Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Excel Programming (VBA)

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Excel Programming (VBA)

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 02-17-2005 02:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

As i'm currently doing some research in prime numbers, i decided to collect some data i need for my maths with excel, as it allready includes a good ways to represent the data after creating the numbers (colouring certain cells, etc...).

But as i don't know shit about vba - and as google is full of payed ad-links when it comes to excel - it'd be nice if someone could point me to a free internet resource on vba programming. I allready know C and Java btw, so i dont need general programming info ...

Things i need to know:

1 - how are simple functions implemented for excel/basic.
something like:
Code:
void bla(int x, string y)
{
    // - code -
}

2 - how to access (in/out) a certain cell in a certain document by its index

hm... i think that's all.

PostPosted: 02-17-2005 03:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Getting ready for work so I gotta make this quick.

vbcity

Check that place out. It's been very helpfull for me. There's a forum specifically for VBA and excel.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 02-17-2005 05:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thanks a lot.

btw - i just found a nerd joke.

Code:
Dim sum ...

:icon19:

Paragon of Cruelty
Paragon of Cruelty
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 05:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

vb is almost counter intuitive if you know any "real" (for want of a better term - don't crucify me if you worship VB) languages.

I mean, functions.... come on. No return? Small children can easilly understand the concept. What's with setting the function name equal to the result?

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 11:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not a VB worshipper but it definitely has its uses. I'm not overly familiar with VB6 as I only used it for one uni project, but I've been professionally using VB.NET for our GUIs for a year now and it's pretty damn solid. Gets rid of a lot of old VB6 inconsistencies and crap, adds OO support not to mention .NET libraries and countless other improvements.

Paragon of Cruelty
Paragon of Cruelty
PostPosted: 02-23-2005 07:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh yeah - to be sure. I was knocking the old VB6 and back. .Net is pretty much an improvement on everything.

PostPosted: 02-23-2005 10:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How much different is VB.NET than VB6? Would there be a large amount of relearning?

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 12:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

As I said, I'm not too familiar with VB6 but I'd guess a fair amount of learning would be in order.

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 12:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

U4EA wrote:
As I said, I'm not too familiar with VB6 but I'd guess a fair amount of learning would be in order.

Yeah, I'd say quite a bit.

PostPosted: 02-25-2005 02:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What I was afraid of. Well, back to the books.....

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.