Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        ZeroRadiant 1.6 Development Thread

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: State of GTKradiant? - ZeroRad Development

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 01-04-2010 02:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xpc wrote:
I don't know what your hassle was (back .. when?), for the 1.5 branch and trunk, the information in the file COMPILING is reasonable usable. It's not like chocolate you unpack and can readily eat, though.

Some people is more patient than other when having to set up projects to build. I'm on the impatient side too, and I always hated the way they distribute the dependencies in gtkradiant :P

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-04-2010 02:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Delta NEWS Update (see http://forums.urbanterror.net/topic/19651-zeroradiant-featuresbug-fixes/ for more details, downloads, etc.):

Features:
  • Ported from 1.5: Alternative algorithm to draw the grid.
  • Textool plugin: texture dialog can now be resized, mouse wheel supports zooming.
  • [Linux] Re-worked File Open dialog, use GtkFileChooserDialog, add file filters.
Fixes:
  • Fix crash when loading or importing maps from files without extension.
  • Fix undo loosing entities.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 01-04-2010 03:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A little programmer humor from the mainframe.cpp source:
Code:
#if defined (__linux__) || defined (__APPLE__)
  strINI = g_PrefsDlg.m_rc_path->str;
#elif defined(WIN32)
  strINI = g_strGameToolsPath;
#else
#error "WTF are you compiling this on"
#endif
Nice error message should you be compiling the code neither under Linux, Apple or Win32.

xpc,
Yo, using radiant_VC9.sln worked without a hitch (i.e. loading the project into VC8).

I'll be working on my map soon again, will use your editor version - in real time so to speak - that should yield some interesting feedback, I hope.

Update: Note that your latest binaries radiant-1.6.x-mfn-20100104-105320.zip are actually still pointing to the previous version radiant-1.6.x-mfn-20100101-145648.zip

Update II: Compiled my first version of AEradiant ("teeheehee" >:D )... changed a name in a menu entry as a test... seems to work. Nifty.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 01-04-2010 10:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I still can't start this. I already had the MSVCR pack. But do I need to install it ower another radiant version? I don't really wanna over write my 1.4, so what of all versions do I need? I have 1.5, I rather not destroy that one, since I use it (rarely).
But I would love to test this 1.6 for my new level, I don't like cross mapping...

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 01-04-2010 11:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xpc, have you considered porting the build system from scons to make? scons is pretty antiquated and doesn't play well with e.g. mingw.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 01-04-2010 01:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hipshot wrote:
I still can't start this. I already had the MSVCR pack. But do I need to install it ower another radiant version? I don't really wanna over write my 1.4, so what of all versions do I need? I have 1.5, I rather not destroy that one, since I use it (rarely).
But I would love to test this 1.6 for my new level, I don't like cross mapping...

Well... I installed... v1.2.13 in one folder, then v1.4 in another, finally v1.5 in a third, making sure all those actually work (properly setting paths to the engine etc, choosing the proper gamepack). Finally as listed in the above post above "simply" unpacked v1.6.1 (GtkR-1.6-testbuild :arrow: GtkR-1.6-testbuild-20080901.zip) into a separate v1.6.1 folder. I did not touch any of my valid previous installs, they are all still there. Once that worked, created a duplicate of v1.6.1, named the folder v1.6.x and unpacked xpc's updates into that folder.

So if the gamepack was installed with v1.4, then v1.6.1 should already have all the necessary files, after an unzip... not requiring an actual installer. Alas I cannot re-test all this without deinstalling my working system.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-04-2010 02:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^misantropia^ wrote:
xpc, have you considered porting the build system from scons to make? scons is pretty antiquated and doesn't play well with e.g. mingw.

This question comes up a lot.

No, I haven't considered it. Old or not, currently it works well for me to develop and test for Linux and Windows in parallel. VC ++2008 Express being my main IDE (I would prefer Eclipse though), but the integrated debugging in VC gets me quick into it.

Maybe I should take a closer look at NetRadiant, afaik the got rid of scons and did the switch to make/mingw; but ATM the build environment is stable for me.

