Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Good blog-esque software, no php

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Good blog-esque software, no php

Mr. Anderson!
Mr. Anderson!
PostPosted: 02-18-2005 07:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok, after just having a file list as me webpage for a few months, I've decided I want something more. I've decided that a blog-type format would be easiest for me to setup and maintain. I tried a nice piece of software called dotclear, but it turns out my host pulled php and mysql support on the package I bought. So, I need something easy to set-up, easy to maintain, nice looking, and something thats not php, mysql, or pretty much anything that requires extra features, since apparently my host now onlt gives me the bare minimum.

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 02-18-2005 07:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

change hosts.

without knowing what features are available it's hard to say, you're probably stuck with having a folder full of 777'd text files or something :(

Mr. Anderson!
Mr. Anderson!
PostPosted: 02-18-2005 07:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://www.1and1.com the home hosting package. it used to be the same as the business, just less space and bandwidth. Now, its a gutted POS which I have a one year contractual obligation to pay for. I'm halfway tempted to just get a POS computer from school, slap an 80 gig HD in it and run apache since I have a static IP, and just point a domain to it.

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 02-18-2005 10:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MSN Spacesis actually a free and pretty easy/customizable way to go.

no u
no u
PostPosted: 02-18-2005 11:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

4g3nt_Smith wrote:
I'm halfway tempted to just get a POS computer from school, slap an 80 gig HD in it and run apache since I have a static IP, and just point a domain to it.

That would be the easiest way, although there is always the issues of trying to game while serving files. you might take a look at http://www.cmsfind.com, for any software that might do what you want. "flatfile" stuff doesnt require mysql usually, but without php, I doubt you'll have much luck.

Mr. Anderson!
Mr. Anderson!
PostPosted: 02-18-2005 01:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tormentius wrote:
MSN Spacesis actually a free and pretty easy/customizable way to go.

And that helps me use my webspace and domain name how? Anyway, if I wanted a remotely-hosted blog, there are tons or better alternatives than that shitty, unsuprisingly MS service.

Mr. Anderson!
Mr. Anderson!
PostPosted: 02-18-2005 04:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I can't help if I speak the truth.

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 02-19-2005 01:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

4g3nt_Smith wrote:
I can't help if I speak the truth.

Truth :icon19:

Your angst against anything Microsoft is absolutely hilarious and quite predictable. Microsoft is the largest software company in the world for good reason: they put out the best products that focus on supporting the thing which actually drives the world economy - business.

Take a look at any *nix based company which has actually made it. You'll note they all share some very similar characteristics with MS. Open source is an interesting and idealisitic concept but, for the most part, isn't viable in the business world.

Approaching the singularity
Approaching the singularity
PostPosted: 02-19-2005 01:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dump that shit host of yours and get WordPress.

http://wordpress.org/

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 02-19-2005 06:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Calm down kids.

On the subject of 'blogging' software (and I assume you mean 'something I can post news on my website with')... let us know what your host*WILL* support and we can make suggestions. 'The basics' doesn't mean much...

Mr. Anderson!
Mr. Anderson!
PostPosted: 02-19-2005 06:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Basically, my host is shit and supports nothing. I need something purely html, since thats all they appear to support.

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 02-19-2005 07:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

an ftp client and your favourite html editor it is then - that or a 777'd text file and a flash movie or something to edit it with.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 02-19-2005 07:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If it supports no form of scripting you have to do everything manually. That is to say, if you want something which generates news formatting automatically for you, you'll have to find a piece of software which does it on your own machine, then upload the results to your website.

Programs which *really* automate stuff are pretty rare... mainly because, well, it'd be just patching over something which has a proper solution already.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 02-19-2005 07:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh one thing though... in my second year at uni we had to do a project for a real life company... so we did a website for a videogame shop. They already had hosting, freeserve shit, no scripting.

But there's a little bit of tech many web servers support called SSI (Server-Side Includes). It's like the most basic of the basic scripting system.

Anyways, I managed to conjour up a site which got its news enties from files marked 1.inc, 2.inc, 3.inc and so on. So when a new news item needed to be posted, you dropped the last file, and renamed the others down the chain, added a new 1.inc. The site updated itself.

Basic, ultimately quite shit, but that's the max you can really go to with a simple webserver.

Mr. Anderson!
Mr. Anderson!
PostPosted: 02-20-2005 07:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmm, I may just look into a better host, which may be difficult since the price is really nice, $5 a month for a gig of space, 25 gigs of bandwidth, and a gig of email space across the 100 email accounts w/ no attatchment maximum size.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-23-2005 05:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://www.dudcore.net is a better package than the one you've got, plus the guy who runs it is a champion. i have four domains hosted on it, and i have zero complaints or concerns.

uh, just realised his site is a little whacked at the moment, but drop him a line at communicate@dudcore.net and let him know that kikk sent you :)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.