Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        networking question..

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: networking question..

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 04:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've aquired an old pentium II 350, i'm going to plop two 200gb HDDs, install windows 2k into it and run it as a sort of server. It'll have all my p2p software, IM programs, music, films and documents on it..

I want to have it so that the network comes in through it, then into my current (gaming pc) is this as simple as putting two network cards into the 350? one from the modem and then one into my current pc?

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 04:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

not enough PC there if your going to use it as a gateway AND for P2P..

id consider that a single use machine.. for a server that is..

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 04:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

can't it just chug away in the background and allow the network to pass through it, without actually having to process any data flowing through it from my gaming pc?

just concentrate on p2p etc?

Last edited by phantasmagoria on 02-24-2005 04:10 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 04:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:
can't it just chug away in the background and allow the network to pass through it?

yes and no..

i mean, itll work, but you might end up having slow ass network bandwith..

personally, this is what id do.. Use it as a file server, that pushes bandwith to everyone.. Run your P2P on your main machines, BUT save the data directly to the file server.. using a mapped drive of course..

that way, you get the illusion of running the P2P off the server, without the strain..

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 04:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i thought about doing that, it was my initial idea to utilise the dual LAN thingy on my A7N8X deluxe, but my gaming machine is pretty noisy - i sleep in the same room and it keeps me awake at night if i leave it on...i thought i could kill two birds with one stone and have the p2p on the 350 as well.

Back to the original question though, will two network cards work fine?

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 04:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:
i thought about doing that, it was my initial idea to utilise the dual LAN thingy on my A7N8X deluxe, but my gaming machine is pretty noisy - i sleep in the same room and it keeps me awake at night if i leave it on...i thought i could kill two birds with one stone and have the p2p on the 350 as well.

Back to the original question though, will two network cards work fine?

Should be fine.. :up:

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 04:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wooties. wish me luck

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 04:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oh wait..

you do have a hub, or crossover cable right?

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 04:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i've got a four port router but it's full so i was going to hack my spare cat5 cable into a crossover cable..?

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 04:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:
i've got a four port router but it's full so i was going to hack my spare cat5 cable into a crossover cable..?

thatll work..

get to hackin.. ^_^

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 04:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

to clarify, this it what i plan to do, it should work, yes?:

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 04:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:
to clarify, this it what i plan to do, it should work, yes?:

should work..

:up:

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 04:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thanks \o/

loves :x

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 04:47 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

that should work, but I think it would be much more efficient if you could plug the gaming rig directly into the router]

now since you said your router was full, I would buy a switch, there is a 5-port Netgear switch on newegg for 20, with a 10 mail in rebate or a 5-port Linksys switch for 24, no rebate. What you would do is use a cable to hook the switch to the router and then plug both computers into the switch. I have the Linksys switch that I use for X-Box LAN parties and it works quite well.

Netgear - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 029&depa=1

Linksys - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 005&depa=1

Last edited by Kills On Site on 02-24-2005 04:53 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 04:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you're probably right, but a network card is only a few quid, i'd rather do it this way so it can just sit in the corner and chug away silently, and i can just turn my gaming pc on when i wanna game or do work.

Last edited by phantasmagoria on 02-24-2005 05:02 PM, edited 2 times in total.

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 04:58 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

well with a switch, i edited my post after you posted, sorry, you would not rely on the PII 350 to be on and working. Also if your gaming rig is runnnig XP Pro, I hope it is, then you might run into 2000/XP conflicts with the forwarding. I honestly think that the switch would be faster, more secure, (the ICS, Internet Connection Sharing, prolly does have some secuirty issues) and less dependant on the PII.

Since you would have to buy a second LAN card anyway I think the price would not be effected that much

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 05:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fucking about with switches seems like too much hasstle than it's worth, my housemate suggested getting one but i dont think i'll bother, especially as once i leave i'll have no use for it, seeing as the router is mine and i'll take it with me when i leave.

Actually, question...i'm guessing it wouldnt, but would my gaming rig have to be on in order to let the network pass through it? it's an Asus A7N8X Deluxe (2.0), the lights flash on the network even if the computer is turned off, would it let the network pass through it even if it's off?

edit: hmm, i can get one of these for 8 quid.. http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products ... _uid=63778

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 05:22 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[lvlshot]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/dahappybanana/networking.jpg[/lvlshot]

my mad Photoshop skillz :icon32:

I have never heard of Ebuyer before. I saw the Netgear on there for 11 Euro, doesn't seem that bad. Who knows you might need a switch at some point in time after you move. Setting up the switch is infinatly easier then ICS and the other reasons I stated above. It will also double your total Ethernet plug capability from 4 to 8

As for your LAN lights being on, I don't know, I would make sure that Wake on LAN is DISABLED in your BIOS as it can be a massive secuirty issue and no home user truly needs it.

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 06:15 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kills On Site wrote:
As for your LAN lights being on, I don't know, I would make sure that Wake on LAN is DISABLED in your BIOS as it can be a massive secuirty issue and no home user truly needs it.

I'd hardly say it qualifies as a security concern let alone a major one.

Gollum: Get the switch.

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 06:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tormentius wrote:

I just don't like the idea that someone can start my computer without phisically being there, sorry I am paranoid

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 06:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kills On Site wrote:
Tormentius wrote:

I just don't like the idea that someone can start my computer without phisically being there, sorry I am paranoid

lawl.. itll NEVER happen to you.. period..

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 06:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SOAPboy wrote:
Kills On Site wrote:
Tormentius wrote:

lawl.. itll NEVER happen to you.. period..

well it won't right now, I don't use my ethernet lol

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 06:34 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

my point is that like so many other things, if you don't use it, disable it. Goes for services in Windows and features of hardware, including Wake on LAN. If you don't need it, why run the slightly remote risk that it will happen, but it takes about 30 seconds to check to see if it is disabled so why not do it?

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 06:39 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kills On Site wrote:
my point is that like so many other things, if you don't use it, disable it. Goes for services in Windows and features of hardware, including Wake on LAN. If you don't need it, why run the slightly remote risk that it will happen, but it takes about 30 seconds to check to see if it is disabled so why not do it?

Because if you're using any NT-class operating system you need to authenticate to access data unless explicit permissions have been given to the contrary. Who cares if it powers up from LAN.

:icon6:

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 06:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tormentius wrote:

Because if you're using any NT-class operating system you need to authenticate to access data unless explicit permissions have been given to the contrary. Who cares if it powers up from LAN.

:icon6:

true as it may be, I dont want my power bill to go up :icon32:

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 03-04-2005 12:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ok, i didn't take your advice about a switch, i probably should have done but what's done is done..

everything's working, but when i try to connect to my server computer from my gaming pc, or if any of my housemates try to connect to it, it requests a username/password...how do i stop this?

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 03-04-2005 01:11 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

well try typing in the user name and password, if any of the person logged into the computer you are trying to access, or type in your own username and password. Trying those combinations or something of the sort should work. Only thing I know to do for that, sorry.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 03-04-2005 01:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

if i enter administrator and leave the password blank (the admin account for my server machine) it logs in no problem, i was wondering if there was a way to prevent it asking for a pass..

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 03-04-2005 04:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ahhhhhhhhhhh not to worry, for some reason the Guest account was disabled, i enabled it and it's all fine. \o/

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 03-05-2005 09:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Magic Packets don't cross subnets. Normally won't cross gateways either. Coming down your line from your ISP is even more unlikely.

In short, magic packets which turn on your PC aren't much of a concern, and certainly aren't a security risk.

As for the guest account, now that IS a bit of a risk.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.