AEon wrote:
Note that your latest binaries radiant-1.6.x-mfn-20100104-105320.zip are actually still pointing to the previous version radiant-1.6.x-mfn-20100101-145648.zip

Ach mist, fixed, thanks :)

btw cocks
btw cocks
PostPosted: 01-04-2010 03:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

if I want to install the latest and greatest gtkRadiant to start messing with q3 again, is this the thread to find it in?

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 01-04-2010 03:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

rgoer,
in part yes, if you consider the latest/greatest to be xpc's current fixes and additions to the ZeroRadiant dev tree = the better v1.4 GTKradiant. Though experimental. For stable mapping you'll probably want to stick to v1.4 (see links in my posts above or in our sticky thread "Getting Started...) though.

xpc,
drat I thought I had W,S,A,D camera movement licked (instead of Cursor keys), by "hacking" e.g.
Code:
{"CameraForward", 'W', 0, ID_CAMERA_FORWARD, "menu_camera_forward"},

in mainframe.cpp, alas it turns out that the HandleKeyUp() function does not seem to "deactivate" (toggle) the "CameraForward state"... this works for the special case of the cursor keys e.g GDK_Up, but not for normal keys it seems. Possibly normal keys do not send a proper "key up" signal? But this would explain why the shortcuts.ini file key remapping for the camera movement never properly worked. "Scheissendreck ;)".

Anyway it's still nifty to play around with the source to quicky try out things, alas one seems to require a deep understanding of system programming... never did that.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-04-2010 05:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The temptation... it never fades...

Edit: This got me far enough to get a Radiant error - "Didn't find any game file descriptions". But I did checkout the game files to GtkRadiant/games! Yet too stupid to figure that last bit out...

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 01-04-2010 07:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Got it working. I don't know why it was so problematic before.

However, I now get an error, that my default_project.proj is version 1, not two. And that it will run as it is for now, will this affect the editor in a bad way, what happens with 1.4 if I fix this error?

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 01-04-2010 09:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Alt+4 doesn't filter trans for me (?).
In 1.4 alt+4 filters everything trans more or less, all clips, etc....

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 01-04-2010 09:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hehe so have we moved from everybody using AEon's template textures to everybody checking out the Radiant source to tinker with? :)

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 01-04-2010 11:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xpc wrote:
Maybe I should take a closer look at NetRadiant, afaik the got rid of scons and did the switch to make/mingw; but ATM the build environment is stable for me.

That is sort of the point. make makes it easier for new developers to get up and running. On the off chance that I have some time to kill, if I clone your project and convert it to make, will you consider merging it? And I suppose you will want a Makefile that works on both MS Windows and Unices?

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 01-04-2010 11:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xpc wrote:
VC ++2008 Express being my main IDE (I would prefer Eclipse though), but the integrated debugging in VC gets me quick into it.

You can get scons to run from within Eclipse with a little tweaking in the project properties. But VS is a fine IDE too, of course. Say what you want about MS but they do know how to build great developer tools.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 01-05-2010 03:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hipshot wrote:
Got it working. I don't know why it was so problematic before.

Finally :)... hope the steps I described actually were correct.

Quote:
However, I now get an error, that my default_project.proj is version 1, not two. And that it will run as it is for now, will this affect the editor in a bad way, what happens with 1.4 if I fix this error?

I simply edited the
    Quake3\baseq3\scripts\default_project.proj
file and changed the line from
    <key name="version" value="1"/>
to
    <key name="version" value="2"/>

AFAICT v1.4 still works, i.e. does not complain. But I'd recommend you keep a backup of your old file just to be safe.

Incidentally... I still get two I/O warnings when starting v1.6.x... have not looked into those yet:
Code:
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "file:///D%3A/Games/aeRadiant%201.6.x/global.xlink"
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "file:///D%3A/Games/GtkRadiant%201.6.1/installs/Q3Pack/game/game.xlink"

I am not quite sure why "my" dev version of the editor I run from aeRadiant 1.6.x\ would actually look into a previously unpacked folder version GtkRadiant 1.6.1\. I duplicated and renamed that folder to aeRadiant 1.6.x\, maybe that leaves some paths set to it.

