Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        A couple simple problems I'm having

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: A couple simple problems I'm having

eepberries
eepberries
PostPosted: 06-30-2005 12:39 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So I'm starting a map here using but have ran into a few problems that I can't figure out how to fix. The first is with fog. The two selected brushes here are fog

http://ohshi.dyndns.org/testingground/work/sewer1.jpg

Here is how the two are appearing in-game. I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do to the two sides to make them act as a single entity

http://ohshi.dyndns.org/testingground/work/sewer2.jpg
http://ohshi.dyndns.org/testingground/work/sewer3.jpg

And here is the last problem I'm having. I'm not sure what shader I'm supposed to apply to the side of this fence brush that will keep player from walking through it but will allow players to shoot through it. Is this possible?

http://ohshi.dyndns.org/testingground/work/sewer4.jpg

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 06-30-2005 12:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fog can only be one brush, can't be two brushes touching. There is much more detailed info in the manual of Gtk, and someone else could explain better...

As for the fence, put a player clip in the common folder over the fence...that should fix your problem.

Last edited by bork[e] on 06-30-2005 01:44 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 06-30-2005 01:11 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Aye, a simple clip brush is all thats needed.

As for fog, extend it outward as one brush, like this:

(Fog brush is green outline)

eepberries
eepberries
PostPosted: 06-30-2005 01:15 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ah, thanks guys. In the past I've never gotten much into shaders and other special things like that.

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 06-30-2005 01:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
In the past I've never gotten much into shaders and other special things like that.

Only shader I have ever touched was the shader for the skip brush, and only to add it to the list of shaders...no matter how much I try I just can't sit down and read all that... =D

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 06-30-2005 01:57 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Read what? You dont need to read anything. I'll be fucked if I'm gonna sit down and read all that.

For Doom 3 (Q2E) shaders, i simply looked at how id did things and then went from there. Anything I couldn't really tell, I ask berserk.

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 06-30-2005 02:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think the reason I gave up on shaders when I started this was because I tried to take the complete article in in one setting. I kinda wanted to get it out of the way and under my belt but after about 30 minutes of all those shader terms I didn't understand, I closed my browser and...here I am. :)

I haven't even attempted to make/alter any so I might here soon hearing that.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-30-2005 08:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think there was a workaround... copy the nodraw shader and rename it to "nodrawfog". Then add surfaceparm fog. Then texture the faces between fog volumes with your new nodrawfog shader. I think that's the way it worked... haven't needed to do this in a while. There were still some limitations, IIRC - fog volumes still had to be axial and same height or something. Anyway, play around with it and see if it works.

Generally, you would just create a single large fog volume, but there are some cases where you need very localized fog where you would then need the special nodrawfog shader.

On learning how to write shaders, it's definitely easier than you think. It's certainly not like you need programming experience or anything. It's basically a list of parameters.

Download Q3ASE, and play around with it. It lets you see most of the changes that are caused by editing the shader in real-time. So you can add a directive like tcMod rotate and it will actually preview your shader with a rotating texture. Just note that Q3ASE is a little outdated and it's no longer in development. Some Q3Map2 features aren't available. Because of this, I write all my shaders directly in Textpad, but Q3ASE is still useful as a learning tool.

By the way, since you guys are new to shaders, any suggestions that you can recommend for the shader manual to make it easier for newbies?

Downloads:
Q3ASE
Textpad Syntax file I wrote (textpad_shader_040713.zip)

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 06-30-2005 09:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm on vacation all next week and only a one day trip planned with the g/f. I'll spend a good deal a time on the computer next, I'll read the your guide again and see if I can't help ya out there.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 07-01-2005 02:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

eepberries wrote:
And here is the last problem I'm having. I'm not sure what shader I'm supposed to apply to the side of this fence brush that will keep player from walking through it but will allow players to shoot through it. Is this possible?

http://ohshi.dyndns.org/testingground/work/sewer4.jpg

Add surfaceparm nonsolid to the grill shader, then cover the fence with playerclip. Even the bots will shoot through that.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 07-01-2005 09:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bork[e] wrote:
I'm on vacation all next week and only a one day trip planned with the g/f. I'll spend a good deal a time on the computer next, I'll read the your guide again and see if I can't help ya out there.

