Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Starting up a server...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Starting up a server...

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 08:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is there a reason this is so hard for me? My friends enter in my IP address and the standard Port #, yet they can’t connect to me and play a round of multiplayer. We have no problem connecting to a random server that we both find on the big list of servers, so why would it be so hard to just connect to each other? We want a little one-on-one for Christ sake! Do I really need to go into my router and tweak with some of the shit, or maybe there is a setting that we simply didn’t check that is required? Feedback/help is appreciated.

Black Magic
Black Magic
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 08:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you most likely need to tell your router to forward 27960 UDP traffic to your pc.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 08:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

...and how would I do that? Or is every router different? I got a D-Link DI-604 if that helps at all. Thanks.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 03:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

BlueBomber wrote:
...and how would I do that? Or is every router different? I got a D-Link DI-604 if that helps at all. Thanks.

This will sound like im being a total dick..

But

Read the manual that came with it.. if you lost it, goto dlinks website and grab the online manual..

better you learn yourself and understand it so you can use that knowledge later, than one of us spell it out for you

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 03:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SOAPboy wrote:
This will sound like im being a total dick..

But

Read the manual that came with it.. if you lost it, goto dlinks website and grab the online manual..

better you learn yourself and understand it so you can use that knowledge later, than one of us spell it out for you

That's totally fine, and I actually agree with you. However, do you think that you could maybe answer some questions I may have that could help me along the way, just as long as I do most of the work?

I’ve been looking into the whole ‘Virtual Server’ thing with my router all day long and this is what I have uncovered so far -
Quote:
Virtual Server
The device can be configured as a virtual server so that remote users accessing services such as Web or FTP services via the public (WAN) IP address can be automatically redirected to local servers in the LAN network. Depending on the requested service (TCP/UDP port number), the device redirects the external service request to the appropriate server within the LAN network. At the bottom of the screen, there are already defined well-known virtual services. To use them, click on the edit icon. You will only need to input the LAN IP address of the computer running the service and enable it.

Name - The name referencing the virtual service.
Private IP - The server computer in the LAN network that will be providing the virtual services.
Private Port - The port number of the service used by the Private IP computer.
Protocol Type - The protocol used for the virtual service.
Public Port - The port number on the WAN side that will be used to access the virtual service.
Schedule - The schedule of time when the virtual service will be enabled.

Example:
If you have a Web server that you wanted Internet users to access at all times, you would need to enable it. Web (HTTP) server is on LAN computer 192.168.0.25. HTTP uses port 80, TCP.

Name: Web Server
Private IP: 192.168.0.25
Protocol Type: TCP
Private Port: 80
Public Port: 80
Schedule: always

I figured I was on the right track, but then I started looking up some other shit and I found this…
Quote:
Special Applications
Some applications require multiple connections, such as Internet gaming, video conferencing, Internet telephony and others. These applications have difficulties working through NAT (Network Address Translation). If you need to run applications that require multiple connections, specify the port normally associated with an application in the "Trigger Port" field, select the protocol type as TCP (Transmission Control Protocol) or UDP (User Datagram Protocol), then enter the public ports associated with the trigger port to open them for inbound traffic. At the bottom of the screen, there are already defined well-known special applications. To use them, click on the edit icon and enable the service.

Name - This is the name referencing the special application.
Trigger Port - This is the port used to trigger the application. It can be either a single port or a range of ports.
Trigger Type - This is the protocol used to trigger the special application.
Public Port - This is the port number on the WAN side that will be used to access the application. You may define a single port or a range of ports. You can use a comma to add multiple ports or port ranges.
Public Type - This is the protocol used for the special application.

I know that this is all a learning process and I hope I'm not comming across as a whiny little bitch.

My IP is 192.168.0.100. Quake uses a base port of 27960. I’ve been setting up the Virtual Server as so –

Name: Quake III Arena
Private IP: 192.168.0.100
Protocol Type: UDP
Private Port: 27960
Public Port: 27960
Schedule: Always

He still can’t connect to me. Do I need to ditch the whole 'Vitrual Server' thing and go into that 'Special Applications' area and start messing with those settings? Is there any simple mistakes I'm making that you can see?