Fixed the former issue by copying Games\GtkRadiant-1.4\global.xlink to Games\aeRadiant 1.6.x\global.xlink. And copied Games\Quake3\Radiant-1.4\game.xlink to Games\GtkRadiant 1.6.1\installs\Q3Pack\game\game.xlink.

My install may be a lot more "messed up" than I thought.

Note: I only use the name aeRadiant 1.6.x for my tests, if you should have issues this will normally be a folder called GtkRadiant 1.6.x or so.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 01-05-2010 04:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hipshot wrote:

Yep... does not seem to work in v1.6.x MFN... I use Alt+7 on clips usually.

Side note: I cannot see any clips in aeRadiant v1.6.x at *all* (clip, weapclip, botclip), and I cannot make them show in the map. Hmmm... almost like a permanent clip filter. I thought I was using the latest source tree (mfn-GtkRadiant-f025eaf.zip)... oh well.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-05-2010 04:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hipshot wrote:

What was it supposed to filter exactly? All shader with surfaceparm trans?

AEon wrote:
I cannot see any clips in aeRadiant v1.6.x at *all* (clip, weapclip, botclip), and I cannot make them show in the map.

I'm on the run ATM, do you think you can try the stock ZeroRadiant binaries from http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/files/ra ... per/1.6.1/ ? If not I'll do it later. thx

FYI, I've like four or more installation at certain times to test things ... 1.4,1.5, stock 1.6, my 1.6, NetRadiant, ...

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 01-05-2010 05:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xpc wrote:
AEon wrote:
I cannot see any clips in aeRadiant v1.6.x at *all* (clip, weapclip, botclip), and I cannot make them show in the map.

I'm on the run ATM, do you think you can try the stock ZeroRadiant binaries from http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/files/ra ... per/1.6.1/ ? If not I'll do it later. thx

Sorry about the confusion... *your* latest binaries (radiant-1.6.x-mfn-20100104-105320.zip) do not show this problem... this is an issue with my local dev environment (and my locally compiled binaries), so you can ignore my "issue".

Choose Color dialog bug (radiant-1.6.x-mfn-20100104-105320.zip):
  • Open a map, add a light entity, then open up the Choose Color dialog via K-key.
  • Set the RGB numbers to 90,60,30 respectively. Hit OK, then K-key again. The color settings have been completely ignored.
  • Set the HSV numbers to 90,60,30 respectively. Hit OK, then K-key again. The Hue and the Saturation values have been "remembered" but the Value is *always* reset to 100.
  • Set the Color name field to #5A3C1E (= RGB 90,60,30). Hit OK, then K-key again. The field gets reset to #FFAA55.
  • In other words Choose Color dialog is completely broken.
  • Please note this is *not* your (xpc's) fault, this has been an issue with v1.4 as well. Alas I don't seem to be able to find the appropriate source that is not working, possibly this is a broken predefined GTK package module (as in simply calling .dll functions), that radiant "simply" calls. The color "picking" worked just fine with v1.2.13.

• Just tested all this with v1.4, here the Value field is reset to 255 instead of 100. But it's just as broken.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-05-2010 07:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AEon wrote:
Choose Color dialog bug (radiant-1.6.x-mfn-20100104-105320.zip):
... snipped great description ...

I've transferred your description over to http://github.com/mfn/GtkRadiant/issues#issue/13 . It would be great if you could add further comments there. No problem if you don't want to, I try to keep track of all things (irc, forums, mail).

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 01-05-2010 07:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
I've transferred your description over to http://github.com/mfn/GtkRadiant/issues#issue/13 . It would be great if you could add further comments there. No problem if you don't want to, I try to keep track of all things (irc, forums, mail).

I am usually a bit slack with these things, but once I get *into* it all is well ;)... will post future bug reports in the bug DB you mentioned above, because these very much help programmers get a quick overview. And I'd ask everyone else to do so too, to help xpc.

