Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        X-Box Painting

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: X-Box Painting

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 05:42 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well my old X-Box that I am modding I plan on spray painting a nice silver. I have silver spray paint, a plastic primer and have the parts mask taped up and ready to spray. I spray painted an old, broken controller and it turned out quite well, but the spray paint will still run off a bit. You guys have any tips or good guides to share with me?

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 05:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don't get any of the paint in your eye.

Black Magic
Black Magic
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 07:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

1. sand the plastic before priming, that way the primer sticks better.
2. get spray clear coat... its available at any hobby shop, put a couple of layers of clear on anything you will be touching, that will stop the paint from rubbing off.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 08:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Clear coat the shit out of it..

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 04:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My friend painted his girlfriends x-box pink, and some how got the xbox pad's little logo to light up as well (on the old pads, not S).

Looked nice tbh, she was well chuffed with it :D

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 04:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
My friend painted his girlfriends x-box pink, and some how got the xbox pad's little logo to light up as well (on the old pads, not S).

Looked nice tbh, she was well chuffed with it :D

LED + Resistor + Razorblade to scratch XBOX emblem + Drill to make hole..

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 10:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

spray About 2 layers of the paint, the first layer should be as thin as posable than the secod should be only as much as is needed to put the color on the plastic.. once those cure ( leave about 10-15mins between the two layers ) then move onto the clear.. you dont need alot of it, but its allways good to put two layers on it..

once that is done, and the clear is done.. you can clear sand it or just plain old buff it with a cloth and it should be good.

Do the chickens have large talons?
Do the chickens have large talons?
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 10:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lets see some pics !!!

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 04:24 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
Lets see some pics !!!

it will probably be next Sunday, but I will post them

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 06:19 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

well I did a quick spray paint of a broken controller a few days ago, I didn't wash the controller, obvious up close you can see some spots of dirt and dust and I did a really quick masking job, quite apparent around the jewel of the controller. [lvlshot]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/dahappybanana/X-BoxSilverController.jpg[/lvlshot]

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 08:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kills On Site wrote:
well I did a quick spray paint of a broken controller a few days ago, I didn't wash the controller, obvious up close you can see some spots of dirt and dust and I did a really quick masking job, quite apparent around the jewel of the controller. [lvlshot]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/dahappybanana/X-BoxSilverController.jpg[/lvlshot]

a tip for future reference..

Put your controller case in the freezer for 30 min then the jewel will pop right off.. and the sticky shit will warm up and the jewel will restick..

same with the jewel on the system itself..

its how i got mine off when i airbrushed it.. (the jewel i mean)

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 08:48 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SOAPboy wrote:
Kills On Site wrote:

a tip for future reference..

Put your controller case in the freezer for 30 min then the jewel will pop right off.. and the sticky shit will warm up and the jewel will restick..

same with the jewel on the system itself..

its how i got mine off when i airbrushed it.. (the jewel i mean)

now do you knock the jewels from the back, or inside the case or controller, or the front, the part you see?

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 09:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

just hit the plastic on the inside with the palm of your hand.. itll pop off.. if it seems to stuck, grab a small screwdriver and pry a little..

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 09:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

so one of these Master Cheif Jewels would be an easy upgrade. How does one make it light up though?

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 09:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kills On Site wrote:
so one of these Master Cheif Jewels would be an easy upgrade. How does one make it light up though?

Few options to light it up..

Leds
Cathode
El Wire

You can run LEDs on the sides of it

Cut a hole out under it and GLUE the jewel from its sides and use EL wire or the cathode under it..

LEDs seem to be the popular option..

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 09:32 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

well both jewels are off and it was really easy. I will prolly drop by BlockBuster and get a used original X-Box controller and do a good spray paint job on it and use a good clear coat on it and my X-Box, be awesome for LANs

Last edited by Kills On Site on 02-28-2005 11:30 AM, edited 1 time in total.

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 09:36 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SOAPboy wrote:
Kills On Site wrote:

Few options to light it up..

Leds
Cathode
El Wire

You can run LEDs on the sides of it

Cut a hole out under it and GLUE the jewel from its sides and use EL wire or the cathode under it..

LEDs seem to be the popular option..

well that seems to add more to the cost, I might try it later, but for now after the X3 CE modchip and the saving for a PSP have made me broke. Thanks for the info tho SOAP. :icon14:

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 11:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you know any good, reliable US online resellers that sell X-Box console jewels that do not require lighting or anything but the jewel itself?

