Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        New map - alpha 1

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: New map - alpha 1

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 08-30-2005 09:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No idea why I'm calling it shrimp atm...this is something I've been working on and think it might be worthy to continue with.

Lets be honest for a minute though, I'm sure most of you have seen me post countless maps that have gone through (at the most) two versions. Always something I've done to totally fuck the map up, game play...horrible layout ect. I feel like I've got it under control on each *new release* but I always end up starting over.

So, sorry if my monthly builds get a tad boring, I have fun doing it and I'm sure you guys get a kick out of watching me screw up each time.

Now, flame my latest map to death please. :icon30:

[lvlshot]http://www.members.cox.net/borke/shrimp/bird.jpg[/lvlshot]
[lvlshot]http://www.members.cox.net/borke/shrimp/main.jpg[/lvlshot]
[lvlshot]http://www.members.cox.net/borke/shrimp/RG-RA.jpg[/lvlshot]
[lvlshot]http://www.members.cox.net/borke/shrimp/RL-YA.jpg[/lvlshot]
[lvlshot]http://www.members.cox.net/borke/shrimp/shrimp8.jpg[/lvlshot]

my first tourney map, Download here 755Kb.

Last edited by bork[e] on 08-30-2005 09:10 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 08-30-2005 09:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey, your other one that you started for the layout, um.. Jest4 maybe? Enjoyed playing around on that.. so ill be grabbing this one too.. expect to see these in the Q3W video :P

It curdled, and then I couldn't drink it. So I mixed it with some water, and it was alright again.

I am now sick.

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 08-30-2005 09:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hehe, I like that map as well...but the more I worked on it the more like crap it became. And yeah, the last one was something like jest4...I actually just deleted it off my webspace, might come back to it later on.

Just keep in mind 99.99999% of my stuff is alpha, and textures and lighting...looks in general are no where near in my mind. Just gameplay.

Nice to know you enjoyed it though. :icon14:
SOAPboy wrote:
expect to see these in the Q3W video :P

ahaha, I've been trying for about a week now to get something decent to send netrex, but can't. And then just about 20 minutes ago I was at the lounge and (lucky oh me) snagged about 4 kills back to back to back to back that was pretty damn nice. Though you could tell it was blind luck, would still be a nice little piece for the movie.....but of course my autorecord autoscrewed me and didn't start when I though it did. :olo:

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 08-30-2005 09:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bork[e] wrote:
hehe, I like that map as well...but the more I worked on it the more like crap it became. And yeah, the last one was something like jest4...I actually just deleted it off my webspace, might come back to it later on.

Just keep in mind 99.99999% of my stuff is alpha, and textures and lighting...looks in general are no where near in my mind. Just gameplay.

Nice to know you enjoyed it though. :icon14:
SOAPboy wrote:
expect to see these in the Q3W video :P

ahaha, I've been trying for about a week now to get something decent to send netrex, but can't. And then just about 20 minutes ago I was at the lounge and (lucky oh me) snagged about 4 kills back to back to back to back that was pretty damn nice. Though you could tell it was blind luck, would still be a nice little piece for the movie.....but of course my autorecord autoscrewed me and didn't start when I though it did. :olo:

Well if you wanna check out the demos, lemme know ill toss the ones from your maps your way :D

Xfire baby :p

just trick stuff tho.. i dont "do" frag stuff.. i never can remember to record :olo:

It curdled, and then I couldn't drink it. So I mixed it with some water, and it was alright again.

I am now sick.

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 08-30-2005 09:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anything you got send my way, would like to see how you view the map (rather it's fighting or jumping around...I actually just noticed if you hit the stairs the right way where the LG is you can reach the other platform with the 25 health ball)

Sure there is much more I don't know about either. :D

off to bed now though, you can email the demos or whatever. info is in profile.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 08-30-2005 09:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bork[e] wrote:
Anything you got send my way, would like to see how you view the map (rather it's fighting or jumping around...I actually just noticed if you hit the stairs the right way where the LG is you can reach the other platform with the 25 health ball)

Sure there is much more I don't know about either. :D

Hit me up on xfire ill be on for a short while

Edit: Sneaky editing bastard >:E ill email you

I am now sick.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-31-2005 04:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, first of all GREAT layout!
The time you've spent on each layout before, was worth it.

Maybe it plays well in 1on1 (I had just 2 quick matches against a Bot), it plays very good in FFA-matches, thats for sure.

For your 1on1-Layout, I like the overall itemplacement, just some things that I have noticed:

- RA and YA does not work for this, you can control both of them too easily, I would go for a MH (see itermplan on the bottom)

- Railgun is a heavy wepon on your huge LOS (line of sight), so I would replace the current RL with the RG (if oyu want to keep it). The spot is very dangerous down there. Some small lava pits would add a tad more hazard in this area, and give some nice touches as well.

- Regarding the LOS again I would try to cut some large LOS down by a wall or some pillars. Overall it works.

- The RL could move as marked on the itemlayout, like the other weapons as well. I think with that layout the map could play ver well in 1on1 matches. For FFA you could add an Powerup as well.

- I didn't understand your teledestination, cause it makes no sense to teleport from one end to the other of the map. Personally I dont like to lose my enmy, if he uses the teleporter. If you change the destination as on the plan, you know exactly were your enemy wants to go (YA) and could chase him down him with some well placed shots.

- Your RA room is fine :), maybe add a GL at top for minor spam, but please remove the RG in this room (and move it to the current RL spot). It's the hardest combo on this map, RG/RA!

I like your connections very much, the map has a good flow, also if it seems to be a tad overscaled. But if you add enough detail step by step the map is getting well scaled :) ...

Finally my thoughts in your "birdscreenie"

[lvlshot]http://scifi.pages.at/sumatra/bird-layout.jpg[/lvlshot] :icon25:

Can't wait to see the changes (that you want to do) in a new version.
I'm sure it'll turn out nice.

sum

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 08-31-2005 07:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good suggestions, didn't think about most of it. Gonna play around for a few on it and see what else come out of this one...but for now, got to get ready fo class.

Thanks again. :)

Holy Fucking Shit
Holy Fucking Shit
PostPosted: 08-31-2005 07:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i liked it and think it would make a good 1v1 map :), hope you continue with this

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 08-31-2005 08:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah i just had tourney, 60 odd frags. Wasn't to bad.

I think my main gripe with the level is on a few of the bounce pads its Waaaaaaaaaaay to easy to bounce into things, such as walkways above.

It should be a very nice map if you decor it nicely, just remember to add some sky holes :p

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 08-31-2005 10:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What causes this crap?

[lvlshot]http://www.members.cox.net/borke/shrimp/lost.jpg[/lvlshot]

Is it because the map in general isn't hinted correctly yet, or is this caused by a certain mistake?

I've noticed it since the first compile, but haven't been able to solve it.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-31-2005 12:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Do you mean the blue lines?
What Editor do you use?
IMO this has nothing to do with Hints, but I've also never seen anything like this before...

If you use GTK radiant 1.5 switch over to 1.4!
The newer one is still Beta AFAIK.

Else I dont know how to seolve this problem.
Maybe load the mapfile up to some webspace and make it public, so I could have a look at it...

sumatra

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 08-31-2005 12:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GTK 1.4.0
That's the .prt file, just trying to see where I can gain a little performance in the map. Once I start detailing I have a feeling the frame rate might get slow on some machines.

edit: Btw, just trying to figure out wth that is on the botton left corner...I don't think it should be there.

also, the map file is in the pk3. :)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.