What I really want to know is if I’m on the right track so far or not, or maybe if anyone thinks that they could point me more in the right direction. Your help is appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by BlueBomber on 02-27-2005 04:49 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 03:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes, Special Applications..

or when in doubt, set your machine in the DMZ while your gaming..

oh and X out your friends ip address.. thats just asking for trouble :p

piecemaker
piecemaker
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 03:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SOAPboy. *waves* Hey there.

BlueBomber-

try looking ---->here

Simply look under the D-link section and find your router.

You might get some help out of the following thread as well:
problem setting up an online server.

signa is the one the knows his shit when it comes quake3 servers.
Hands-DOWN!

Hope you find your answer.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 05:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Christ...I've tried everything. After messing around with all of the settings and everything with no luck, I set my computer under the DMZ as a last resort. He STILL can't connect. Does this mean that its something wrong with his connection and not mine? He is afterall on a university's network and has no access to his router or anything...but like I said before - We have no problem playing with eachother when we connect to a random server that we both find on the big list of servers, so why would it be so hard to just connect to each other? Dosen't the whole DMZ thing mean everything on my computer is exposed to the internet 100%?

no u
no u
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 07:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

BlueBomber wrote:
Dosen't the whole DMZ thing mean everything on my computer is exposed to the internet 100%?

yes. I wouldn't recommend using dmz.

ok lets look over what you need to do:

* forward UDP port 27960 on your router to your computer running q3.

* start q3 and either use the menu to start up a skirmish, making sure to have at least 2 slots open for you and him (check sv_maxclients in console), then put in your timelimit, and fraglimit and load up a map.
-or-
start q3, drop the console and type /sv_maxclients 2 then load up a map /map q3dm6. you will now be in the game by yourself (waiting for him).

* have him run q3 and connect to your wan ip by typing /connect {ip} in the console.

if he still cant connect, try connecting your computer to the internet without using the router to see if its a router problem. if that works then you havent set up your router forwarding correctly.

no u
no u
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 07:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oh and after you get it working you can setup a quick map rotation by using this in the console:

for FFA: /exec ffa.config
for 1v1: /exec tourney.config

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 08:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

signa wrote:
BlueBomber wrote:
Dosen't the whole DMZ thing mean everything on my computer is exposed to the internet 100%?

yes. I wouldn't recommend using dmz.

ok lets look over what you need to do:

* forward UDP port 27960 on your router to your computer running q3.

* start q3 and either use the menu to start up a skirmish, making sure to have at least 2 slots open for you and him (check sv_maxclients in console), then put in your timelimit, and fraglimit and load up a map.
-or-
start q3, drop the console and type /sv_maxclients 2 then load up a map /map q3dm6. you will now be in the game by yourself (waiting for him).

* have him run q3 and connect to your wan ip by typing /connect {ip} in the console.

if he still cant connect, try connecting your computer to the internet without using the router to see if its a router problem. if that works then you havent set up your router forwarding correctly.

why dont you recommend it?

First if hes just gaming, its no big deal..

Second, unless he keeps CC info on his computer, he shouldnt worry about a "hacker"

Third, People are far to paraniod..

no u
no u
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 08:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

be afraid, be very afraid. :paranoid:

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 08:44 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

signa wrote:

Friend of mine went to a wireless security conference a couple weeks back. Lets just say that there is plenty to be paranoid about...

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 09:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tormentius wrote:
signa wrote:

Friend of mine went to a wireless security conference a couple weeks back. Lets just say that there is plenty to be paranoid about...

wireless is scary yes, but wired, no..

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 10:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow you guys - I think I reached a whole new level of idiocy. I just went to http://www.ipchicken.com and it told me that my IP was XX.XXX.XX.XXX. Not 192.168.0.100, like I’ve been telling my friend. Apparently, XX.XXX.XX.XXX is the IP given to me by my ISP, and 192.168.0.100 is an internal network address given by the router. I felt really stupid after discovering this…

BUT...

I'm in an apartment with one other roommate. Both of our computers are hooked up through the same router. I went on my roommate’s computer and went to http://www.ipchicken.com, and it listed his current IP address as XX.XXX.XX.XXX as well. Shouldn’t this be completely wrong? Doesn’t each individual computer have their own IP address? Or do we share the same IP address because we go through the same router?