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 01:38 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

right now my X-Box console jewel is sitting in the freezer. As for my controller, I popped it off and tried to clean the paint off the jewel and now it doesn't stay in. Now for the controller that I am going to use I will prolly just pop out the jewel, paint the controller and try and put the jewel back in but I don't think it will stick. I might put a small layer of super glue and stick the jewel back on, of course the jewel will most likely not come out if I need it to again. Any tips or tricks to make the controller, or X-Box jewel, stick better after the controller or X-Box has been spray painted and clear coated?

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 02:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kills On Site wrote:
right now my X-Box console jewel is sitting in the freezer. As for my controller, I popped it off and tried to clean the paint off the jewel and now it doesn't stay in. Now for the controller that I am going to use I will prolly just pop out the jewel, paint the controller and try and put the jewel back in but I don't think it will stick. I might put a small layer of super glue and stick the jewel back on, of course the jewel will most likely not come out if I need it to again. Any tips or tricks to make the controller, or X-Box jewel, stick better after the controller or X-Box has been spray painted and clear coated?

Controller Jewel can be superglued.. no biggy..

if you want your jewel clear, or another color, sand it down..

goto walmart, pick up the "auto" sand paper kit.. start with the rough stuff then finish with the finest stuff.. if you want it crystal clear, pick up some buffing cream while at walmart.. if your going to paint it, break out a airbrush or spray paint.. and paint the underside..

the great part is, the silver XBOX logo, stays silver..

if you have issues, lemme know, ill help you out on aim or something..

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 03:29 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

now after looking at the weekly newegg specials I see a 120GB HDD with an 8MB cache and a 160GB with a 2MB cache. In the X-Box would the 8MB cache provide any performance benifits? Also what about putting an ATA100 cable and throwing out the ATA33 that the X-Box came with?

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 03:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kills On Site wrote:
now after looking at the weekly newegg specials I see a 120GB HDD with an 8MB cache and a 160GB with a 2MB cache. In the X-Box would the 8MB cache provide any performance benifits? Also what about putting an ATA100 cable and throwing out the ATA33 that the X-Box came with?

shit im using a 5400rpm 2meg cache.. works just fine..

still faster than disk loading.. oh and im still using the stock cable too..

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 04:06 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well I will probably use the stock cable, as it fits quite well in the case, lol. If I get a new HDD, I might jusat use an 80 out of an external drive I never use, I will prolly get the 160GB.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-01-2005 10:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kills On Site wrote:
Well I will probably use the stock cable, as it fits quite well in the case, lol. If I get a new HDD, I might jusat use an 80 out of an external drive I never use, I will prolly get the 160GB.

ive run the stock, 80gig WD 8meger, and now a 200gig WD 8meger and to be honest, you dont notice much diffrence at all.. AT ALL in loading times, i swapped over to a 80pin, but i got a few issues that made me go back to the 40pin..

all in all dude, dont worry to much about the hdd, space is all that matters :)

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 03-14-2005 08:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well I finally got everything painted and finished. There are some minor defects in the painting, but overall I am pleased with it.

[lvlshot]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/dahappybanana/XBox_Top.jpg[/lvlshot]
Now this picture was taken on a tripod at night with no flash
[lvlshot]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/dahappybanana/XBox_Front.jpg[/lvlshot]
This one is with flash and the DVD drive is out of line because I did not align it, as I am not finished with my X-Box and did not want to screw the drive in.
[lvlshot]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/dahappybanana/Controller.jpg[/lvlshot]
Now this is a controller I bought and painted. The issue was when I put the superglue in the jewel and got some on my thumb, damned bottle, and enough glue got from my thumb to the inside of the jewel or enough fumes solidified on my fingerprints. So the jewel is not perfect, but it looks cool and works flaslessly.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-14-2005 08:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

on the jewel, use a small amount of Nail polish remover.. as i said SMALL AMOUNT, and you should work the oversprey tha ti see in it for what ever reason, and remove most of your finger prints.

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 03-14-2005 08:48 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AmIdYfReAk wrote:
on the jewel, use a small amount of Nail polish remover.. as i said SMALL AMOUNT, and you should work the oversprey tha ti see in it for what ever reason, and remove most of your finger prints.

I did and it works for the superglue, but the scratches from the previous owner remain. Like I said the controller works and it works well, so I did fairly well.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.