Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Entity only maps

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Entity only maps

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 08-16-2005 10:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Has anyone played around with any maps that are "entity only"?

Anyone have some fairly rich maps? What FPS do you get with them .. numbers wise? What sort of machine are you getting them on?

Please email me, terraformed@gmail.com if you want to contact me privately or post here.

Thanks!

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-16-2005 12:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

you can't make a map that's all entities. you need minimum 4 structural brushes for the world hull, and that's only if your map is a equilateral triangley thingy

edit: or by entity do you mean model? there's a 1000 ent limit in q3 anyway fyi

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 08-16-2005 01:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Assuming we have the minimum structural brushes to make the software happy.

Everything else is entities.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-16-2005 03:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hm, it would really only work as a space map, where the whole map is visible anyway, and to avoid using clip (since you want ents only) you'd have to spawnflag all the models as solid

so yeah, it could be done. you could even do a terrain map with fog and far plane culling, though a fog brush isn't an entity

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 08-16-2005 04:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sounds like an idea for a contest :p

the watching eye
the watching eye
PostPosted: 08-17-2005 05:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
hm, it would really only work as a space map, where the whole map is visible anyway, and to avoid using clip (since you want ents only) you'd have to spawnflag all the models as solid

so yeah, it could be done. you could even do a terrain map with fog and far plane culling, though a fog brush isn't an entity

I think he means that you build your hull out of caulk (like you normally would anyway), and use only models (made in 3dmax or whatever) for the visible walls.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-17-2005 10:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yes that's what i thought he meant, but since that would mean drawing the whole level at once, i suggested a space map, where this is normal. i mean, otherwise you could just cheat and use a wireframe overlay to see where your opponent was, like a wallhack

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 08-18-2005 07:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

blazespinnaker, I've seen you asking this question elsewhere too, and I get the feeling you're trying to do something bigger than what the very directed questions you're asking suggest.

Maybe you could give us some idea of what the scope and purpose of your project is. Let's say your project isn't specifically Quake 3 related for example: Depending on what you're trying to do, Quake 3 might not even be the best engine, and we may be able to suggest alternatives that make your life easier. But unless you actually give us some idea what this is about we're pretty much making blind guesses that aren't likely to be much help to you.

Plus, I'm a nosey bastard and enquiring minds need to know :D

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 08-20-2005 03:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

this is what i do most of the time... full ase-model , surrounding box and spawnflags in gtk. models are getting heavy easely thought.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.