Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Question about downloads & web browsing

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Question about downloads & web browsing

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 03-07-2005 05:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've noticed that whenever I am downloading something, my connection gets crippled. It's like 98% of my bandwidth is going toward downloading the file, so trying to browse Q3W while I wait feels like I'm on 56k, when I'm really on a 1mb cable connection. It doesn't matter if I use IE's default way of downloading thins or a 3rd party app. Recently I switched over to Firefox and still have the problem.

Anyone know if there's a way to specify file downloads to only use a certain percetage of my available bandwidth?

KITTY!!
KITTY!!
PostPosted: 03-07-2005 08:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you get get external programs that lmit bandwidth usage, netlimiter limits specific programs like firefox and ie, and you can also get a program like getright, slap your download in there and make a cap.

I had a similar experience as you with my 1meg line, it turned out the problem wasn't at my end. But the local exchange was getting a phat upgrade and teething problems resulted in dodgey connections.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 03-07-2005 09:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip! I'll look into netlimiter and getright.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-07-2005 11:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

what kind of connection are you using? and what Browser are you using?

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 03-09-2005 07:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cable internet, around 768kbps down, 128 up. I have the problem with both IE and Firefox.

PostPosted: 03-09-2005 07:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've noticed that if your whole upload is used, browsing becomes very slow. Therefore, when I share stuff, I limit it to 80kb/s out of my total ~90kb/s (900kbps) and its all fine. I've never had issues with the download bandwidth causing the problem though.

oblivion
oblivion
PostPosted: 03-09-2005 09:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

get a better connection.

also, toxic. you take the kilobits and divide by 8. not 10.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 05:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A better connection? Pfft. Games and web browsing is fine. I can't imagine needing a better connection for anything. The only time I have a problem is when downloading things, it feels like I'm back on dialup (though my file downloads at 300KBps).

oblivion
oblivion
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 07:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yes. your download goes at 300kb/s. thats why everything is slow. are you daft? you are completely hogging the line of all other traffic. its because you have a shitty connection. and dont pfft me about it, its true.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 08:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obliv, i max out my downloading and surfing isent slow at all...

Get a Banwith viewer ( like statbar ) and download somethign at 300k/sec and im willing to bet it is maxing out your upload.

oblivion
oblivion
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 02:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AmIdYfReAk wrote:
obliv, i max out my downloading and surfing isent slow at all...

me either. but my connection doesnt suck.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.