Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Storm3Tourney6 final! Get it while its hot!

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Storm3Tourney6 final! Get it while its hot!

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 06:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

After weeks of beta testing, its finally a final!!

(copied from another forum post :D)

Fixes:
-replaced skybox
-added some more structural details, improved texturing
-fixed multiple texture misalignment bugs
-changed PG and SG locations
-fixed gate texture - you can now see it from both sides
-lit some of the dimmer areas - not too well though, i want some darkness to the map :)
-ran patchshadows in my compile so those big ass curves actually cast shadows
-did a ton of stuff for bot optimisation; bot clipping, cluster portalling, etc..

As many of you know already, this map is about 2 years old, I only recently found it on my HD gathering dust and decided to go ahead and give it a face lift and do some gameplay tweaking. Im pretty satisfied with it, and I hope you all enjoy it!

This map is geared towards competetive play, CPMA, OSP, etc. Its intended for 1v1 but it plays well as a small FFA (probably with no more than 5 people).

The map is designed for fast paced fragging, with lots of good routes across the map and between vertical levels. The item and weapon placement is condusive to movement, and hopefully bad for camping :) All feedback is appreciated, post here or email me!

Thx a lot!

DL from here:
http://www.infosprite.com/members/Storm ... urney6.zip

or here:
http://www.fileplanet.com/dl.aspx?/plan ... urney6.zip

Last edited by StormShadow on 02-22-2005 03:20 PM, edited 1 time in total.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 08:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't remember this at all.. downloaded it but from the screenies it looks well big for just 1 on 1..!

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-22-2005 04:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh, i copied the post from another forum where i beta tested.

Its a good size for 1v1, - its actually smaller than most 1v1's, methinks.

Swift and Deadly
Swift and Deadly
PostPosted: 02-22-2005 03:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Interesting/nice looking map. Gonna check this one out. Heck, may even talk to a guy over on our clan site and see if he may want to add it up on our ffa and osp server.
:)

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-22-2005 10:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just had a quick route around, nice atmos, nice details in places and some good use of textures. Also nice to see a decent attempt at some cut up brushwork. I'll bot-i-fy it later...

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 02-23-2005 12:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

a few questions:

- how did you make the lighting on the second shop look so up to date? it seems different from what quake3 normally looks like
- what texture set is it?

btw - the portcullis really add's some atmosphere! :icon14:

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 02-23-2005 12:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

my only gripe is the lamps and stuff.. down straight areas where there kinda "poking" out, tend to stop your movement because your clipping them..

invert those beasts and stick em to the roof =P

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-23-2005 06:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sorry my bot file didnt work for the original download.. I uploaded a new version yesterday afternoon so if you downloaded since then, your bot file should work. I apologize for this oversight.

BTW if you dont have the bot file and dont want to re-dl, just open the pk3, got to maps dir, change boobs.aas to storm3tourne6.aas and your good to go!

Quote:
- how did you make the lighting on the second shop look so up to date? it seems different from what quake3 normally looks like

q3map2 + quality textures :)

Ill paste the command line I used to compile if youd like.

Quote:
- what texture set is it?

The bricks and stones are from the Gnosis set by Undule (originally a ut set i believe) - they were used in gm3tourney2 by glassman - which is why they may seem familiar.

The Wood ceilings and wooden box textures are from the gloom texture set. Ive had this set for sooooo long that I forgot where I got it or who made it. If you know, let me know so I can give credit where its due.

Quote:
my only gripe is the lamps and stuff.. down straight areas where there kinda "poking" out, tend to stop your movement because your clipping them..

I had them unclipped untill swelt of promode fame told me to clip em! Although I tried to clip at angles that wouldnt interfere with movement too much, your right that I should have thought to invert them a bit. However, after you get used to it, the clipping doesnt interfere too much :)

Thx for comments!

Map is in rotation here if anyone is interested: Burial-Grounds OSP Server|74ms|69.93.142.181:27960

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 02-23-2005 06:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

StormShadow wrote:
q3map2 + quality textures :)

hm... i think it's especially the marble floor and the stone archs :icon14:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-23-2005 08:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yeah, thats one of the many benefits of working with a great tex set :)

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-23-2005 08:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks pretty ace... I'll give it a look when I get home.

blaze a blaze
blaze a blaze
PostPosted: 02-23-2005 10:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I somehow omitted this one while it was in beta stage :( My bad.
It looks great and plays well though I think nonsolid lanterns would make this maps much better. There are couple z-fights here and there, but because it's final I keep details to myself ;)

Anyway GJ Storm.

BTW Do you plan to make something more for Q3? Or you go into other games (ET)?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-23-2005 03:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
BTW Do you plan to make something more for Q3? Or you go into other games (ET)?

