Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Quake III Arena on Windows 10 (AMD Radeon + widescreen)

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Quake III Arena on Windows 10 (AMD Radeon + widescreen)

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 02-19-2017 03:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I recently installed updates directly from AMD websites to my Windows 10 machine, in order to repair OpenGL installation (but it seems missing rather). I tried to run Quake3 on my Windows 10 machine (64bit, AMD Quad-Core Processor A6-6310, AMD Radeon R5 M240 with 2 GB dedicated VRAM, 4 GB DDR3 L memory), but it says Couldn't launch OpenGL subsystem. How latest version of OpenGL is supported by Quake3 engine and how to install it on my system? Also, how can I enable widescreen support? Thank you :)

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 12-12-2018 12:07 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been thinking and I might found a solution to why it doesn't work. I have set a bigger resolution than my screen is capable of showing, actually. I didn't realise before when I copied it straight from my desktop PC to my laptop, maybe that's why the OpenGL can't work? It crashes because it can't display resolution that is bigger than supported? Needs to be tested out...

EDIT:
Oh my god, it actually works! :D :D Yep, it was wrong resolution what triggered OpenGL error :D :D I've set it to my screen resolution and it works like charm!

I still have an issue about unverified DLL loading that I have to actually press Ctrl+Alt+Delete so I can show taskbar and see the message to click OK and load it up. Can I get rid of it?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-13-2018 01:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CZghost wrote:
Also, how can I enable widescreen support?

Quake 3 doesn't fully support widescreen. All you can do is apply the following settings:
\r_mode -1
\r_customwidth 1920
\r_customheight 1080
\vid_restart

The game will now run in 1920x1080 display resolution, but the UI and menu's are scaled from a 4:3 aspect ratio to 16:9.
I think ioQuake does have full widescreen support.

CZghost wrote:
I still have an issue about unverified DLL loading that I have to actually press Ctrl+Alt+Delete so I can show taskbar and see the message to click OK and load it up. Can I get rid of it?

Maybe if you run Quake 3 as administrator. Open file properties for quake3.exe, go to compatibility tab and mark the "run this program as administator" checkbox.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 12-13-2018 04:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Quake 3 doesn't fully support widescreen. All you can do is apply the following settings:
\r_mode -1
\r_customwidth 1920
\r_customheight 1080
\vid_restart

The game will now run in 1920x1080 display resolution, but the UI and menu's are scaled from a 4:3 aspect ratio to 16:9.
I think ioQuake does have full widescreen support.
Well, I am running regular old quake3.exe, but menu is scaled in correct aspect ratio, including EntityPlus menu, which is only 4:3. Maybe it's because I have ioquake3 binaries downloaded and installed in the game? I already figured out correct resolution my screen is supporting - I found it via Google here: https://bestfirms.com/what-is-my-screen-resolution/ - I must say that my resolution is lower than you suggested, it's 1366 x 768 (laptop screen).

Eraser wrote:
Maybe if you run Quake 3 as administrator. Open file properties for quake3.exe, go to compatibility tab and mark the "run this program as administator" checkbox.
Will try, thanks :)

EDIT: So even running the game as administrator didn't clear the unverified DLL warning dialog. Just in additon, it requires me to permit the program to make changes, which is absolutely unnecesary in this case since the game isn't in Program Files folder. May it be the original game doesn't really recognise the ioquake3 DLLs? Does this do to anyone else with ioquake3?

Mew Legs!
Mew Legs!
PostPosted: 01-20-2019 07:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also, you'll want to adjust the field of view once you get widescreen configured. I typically bump it up to 115 instead of the stock 90.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 01-21-2019 03:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I already have 120 set up from desktop, so there's no need. Yeah, it looks very natural :) Almost like Quake Live :)

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 09-02-2022 04:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just did an in-depth tutorial on how to get quake 3 working on modern PCs, for anyone that needs it:

Foo wrote:
Neat, thanks Dash!

The Youtube tag here just needs the video code rather than the full URL btw

Ok, thanks Foo. Fixed.

Last edited by MXDash on 09-03-2022 06:32 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 09-02-2022 05:34 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MXDash wrote:
I just did an in-depth tutorial on how to get quake 3 working on modern PCs, for anyone that needs it:

Neat, thanks Dash!

The Youtube tag here just needs the video code rather than the full URL btw

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.