Hey I'm on vacation all next week too! :) cheers to us!

eepberries
eepberries
PostPosted: 07-04-2005 12:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Heh. Now the next problem I've run into in another test map.

VR huh? Sorta cool but, not exactly what I was going for o_o

Help :(

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-04-2005 06:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That grid texture is hard-coded into Q3. It's basically telling you that Q3 can't find the texture/shader that you are using in the map, so it's displaying this as a default instead.

Check your texture/shader file paths.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-04-2005 10:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

as said before, pull down the console with ` and use page up/down to find the error. You should be looking for yellow text near the bottom, something like "warning: cant find isuckcock/cumonmytits.tga". That tells you the texture name.

Now, from the looks of your editor shot, the texture is fine. But GTK and Rad dont show shaders in the editor, so its your shader for sure. The yellow text in the console will tell you what you did wrong for your shader, but if you cant fix it, just post it here and somebody will fix it for you so that it works. Its possible you pointed to the wrong texture, gave a different blend, or maybe even added a few to many }'s, its a simple mistake to make.

Howeve,r "honestly", that texture does look like its worthless to use a shader. A shiney effect would load from alpha, but it would need to be VERY faint otherwise in that spot it would look wrong.

eepberries
eepberries
PostPosted: 07-04-2005 11:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I didn't use any shaders though :paranoid:. One thing I did notice though it that once compiled, it created a folder under maps called "sewer2" (name of the map) containing the files lm_0000.tga and lm_0001.tga. Am I supposed to do something with these?

Also, when it loads the map, there isn't anything in yellow but near the bottom it says

trying levelshots/sewer2.tga
trying sewer2/A1382qyutraweh89fqwgh.tga <-not actual filename, but you get the point
etc
etc
etc

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 07-04-2005 12:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

eepberries wrote:
trying sewer2/A1382qyutraweh89fqwgh.tga

Should be textures/sewer2/A1382qyutraweh89fqwgh.tga

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 07-04-2005 03:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
GTK and Rad dont show shaders in the editor

What. Sure they do. (Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean or something...) The shaders have a white border around them in the texture window.

eepberries wrote:
it created a folder under maps called "sewer2" (name of the map) containing the files lm_0000.tga and lm_0001.tga. Am I supposed to do something with these?

I'm guessing those are alternate/switchable lightmaps that were created for a particular part of the map. You can set up q3map2 to use lightstyles (i.e. lights in a map that blink or switch on and off, that sort of thing), and when you do, the compile creates a separate file for these altered lightmaps.

Are you using some sort of flickering or blinking light somewhere in the map? If so, there would be a "style" key on the light (and there should be a "_style*" key or keys in the worldspawn to tell the compiler exactly what to do for that style).

I'm not sure if your missing texture is related to the above problem or not, but if not, my guess is that you picked a shader-fied concrete from the texture menu for those walls (instead of just the concrete texture), and it's a shader that's fucked up somehow and/or references a texture that you don't have.

Do you have "shaderlist.txt only" checked (under the "Textures" menu...in 1.4 anyway)? You should if you don't. It will prevent you from:
a) picking textures/shaders that are broken.
b) picking stuff from random maps in your baseq3 and then not being able to figure out where it came from.

Hope this helps.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-05-2005 03:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

pjw, what i mean is that shaders dont show up in the editor. Yes, they show up, but you cant see them in action while browsing textures.

So yeah, you get textures with a box around them to tell you a shader is on this texture, but it wont sit there wiggling about if you gave it a wiggly shader :P It simply draws a pic that the shader tells it to, here.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 07-05-2005 07:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
what i mean is...

Ah, okay, I get what you meant now. Sorry, I figured I was confused.

The early onset of senility is a bitch. :)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.