I dont know.. ive dabbled in ET mapping (and even released one map that was very successful) but its just not as fun as mapping for q3 :)

Ive released 3 q3 maps in the last year or so, and every one of those maps I said 'this is my last map for q3!'.. and well.. here we are :) I will probably continue to map for q3 - just so long as its fun for me, and not too much stress(like ET) :)

I would have liked to have your feedback, as this is a competetively oriented map, but its no big deal, I still think it turned out well.

Glad you like it!

blaze a blaze
blaze a blaze
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 08:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

StormShadow wrote:
I will probably continue to map for q3 - just so long as its fun for me, and not too much stress(like ET) :)

Glad to hear that.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 08:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Was gonna do some tricks on these, but there came the holidays. :p
Gimme a few days and I'll have some.

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 05:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Great map. I love your spiderwebs. BTW, are those volumetrics textures or 1337 hax?

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-25-2005 07:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure the webs are a patch mesh or two with vertex deformation...I'm sure StormShadow will correct me if I'm full of crap. :)

Nice job on this one. A lot of thought obviously went into layout and connectivity; although it's not extremely vertical, it still offers a great range of choices and strategies for movement and gameplay. The RG with a nice straight shot to the MH was a nice touch, as are the slopey terrain bits to allow hops up the wall in spots.

Re: aesthetics, the map shines there as well. Nice detail touches everywhere, nice and shadowy without being too dark to play, and that upper part of the central atrium (shown in the middle shot above) is just outstandingly cool.

Kickass.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-25-2005 08:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The second screenshot with the brushwork above the main room is gorgeous, there is no other way to describe it! At last a cpm style map that has detail high up and does not slice the top of the map off like some strange brushwork decapitation. I saw this map over the shoulder of PJW and it has a very nice flow with trick jumps all over the place, excellent work.

A couple of visual things, the map has too many light fixtures with lens flares everywhere. Im not meaning less actual light entities but less fixtures. Maybe it could do with more variants or different colour tones, but at the moment it feels like too much. This is the same problem that fjoggs had with his map, you need more colour tone variety and less glowing lights.

You have these very artistic archway designs above various routes around the map. (I assume its something you created as a prefab) The one thing I noticed about them is the texture alignment on parts of it look misaligned. Its certainly a very nice design which adds to the overall atmosphere of the map.

I liked the attention to detail with the dirt/broken stone on the floors and the 'pushed up' earth acting as jump up points. (Very nice touch) It would have been nice to see two different materials blended on the floor. With the addition of alphamod blending to q3map2 its certainly easier than before to do.

Nice work.
Sock

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 09:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
'm pretty sure the webs are a patch mesh or two with vertex deformation...I'm sure StormShadow will correct me if I'm full of crap

Nodraw brush with spiderweb tex over em :D

Quote:
A couple of visual things, the map has too many light fixtures with lens flares everywhere. Im not meaning less actual light entities but less fixtures. Maybe it could do with more variants or different colour tones, but at the moment it feels like too much. This is the same problem that fjoggs had with his map, you need more colour tone variety and less glowing lights.

I thought the lens flare effect was actually pretty cool.. but maybe it was too much?

Ill keep in mind your comments about adding different color tones for my future projects. Looking back, it seems like an obvious thing that I should have done.. oh well.

Thanks for the feedback all! Im really glad everyone is enjoying it, especially since I wasnt able to test as much as I would have liked to.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 10:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sock wrote:
This is the same problem that fjoggs had with his map, you need more colour tone variety and less glowing lights.

Nice work.
Sock

Hey hey, easy now. :p

(ps: i still owe you for that lecture ;))

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 01:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

OMG pjw, you're still hanging around here? :D I see you got your old profile working with no problem... I have to use this silly "TempSonicClang" thing until things settle down with the server.

Add 870 posts to what it says my total is (SonicClang is my real profile)

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 01:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

StormShadow wrote:
I thought the lens flare effect was actually pretty cool.. but maybe it was too much?

It was the quantity of lensflares not the quality.

Fjoggs wrote:
Hey hey, easy now. :p

(ps: i still owe you for that lecture ;))

Ummm I thought you wanted the feedback and suggestions I gave you on your lighting, oh well can't please everyone I suppose. :shrug:

Sock

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 02:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sock wrote:
Ummm I thought you wanted the feedback and suggestions I gave you on your lighting, oh well can't please everyone I suppose. :shrug:

Sock

Bah, you know I was only interested to get in your pan.. err, whops.
Meh, simple jokes. :p

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 02:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it looks awesome! cant wait to try it :P

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.