Update: Sigh... for some reason the font on that site is totally messed up (encoding probably totally off), so that I cannot read what I type in the bug report dialogs. This is under Firefox 3.5.6, with IE8 it works, argh. :( ... Alas "AEon" was taken as account, using AEonZR instead.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-05-2010 09:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have now figured why I couldn't get the game data into the editor - seems like the latest revision doesn't supply the /tools and so forth. Checking out an earlier revision does the trick though:

svn checkout -r29 https://zerowing.idsoftware.com/svn/rad ... ack/trunk/ ./games/Q3Pack

It's very weird. I started looking at the commands, but decided I would just try whether I can remember them without cheating. They were still all there. Every single one of them. Even the strange camera navigation works like I never took my hand off the keyboard.

Edit: I also needed to install q3 from here and move my old baseq3 into ~/.q3a - I'M TRIPPING THROUGH MEMORY LANE!

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-05-2010 09:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

-=skOre=- wrote:
... Snipped another painful story about settings up radiant ...

Yes, this is also one main issue I'm having with the concept how 1.4/1.6 is set up. To me it's really non-trivial and I can't remember the steps either and once I got it working I basically don't want to touch it again. No solution yet, though. Afaik 1.5 solved this the smart way.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-05-2010 11:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It crashes running Windows 7, 64-bit. I had to enable WinXP compatiblity and disable desktop composition. (I should also mention that I only need disable desktop composition with GtkRadiant 1.5.0, XP compatibility is not necessary)

Some small issues:

On initial setup, it asks me to configure games by finding the engine directory. GtkRadiant 1.6 is installed on C:\ but my Q3 dev stuff is on D:\. The interface won't let me browse to the D:\ drive of my computer, listing only the subdirectories on the C:\ drive. I can manually type in the location and it works, but a little annoying none-the-less.

Also an error message that doesn't seem to break anything:
Quote:
The template project 'D:/GameDev/Quake3/baseq3/scripts/default_project.proj' has version 1. The editor binary is configured for version 2. This indicates a problem in your setup. I will keep going with this project till you fix this.

May be something left over from previous installs. It tells me this every time I start up the program.

BTW, was textools ever included with GtkRadiant 1.5.0?

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 01-05-2010 11:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian,
AEon wrote:
Quote:

I simply edited the
    Quake3\baseq3\scripts\default_project.proj
file and changed the line from
    <key name="version" value="1"/>
to
    <key name="version" value="2"/>

AFAICT v1.4 still works, i.e. does not complain. But I'd recommend you keep a backup of your old file just to be safe.

obsidian no reading my posts above :cry:

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-05-2010 12:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
BTW, was textools ever included with GtkRadiant 1.5.0?

It's in the sources, alas it's not distributed in the binary packages from http://www.qeradiant.com/cgi-bin/trac.cgi .

Btw, do you maybe have a clue about the issue at http://github.com/mfn/GtkRadiant/issues#issue/13 I created from AEons description here?

I found that the source explicitly finds the highest of the three RGB values (be it 90 it that case), scales it to 1.0 on the normalized range and scales the other values too.

E.g. you can never enter a non 1.0 color on any of the RGB values from the color dialog.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-05-2010 02:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I can also confirm the same bug with GtkRadiant 1.5.0. In other words, it's a bug affecting ALL versions! I can set the correct manually calculated values in the entity inspector, but editing them again with the color picker screws them up again.

And yeah, it looks like it's taking the highest value and setting that as the ceiling normalized values and then scaling the other values based on that. It is correct that normalized values should be in the range of 0.0 and 1.0.

(R90 G60 B30) is being incorrectly normalized to ( 90 60 30 ) /90 = 1.0 0.6666 0.3333.

The correct formula should be:

( R+1 G+1 B+1 ) /256

So:

( 90+1 60+1 30+1 ) /256 ~= 0.355 0.238 0.121 (assuming 3 places precision)

A flat gray would be R127 G127 B127 = 0.5 0.5 0.5

In summary, it shouldn't be a normalized value from itself, but a normalized value from the total range of colour values.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 01-05-2010 02:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anyone else having the problem that the editor moves down a bit on the screen? The main windows (menu window) that is, not the blueprint or any other view.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 01-05-2010 02:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

As a test I removed the code that was doing this extra normalization, and the Choose Color works exactly as it should.

