Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Multiplant fix??

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Multiplant fix??

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 08:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wasn't there a fixed shader or a corrected set of files for the multiplant pack? I thought we had it listed in the sticky but can't find it. Anyone know where the *fixed* mutliplant pack can be had?

PostPosted: 02-21-2005 08:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So far all I've found are dead links. But yes the fixed multiplant pack does exist. Somewhere.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 09:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh, well at least I know I wasn't seeing things..!

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 02-22-2005 07:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I made a fixed PK3 of all the multiplant files. I'll see if I can find it....

BTW, take a guess. Who am I?

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-22-2005 08:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Meridanox wrote:
....BTW, take a guess. Who am I?
His holyness The Pope? President Bush(tickler)? Or Joey from down the street? ;)

If you can dig out the MPlant fixed pack that'd be really great :icon25:

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 02-22-2005 08:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Check your e-mail Kat.

Yes, it's me. I've been lurking around for the past while, since I noticed that Q3W's been up. I've been having account problems and since we have DB and mail server issues, I'm temporarily locked out of my normal account. This new one has just started working...

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-22-2005 09:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks.

Quick question though... if there are maps in the baseq3 that use the old Mpack then that's going to cause problems isn't it? It's been a while since I used the plant pack but a current map I'm doing is having problems with the alpha channels even though the 'editing' files are correct. My guess is a conflick with an older map using the older files and shaders?

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 02-22-2005 10:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Probably. Remember, Q3 reads PK3 file names in alphabetical order so later PK3 names are read last and will (should) overwrite any previous files loaded into memory. Try renaming the PK3 to something like z_multiplant.pk3 or something.

Let me know if you have any luck with that. If not, I'll see if I can modify the models further to use completely new shader names/file paths/texture names.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-22-2005 10:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ah that worked... will need to remember that for distribution of the map

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 02-22-2005 11:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Do me a favour Kat, and rename that file to zmultiplant_v2.pk3 for the sake of consistancy. I'm going to change my local copy and eventually I'll have the file uploaded somewhere with the changed PK3 file name so other people don't have this problem. Thanks.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-22-2005 12:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yeah, that's kind what I did, although I named it 'zzz_*.pk3' becasue I think there are a couple of mappers with at least one 'Z' in their nicks ('zombie' springs to mind, although I'm not sure if he used that nick for Q3 - zq3dm1.pk3 etc..). Will change it to whatever you suggest in light of the problem noted above.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 02-23-2005 06:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmm... good point. zzzmultiplant_v2.pk3 makes better sense then.

<-- LOL! I find this very disturbing... makes me look noobish.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-23-2005 09:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Heh, I wouldn't worry about looking like a newb.. I completely forgot about that PK3 loading priority thing myself.

I'm still getting some odd errors though that I can't quite say are 100% to do with the over writing shaders. It's been a while since I did any real Q3 mapping so I@m having to remember a lot of stuff

blaze a blaze
blaze a blaze
PostPosted: 02-23-2005 10:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Meridanox wrote:
Check your e-mail Kat.

Can you send this pk3 to me
l u k i n @ planetquake.com, or (better) place on some www (though I'm in a bit hurry)?
Thanks in advance :icon34:

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-23-2005 02:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lukin wrote:
Meridanox wrote:
Check your e-mail Kat.

Can you send this pk3 to me
l u k i n @ planetquake.com, or (better) place on some www (though I'm in a bit hurry)?
Thanks in advance :icon34:
Pop on to ICQ.. I'll forward it to you from there (unless you've already got it by now)

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 02-23-2005 02:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kat wrote:
Heh, I wouldn't worry about looking like a newb.. I completely forgot about that PK3 loading priority thing myself.

I'm still getting some odd errors though that I can't quite say are 100% to do with the over writing shaders. It's been a while since I did any real Q3 mapping so I@m having to remember a lot of stuff

Actually, I was refering to my rank. (I'm a gibblet again!)