EDIT:
Also, is it required that you set the protocol type as UDP? My friend and me recently played each other online in ZSNES NetPlay, but we couldn't establish a full connection under UDP. Only under TCP.

Under UDP, it would say that it "found a client" every time he tried to connect to me, but it would never fully connect...

Last edited by BlueBomber on 02-28-2005 12:18 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 12:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

BlueBomber wrote:
Wow you guys - I think I reached a whole new level of idiocy. I just went to http://www.ipchicken.com and it told me that my IP was XX.XX.XX.XX. Not 192.168.0.100, like I’ve been telling my friend. Apparently, XX.XX.XX.XX is the IP given to me by my ISP, and 192.168.0.100 is an internal network address given by the router. I felt really stupid after discovering this…

BUT...

I'm in an apartment with one other roommate. Both of our computers are hooked up through the same router. I went on my roommate’s computer and went to http://www.ipchicken.com, and it listed his current IP address as XX.XX.XX.XX as well. Shouldn’t this be completely wrong? Doesn’t each individual computer have their own IP address? Or do we share the same IP address because we go through the same router?

EDIT:
Also, is it required that you set the protocol type as UDP? My friend and me recently played each other online in ZSNES NetPlay, but we couldn't establish a full connection under UDP. Only under TCP.

Under UDP, it would say that it "found a client" every time he tried to connect to me, but it would never fully connect...

dude, sigh.. STOP POSTING YOUR IP ADDRESS IN PUBLIC INTERNET FORUMS...

Secondly, the ip your isp gives you, your router uses.. your ip is 192.168.0.100.. your friend needs to connect to the routers IP, the ports get forwarded so your computer can talk outside the router on those ports..

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 12:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

68.119.17.215 is actually the IP Address assigned by your ISP. In a case where only one computer is using the internet connection using the ADSL/Cable modem, that IP Address will only belong to that one single computer. However, since you're using a router to share the connection, both computers will appear to have the same public IP Address to the outside world. The IP Address is actually physically assigned to the router instead of the machines. The machines use something called NAT (network address translation) via the router to get/send info to the internet.

Suppose your machine's local IP Address is 192.168.0.100 and you go to quake3world.com using IE. That request goes to the router, which remembers something like "192.168.0.100 made a request for quake3world.com" .. then it goes ahead and fetches that information. Once it gets the page, it checks and sees that it was 192.168.0.100 who requested quake3world.com and so only sends the info back to that computer.

That's just an overly simplified overview of how it all works but I hope it makes things clearer for you. If you wanna read up on NAT further, I recommend reading this article on howstuffworks.com

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 02:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Allright fellas. So I messed with the router some more last night, and in the Virtual Server I ended up entering in my LAN IP in the Private IP slot, with private and public port set at 27960. I turned on Quake III this morning and let a dedicated Internet server run for a couple hours while I was at class. I instant messaged my friend to give it a try using my WAN IP and port 27960 one more time when he woke up. When I came back, I saw that a bunch of different people had connected at random times and were running around and everything, including my friend who has been trying to connect to me this whole time. Now, there is currently 2 people running around killing each other, but my friend can't connect again for some reason. I know that I set the player limit to about 20, so it’s not like its full or anything. Any ideas?

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 03-01-2005 02:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If other people are able to connect to your server, then the problem is likely on your friend's side. Is he running a software firewall which might be blocking quake3 from accessing the net connection? What's the exact message he gets?

I remember recently there was some kind of issue connecting with id's master servers for cdkey verification or whatever. You needed to forward some ports even if all you were doing was connecting to an external server. There were tons of resources on the old T&T about this, unfortunately they were all lost in the recent forum crapness here. Maybe somebody still remembers which ports you had to forward for this .. ?

In any case, more information from your friend's end would definitely help in narrowing down the problem.

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 03-01-2005 08:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The master server port is UDP 27950 iirc.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 03-01-2005 03:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey guys. I don’t know how, but my buddy just connected to me a bunch of times with no problem. Must have been a temporary problem on his side. Thanks for teaching me the wonders of port forwarding and how it works. I want to thank you all for helping me through this. Couldn’t have done it without you guys. Don’t worry though…I’m sure you’ll hear a lot more from me about future problems that may arise. Thanks again!

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.