Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        max to gtk to quake

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: max to gtk to quake

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 07-03-2005 12:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok i've been lookin for this for a while...
i've used the searchbutton inhere :p
I'm sick of searching for the right tutorial...

So anyone can halp me?

I'm a student architecture and want to use the quakeengine for visualisation.
I'm very used to modeling in max, so don't tell me to model in gtk. I do know the basics for gtk though.

Here's my problem: i make a model, export it to md3, and max tells me the shader is missing... what am i doing wrong?

Importing it into gtk it gives a red checkered object with text "shader missing", or something like that. (logic isn't it)

so some questions:
-how do i export to MD3 with a texture/shader
-can i convert an object to a brush in gtk?
-can an object be converted to a map?
-can you add gtk shaders/textures to an md3-object?

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-03-2005 01:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Make sure your exporting your surface correctly. You cant just make a model, you have to point a surface at a texture.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-03-2005 01:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

materials in max need to be named with q3 conformant texture names, these are textures/folder/texname (such as textures/base_wall/glass01)

EDIT: I will recommend using .ase models for mapobjects, they dont have many of the limitations that md3 models do.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-03-2005 01:58 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Does Q3 support .ase?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-03-2005 02:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
Does Q3 support .ase?

No, but q3map2 does.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-03-2005 07:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

See article here

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 07-04-2005 04:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

what is this q3map2 thing,
the article^ said i didn't need it when using GTKradiant. is this right?
i tried the .ase thing, no more red black checkers are shown, it some kind of brown texture, not the texture/pic i wanted

also the model dissapears when not active (in gtk)

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 07-04-2005 05:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yes, i succeeded to export a skinned md3 :)
thx thx thx, was looking for this for a long time
the dissapearing thing was a stupid mistake i guess...-> show entities as... lol
now trying the ase thing

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-04-2005 06:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Q3Map2 is an updated version of the compiling program used by Id Software to convert MAP files to BSP's as well as calculating lightmap data, surface data, collisions, portals, etc. Since Id Software released the source code for the original Q3Map, ydnar has gone through great lengths into improving it. As a matter of fact, most recent Q3-engine based games were compiled with Q3Map2 as opposed to the original Q3Map (Jedi Academy, Enemy Territory, for example).

Recent versions of GtkRadiant come with a version of Q3Map2 installed, though it isn't the latest version. I would recommend downloading the latest version from shaderlab and using that instead (see my signature). Don't install the new Q3Map2 over the old one in the Radiant directory, install it in a new directory... I think some of the lib files are different. Run it with a batch file or download a front-end GUI like Q3Map2Toolz (Google it).

Generally, ASE's are better than MD3's:
-They are just a text file, so it's easy to edit them.
-MD3's need to be compiled from some other format (like from an ASE). ASE's just need to be exported.
-MD3's are limited to a bounding box of (IIRC) 1024x1024 units. ASE's are not.
-Quite a number of programs support ASE (or at least have plugins that do), so it's easy to use import/export from them.

Answers to some of your earlier questions:
Quote:
-how do i export to MD3 with a texture/shader?

IMO, don't bother. Use ASE instead.

Quote:
-can i convert an object to a brush in gtk?

If you mean convert a model to a brush... you can't. If you ever needed to do this, it would be easier to build the thing in GtkRadiant in the first place.

Quote:
-can an object be converted to a map?

No.

Quote:
-can you add gtk shaders/textures to an md3-object?

Yes, of course. See the tutorial linked above (I suppose you already know this by now).

BTW, don't refer to GtkRadiant as "GTK". GTK stands for Gimp Tool Kit, which GtkRadiant is based on - but GTK and GtkRadiant are not the same thing. If anything, refer to it as Radiant or GtkR or something.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 07-04-2005 08:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ok, the md3 stuff works, but the ase stuff doesn't..., no shader
i'm doing exactly the same steps... exporting an md3 and an ase at the end.
Is this because of that q3map2 stuff, feeling such a newb... :p

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 07-10-2005 12:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

succeeded with no problems
the ase stuff rules :)
my mistake was when exporting Mesh options>Vertex Colors was checked...
never thought it could be that easy to export...

md3 keeps giving me problems with the texture, it doesn't always export the texture. when i use a model/texture from a tutorial it works fine, when i use a self made model it doesnt export the texture.

oh well, i can do fine with the ASE format :)

thx bro

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.