What kind of errors are you still having? Post a screenshot? I'd like to iron out all the errors before distributing it.

@Lurkin: I'll send/upload it once I finalize the models to make sure other people aren't having any more problems.

Don't be koi
Don't be koi
PostPosted: 02-23-2005 02:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Meridanox wrote:
BTW, take a guess. Who am I?

Ryodox, is that you?

;)

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-23-2005 05:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Meridanox wrote:
....What kind of errors are you still having? Post a screenshot? I'd like to iron out all the errors before distributing it....
I found out what the main error was and it happened to have nothing to do with the multiplant (it was becasue I was using 'q3map_lightmapmergable' in the terrain shader I'm using, it basically buggered the smoothgrouping of the terrain model).

I'm trying to get the second one sorted out by doing a bit of remodelling (using ASE instead of MD3) and if the error is still there then I know something is going iffy somewhere still.

I sent a copy of the pack to Lurkin, maybe he can double check the pack to see if he gets any errors as well.

blaze a blaze
blaze a blaze
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 08:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks for the files!
I didn't notice any errors ATM.

Quote:
@Lurkin....

Lol, lurkin != Lukin :icon26:

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 08:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lukin wrote:
Quote:
@Lurkin....

Lol, lurkin != Lukin :icon26:
I blame age..! :icon25:

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 11:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

We must both be getting old.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 11:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok.. yeah I think there's either an error on a couple of the models or somewhere else in the pipeline. I'll post a screenshot in a bit but the 'plants' seem to have chunks missing from them. I can't quite tell if it's related to 'missing' or 'none rendered' polygons or whether something else is effecting them - like the alphaMod brushes - but that's what it looks like.

I was having similar missing polygons and model section problems (although the model was being cut in half across polys) with my old torch model I used way back when for katdm3 and 5, I re-edited those and exported them to ASE with a 'new' shader file which seemed to have fixed the problem. This makes me wonder if something else is going on..?!

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 01:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Do you mean that there are some missing leaves on some of the plants that you see in the editor but not in game?

A little background: Todd G. built a single model and textured them differently to give some variety to the models. I think there's a couple that had fewer leaves than the rest of the models. Rather than remodel these by actually deleting the extra polys, he textured half of the leaves on that model with an "invisible" shader - that is to say a drawing but perfectly translucent texture.

I noticed that they were creating extra polys in game even though you couldn't "see" them so I replaced his invisible shader with a modified nodraw shader so that they wouldn't be drawn at all. It was for a slight performance gain.

If this is the problem that I think you're having then it's not really a problem at all. It's just my ugly little hack to optimize the model.

BTW, I'll send both of you an updated zip in the next few days. Just some minor changes and updates to the readme... that is unless you really do have some unforeseen problem.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 02:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

no it's not that problem (good idea btw to use 'nodraw' shader), see that shot below.

-The yellow highlight on the right shows a leaf cut off by the wall it's burried inside of. This is fine and expected.

-The highlight on the left however shows a 'broken' leaf. This happens on all the models so it's not specific to one object and seems random and intermittant... it'll happen on some models but not on others even when using the same 'base' model.

I'm not at all sure what's going on here except for there to be some wierd shader interaction error, or something to do with the alphaMod brushes I've literally covered the map in... but I'm going to be uploading a beta test of a map I'm working on in a bit anyway to you'll be able to see 1st hand what's happening as it's difficult to show in screenshot.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 08:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Umm... "Interesting" screenshot you have there. That is indeed odd. Taking a look into it.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 04:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Updated the multiplant models to version 2.2
Download here

-Fixed missing shader problem.
-miscellaneous updates (see readme)

Interesting changes made to this version, I made the "invisible" shader work for both legacy maps as well as newly compiled maps. On older maps already compiled with Todd G's original multiplant pack, the two fern models will draw some extra polys textured with a see-through texture. In newly compiled maps, the nodraw directives will take effect so the extra polys won't be rendered at all.