My guess is someone tried to port the code initially used for shaders (that get their color values automatically normalized) into the editor code, for some weird form of consistency. But that thinking would only be valid - if at all - if you could specify any RGB color values you wanted. But since these are 0-255 restricted (in the dialog), you *never* get into an "out of bounds" situation.

BTW, all this works fine in v1.2.13... lets hear it for old-school editors :toothy:

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 01-05-2010 02:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This might be really heavy (or not), but is it possible to make it so that you can undock the texture and ent inspector from each other so that they are two seperate windows and also, make an option to put windows always on top. So that I can always have the surface inspector where ever I want it and always open? =) Now I need to resize windows and shit to keep that "open" else it falls behind.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 01-05-2010 03:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hipshot wrote:
Anyone else having the problem that the editor moves down a bit on the screen? The main windows (menu window) that is, not the blueprint or any other view.

I had to place the windows several times until they (all separated) finally stuck were I wanted them. It seems to help to be *very* careful to place the main window exactly *inside* the desktop area, if you are one pixel out of screen, the editor places the window further down on restart. One pixel in-screen should be on the "very" safe side.

This is probably part of the multi-monitor legacy code that tries to avoid your windows suddenly being off-screen (e.g. you had two monitors, then disconnected one and can no longer see the window). Just a guess.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 01-05-2010 07:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hipshot wrote:
This might be really heavy (or not), but is it possible to make it so that you can undock the texture and ent inspector from each other so that they are two seperate windows and also, make an option to put windows always on top. So that I can always have the surface inspector where ever I want it and always open? =)

I guess it very much depends on how often you actually use the Textures dialog. I only use it a lot at the beginning, and later in the map simply grab the texture I need from another surface. The option for a separate Texture dialog might be nice though.

Here is my current editor layout on a single monitor (sorry, image is 600KB):

For me a quick tap on the T-key to change from Entities tab to Textures tab is not really much of a deal. *But*, if you happen to be using two monitors, separating the windows could be quite handy, e.g. Surface inspector, Textures, Entities all permanently open on the 2nd monitor, maybe also the 3D view or the Console (it logs everything happening in the editor in real time, this may also be interesting to follow).

The "always in front flag" for windows should be system standard, Directory Opus (WinAmp?, mIRC?) and a few other tools let you do that. Again as a Prefs option for the folks who would rather not have this happen would be good, as you mentioned.

I had a short discussion with xpc about the Textures dialog, i.e. implementing a texture/shader file browser to the left of the textures like in v1.5. I suggested that the browser part of the window can be hidden/folded away, to give you the maximum space to view textures once you picked the folder of interest. It could be nifty to control such things via some icons at the top of the Textures window, i.e.:

• Show/hide texture file browser.
    Selecting a texture will highlight the texture folder name/shader name in the file browser view.
  • Show textures at one fixed size.
  • Scaled by 50%, 25% etc.
  • Show/hide quick filter bar for texture names.
  • Show/hide texture names.
  • Define texture favorites that take up space in the upper part of the window (always visible), e.g. clip, botclip, caulk, and in-game main textures, hide the rarely used textures.
  • That brings up a nifty alternate possibility, sort textures by usage counts... this sorts textures rarely used to the bottom of the list where they get less in the way, e.g. weapon/item decals.
  • Sort by file name.
  • Sort by texture folder / shader file name.
  • Show source code for selected shader.

I'm sure there are other nifty things that might be useful in the Textures view. Just dreaming here... personally I'd want to see quite a few other things added first (primarily the real-time rotation code for models - and the texture alignment ideas, as suggested further up).

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 01-06-2010 01:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

what are the levels for?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-06-2010 03:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hipshot wrote:
This might be really heavy (or not), but is it possible to make it so that you can undock the texture and ent inspector from each other so that they are two seperate windows and also, make an option to put windows always on top. So that I can always have the surface inspector where ever I want it and always open? =) Now I need to resize windows and shit to keep that "open" else it falls behind.

Apart from the undocking of texture/entity tabs - I use KDE, so I can do this kind of stuff out of the box :D Go Kubuntu!

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 01-06-2010 03:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Theftbot wrote:
what are the levels for?

Levels?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.