Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Quake 3 Server Problem with sv_allowdownload

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Quake 3 Server Problem with sv_allowdownload

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 02-21-2021 01:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey Guys.

I set up a server for ioQ3 and the option sv_allowdownload 1 works for maps but not for models. Missing maps on the client will be downloaded well but models will not. Is this a bug? Or misconfiguration? Any Ideas?
The server is pure.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 02-23-2021 02:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

1. Do you have sv_pure to 0
2. What models do you mean? (models on the map or skins / bots for the client)?
3. If skins for q3, do you have pk3 file?

On ioq3 1.36 on excesiveplus mod the download of files needed for the game works.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 04-12-2021 08:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Models in maps are often bake compiled into the map itself as part of map geometry, there's no need to download them separately. As for skins for player models, new bots, you need to place them in pk3 "zip" files (of course keep the necessary folder structure inside, otherwise it won't work). The client requests download only for pk3 files, not stuff inside the game root folder (which is baseq3 in most of cases). I don't know how much "sv_pure" affects this, I only know it affects how the game looks for files that are not in pk3 files and the game ignores all files that are not in pk3 files (apart from config.cfg and autoexec.cfg files, which need to be naked).

Hosting a server is pretty tedious work. You need to set everything up, make sure the machine can handle multiple people connecting, and of course you have to make sure your server is accessible (which often means opening a specific port - that port is randomized each time your server is run, but there might be an option to set a fixed port value, just make sure the port is only used by Quake3 and nothing else). If you are hosting server to only play with friends, I might suggest you to go with Hamachi, because you won't have to open a port on your router. The only downside is that your friends need to install and use Hamachi as well in order to connect.

As for the download settings, make sure to read documentation. Many things are often described in documentation.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 04-22-2021 01:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CZghost wrote:
If you are hosting server to only play with friends, I might suggest you to go with Hamachi, because you won't have to open a port on your router. The only downside is that your friends need to install and use Hamachi as well in order to connect.

Instead of Hamachi, I recommend ZeroTier, a little simple, free and even works well. As far as I remember, there were some problems in hamachi, maybe in the newer version they are gone. Unfortunately, the disadvantage of such solutions is the large PING of the person joining the server (in ZeroTier we had about 80-100ms in quake 3)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.