Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Player modeling with Lightwave

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Player modeling with Lightwave

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 06:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It is very difficult for me to use radiant because I am so used to lightwave so I have decided to start practicing the lost art of character modeling. My dilema is that I have no idea how to do this with LW or at all. There don't seem to be many resources here about character modeling seeing as how it's all about mapping even though it is level editing and modeling, so if there are any tuts or suggestions on character modeling for lightwave specifically that would be excelent. What is also very important is animation cycles. I don't suppose there is any way I could do that in LW... I never really figured out how it was done at all. Also how to do the head upper and lower tags in lightwave. Should I label them in any special way or just label them regularly? Things like that. I have finally decided that exclusively playing is starting to get boring and I would like to add something to the community. Thank you so much to anyone that would like to help me get started on this journey. For anyone that would like to help me more indepth, I am free on any chat resource you can think of.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 10:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What you mean is this.. there arn't many tutorials specific to the modeling process as it applies to games. There *are* plenty of resources on 'modeling' but you'll need to look hard for the next bit... rigging and prepping for export to a game. If you're using lightwave your best bet is the NewTek forums or the forums of whatever game you're wanting to animate for (Quake 3 I assume... ;) )

Also take a look at the stickys at the top of this 'ere forum section for modeling resources and don't forget the obligitory visit to http://www.polycount.com that's generally where all the *character* modellers hang out.!

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 10:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 05:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hey Lenard, check out this tutorial, its one of the better body tutorials ive read

http://www.nevercenter.com/index.php/Ch ... 20Modeling

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 08:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's helpful but looks like alot of polys for q3. Also, I am more interested of the incorporation of a custom player model into the q3 engine. Specifically animation. I am finding some stuff on my own though.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.