Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Absolute Newbie Question About Tutorials

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Absolute Newbie Question About Tutorials

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 11:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Howdy,

First, I'd like to thanks AEon for the mapping file links (gtkRadiant, q3map, and q3map2toolz). I've downloaded all three of them (a pretty good feat for dialup <G>).

Having played computer games all the way back to the days of Pong (I'm nearly 50), I'd like to try building some Q3A levels just for my own enjoyment.

Is there a good, basic "how-to" article that you're aware of that covers the real nuts and bolts of getting started?

My thanks in advance for the help......................

Lasery Roboty
Lasery Roboty
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 01:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://www.levelsource.com/pages/site/tutorials.html <- that's my recommendation. Its for RTCW but they are very very similiar in mapping technique, so that's my advice.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 02:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks for the link! Reading over it at work, it sure sounds simple enough, though I realize there's a lot more to it than that.

What I'm wanting to do (eventually) is map a particular existing building. It was built in 1922, has been added on to at least three times, has a variety of halls, floors, architectural changes, etc. All in all, about 75 rooms in three main buildings, I think.

I do appreciate the rapid reply. It's nice to have help when it's needed! :icon14:

Lasery Roboty
Lasery Roboty
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 02:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No worries, feel free to ask if you have any more questions. Its usually rather hard to make locations that exist IRL, but if you feel you can handle it, very cool :D

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 05:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Those tutorials are intended for use with gtkradiant 1.1 thru 1.4. They do not apply to gtkradiant 1.5. Just feel like I should say that. I'm also probably going to update them sometime and also add a "walkthrough"... This walkthrough will take peeps from beginning to end on how to make a map and demonstrate some the steps and principles to mapping quickly and efficently. That's been something Ive been wanting to do for awhile now. Maybe after I finish redq3dm5.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 05:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Let me also say, Mercury, if you're looking only to experiment with mapping and it's really only for your enjoyment, then q3 is perhaps one of the best platforms to work from. There is a bunch of content avialable for q3 and it is superb for development. Good luck! :D

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 07:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What a great group of responses. Looks like I'll be getting to sleep later than usual tonight <G>.

Again, my thanks to all of you for the links, guidance, and counsel!

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 02-22-2005 03:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

One of the sites I lived off of when I started mapping, and still use as of today. http://fps.brainerd.net/ Everything from jumpads to teleporters to shadow problems etc...There are many many more over in that thread you grabbed Gtk and the rest from, just scroll down to the Tutorials part of the thread. ;)

One of the biggest problems I had was configuring Q3map2 Toolz to run on my system, just due to n00bism on my part. So just in case you haven't got this part working...

The Quake3Arena.exe is obviously located in your Quake 3 Arena folder.

The q3map2.exe is once again, located in the q3map2 blah blah folder.

The one that gave me the most problems, the path to your BSPC.exe. This is located in C:\Path\to\Quake3Arena\GtkRadiant\bspc.exe

That should get you going as for compile options...for other info go http://www.xs4all.nl/~lamanj/webstuff/f ... rence.html

That's all I can really think of atm, any more questions just post away.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 02-22-2005 07:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

First off, Absolutely must read, AND understand. Might take you a few reads, but keep at it, n ask questions. You'll get it eventually...

http://www.planetquake.com/spog/stuff/technical.html

Simply, caulk everything that is not seen. Anything that is not meant to block vis (visibility) should be made into Detail (ctrl-M in GTK Radiant), everything else should be structural.

Make sure when your brushes meet, they don't meet at T junctions. Where you need a T Junction, split the brush your attatching to, so the vertices of brush A touch the vertices of the split brushes. Always build so vert touches vert. If you don't you get nasty effects.

NEVER use the CSG functions, Subtract, Hollow, Thicken etc. Merge is fine.

Lastly, read lots of tutes :)

good luck, tis great fun :)

Venus

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 02-23-2005 06:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anyone mention the "Resource Sticky"?

http://www.quake3world.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=290

blaze a blaze
blaze a blaze
PostPosted: 02-23-2005 10:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'd recommend to take a look at articles mentioned in this thread.

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 02-23-2005 05:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There is a thread going that talks about the possibility of the mapping community dying pretty fast. From the looks of this thread alone I don't see that happening any time soon. :)

Few new faces around (names rather, so it seems?) But I don't see this community dying anytime before at least q4 is out.

Anyway, yeah that is pointless in this thread...but ya know.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.