Code:
// Modified 25.02.05
// Special dual purpose shader:
// Legacy maps will display an "invisible" shader on polygons.
// Newly compiled maps will use a "nodraw" shader and extra
// polys will not be drawn in game for improved performance.
models/mapobjects/multiplant/invisible
{
   qer_editorImage textures/common/nodraw

surfaceparm nodraw
   surfaceparm nolightmap
   surfaceparm nonsolid   //forces nonsolid even with autoclip enabled
   surfaceparm trans
   {
      map models/mapobjects/multiplant/invisible.tga
      alphaFunc GE128
      depthWrite
      rgbGen vertex
   }
}

I tested this in wviperw's Decidia map, which was compiled with the old models and the extra polys are drawn, but there are no problems with missing shaders. I also tested it in a new test map and compiled. The extra polys are not drawn at all.

Just remember to add "multiplant" to your shaderlist.txt

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 04:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll take a look at this version now.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 05:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

x-posted from Kat's thread:

Use rgbGen vertex and alphaGen const to fix the alphaMod volume overlap bug.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 03-02-2005 06:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Obsidian.. I just noticed something looking at the image assets for the multiplant pack, they're all really wierd sizes. Although not a problem per-say it might be worth resizing them to the correct power of 2 proportions. It *shouldn't* effect the UVWmaps as they'll 'shrink to fit' (in theory). I never noticed that before about the pack.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 03-02-2005 07:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks Kat, never noticed that either. Would be better for texture memory loading.

I'll see what I can do.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 03-04-2005 07:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Updated Multiplant Pack to version 2.3

Download here

Remade some of the tallpalm prefab objects into ASE models. Todd probably initially created those as prefabs since MD3s had a maximum bounding box of 512x512 units. Those palm models were taller than that so he modeled them as prefabs. I rebuilt them as ASEs now so they should work better. Also tweaked some of the other models since I noticed some wierd lighting on the trunks of the palm models caused by unmerged vertexes and smoothing groups.

Changelog from the readme:
Quote:
2.3 (03.03.05)
* tallpalm1.map, tallpalm2.map, tallthinpalm.map prefab objects
rebuilt in 3dsMAX and exported as ASE models (remakes)
* Resized image files to power of 2 dimensions (larger file
size but optimized for texture memory and image quality)
* palm3.md3 - rearranged edge orientation, welded vertexes,
reapplied smoothing groups, UVW-wrapped, reapplied materials
* palm4.md3 - welded vertexes, reapplied smoothing groups,
reapplied materials
* palm4a.md3 - welded vertexes, reapplied smoothing groups,
changed leaf materials from palmfrond to bannanaleaf

2.2 (28.02.05)
* Fixed bug when models are overlapped with alphaMod volume
brushes (thanks ydnar)
* Fixed missing shader error (thanks Kat)
* Rewrote "invisible" shader for dual purpose use with both
legacy and modern maps
* Renamed PFB files to MAP for use with GtkRadiant
* Reattached Todd's prefabs to zip
* Added multiplant.bsp as a model gallery (/devmap multiplant)

2.1 (03.06.04)
* Updated to include Plant Model Pack II
* Palm models processed through MD3Fix.exe
* palms.shader merged into multiplant.shader
* "models/mapobjects/multiplant/invisible" shader replaced with
a modified nodraw shader for reduced polycounts

2.0 (28.05.04)
* Initial Version 2 release
* MD3's processed through MD3Fix.exe 0.2 to correct invalid
shader names generated by Pop'n'Fresh

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 03-04-2005 09:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks for all the work in fixing this. I'll check out the file tomorrow.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 05-02-2009 12:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi. Does anyone know what license this use? The readme doesn´t clear this really up.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 05-02-2009 01:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You're wanting to distribute in an open source project I bet? No-ones been able to get in touch with the original author so it's safe to say you wont be able to use this if you need specific distribution licensing; we only did it becasue it was within the realms of Q3

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 05-02-2009 01:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Shit. What about using this in a mod?

Thanks alot.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.