room because of the PG and the RA. Consider putting a MH in a backroom (will help even out the uber-power of the RA in CPMA).

- YA is in a too awkard position to grab (too risky).
hmmm, maybe another 50 ball of health sound better?

- Lots of dead ends which hinder the flow.
The whole map in general, or just the YA room?

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 06-29-2005 03:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bork[e] wrote:
The whole map in general, or just the YA room?

Like these:

Easy to get stuck in. Something you don't want when being chased by an opponent with 200 HP and 200 armor.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.