Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        PC doesn't start up correctly! WHELP!!! WHELP PLEASE!!!1111

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: PC doesn't start up correctly! WHELP!!! WHELP PLEASE!!!1111

KingmanULTRA
KingmanULTRA
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 05:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mmkay, so, I have an older prebuild machine that is giving me trouble.

What happened

1) I wanted to remove a DVD burner from this machine. I did so and attempted to start up the PC afterwards (there is still a CD drive in there).
2) The startup screen (the HP/XP logo) shows up fine, but when it normally should go to the desktop the monitor goes from green light to yellow light and nothing shows up.
3) It seems like the computer itself is still booting up fine, but it's not displayed on the monitor.

This system actually has an onboard graphics card but I placed a cheap Geforce 4 MX in there. One more thing: Originally, being the idiot I am, I booted up the system with the monitor connected to my disabled onboard video card. It didn't work and I then moved the cable to the Geforce. Could this have something to do with it?!

Anay ideas?

oblivion
oblivion
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 05:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

that would have NOTHING to do with it. it isnt booting because its an HP. sorry to say. i worked as an hp tech and basically you will have to call them for support. otherwise i'll just tell you to format and re-install.

or of course you can turnh on the machine and press F10 constantly until you get the bootup menu. then there are 2 options. one will format and re-install. the other will re-install all windows files. removing everything in my documents but leaving other folders alone.

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 05:54 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

what I would do is check the jumper settings on the remaining optical drive. Set it to master or cable select if it is not on either.

oblivion
oblivion
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 05:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

why? its already got by there. its found the drive and booted from it....

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 06:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well it could still be an issue somehow and I have spents hours trying to solve problems where the solution was quite simple and overlooked.

Mr. Anderson!
Mr. Anderson!
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 06:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No it didn't, he said there was an optical there, nad that he tried turning it on. There is no mention of booting to disc. It just shows the BIOS picture, then goes black. I'd say to do exactly what KoS said, and while you're in there, make sure you didn't happen to knock anything loose.

oblivion
oblivion
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 06:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

KingManULTRA wrote:
2) The startup screen (the HP/XP logo) shows up fine, but when it normally should go to the desktop the monitor goes from green light to yellow light and nothing shows up.

are you both blind? gets bios screen, gets xp screen (MEANING IT BOOTS FROM THE HARD DISK FINE), then, when hitting desktop, it goes black. learn to read. the fucking lot of you.

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 06:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:icon19:

ummmmmmmm I take it you can't get into safemode?

edit: btw dude, formatting is a last resort...You gonna buy a new car just b/c it want start...

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 07:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

When installing the new drive did you maybe jar something loose? Check your connections.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 09:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bork[e] wrote:
:icon19:

ummmmmmmm I take it you can't get into safemode?

edit: btw dude, formatting is a last resort...You gonna buy a new car just b/c it want start...

Formatting is fun.. people should do it more often, then they would have less issues with their computers and learn more about their hardware, and drivers..

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 10:07 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oblivi0.on wrote:
KingManULTRA wrote:

are you both blind? gets bios screen, gets xp screen (MEANING IT BOOTS FROM THE HARD DISK FINE), then, when hitting desktop, it goes black. learn to read. the fucking lot of you.

well it is still possible. People need to learn anything is possible and before trying to reinstall drivers, reformatting or using a full pot of coffee checking the jumpers with any IDE related error is a smart thing to do.

To KingMan I would go into your BIOS, I forget what it is on HPs try hitting the delete key and all the F keys when you are there disable the HP logo so you can see what is happening within the BIOS. Also make sure the cable is fit snig into the drive and try putting the IDE end that was in the DVD burner into the CD drive.

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 10:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kills On Site wrote:

well it is still possible. People need to learn anything is possible and before trying to reinstall drivers, reformatting or using a full pot of coffee checking the jumpers with any IDE related error is a smart thing to do.

No, it isn't a possible cause to this issue. XP is booting which means its past drive detection like Obliv said.
:icon6:

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 10:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tormentius wrote:
Kills On Site wrote:

No, it isn't a possible cause to this issue. XP is booting which means its past drive detection like Obliv said.
:icon6:

His install might be flipping out if he took out a master dvd drive and its trying to find a single slave on a 2 device cable..

ive had installs flip out for less.. so id check jumpers too.

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 10:32 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Really? I have never seen or heard of an "install flipping out" over a jumper setting. If a jumper setting is wrong the issue normally occurs before the OS loads.

oblivion
oblivion
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 10:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tormentius wrote:
Really? I have never seen or heard of an "install flipping out" over a jumper setting. If a jumper setting is wrong the issue normally occurs before the OS loads.

exactly....ARRRGHGH..

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 11:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well what if some driver or some shit from HP is in the boot sequence and is told specifically to goto the master device, well if the CD drive is specifically on slave then it won't find a device. My point is that a problem that happens only after a device that requires a jumper that it is always possible for the jumper to be the issue.

oblivion
oblivion
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 11:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

listen. do you know how the boot sequence works? because i dont think you do.

the BIOS handle all boot options. no DRIVERS or "hp specific" drivers either.

bios scan cables. finds device. loads device. loads windows from device (we know this BECAUSE the windows xp screen starts loading). now, bios is DONE and over with. it has found the device and booted from it. obviously the problem lies with ruined files on the hard disk. but as for jumpers, not a fucking chance.

oblivion
oblivion
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 11:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

also, even if he removed a device do you think that little jumper on the back of the previous master device (hard disk) deviced to magically jump to the slave postion. try to think next time ffs.

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 11:46 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Let me lend you a lil demo, I just shut down my PC, unpluged my master drive and tried to boot. It went past BIOS and then gave me a corrupted driver screen from WINDOWS not the BIOS. Now the PC I did this on is basically an HP (numerous upgrades and no HP Windows install but otherwise HP mobo and BIOS). I just don't see how you people can say that removing a master IDE device and having issues, no matter how bizarre, cannot be in anyway related to the jumper settings.

My original advice of checking the damn jumper and switch the CD to the other IDE connector is not dumb founded. Besides checking the jumper is a simple procedure and is cannot fuck anything up just by checking it as where you told him to reinstall.

I'm sorry, but I would think that checking and changing jumper positions would be a simplier and less tedious and data destructive path to take then a reinstall. So please before being so quick to jump on my ass for what you think is a stupid suggestion you should try and give something more constructive and issue related then reinstalling.

Also what if the firmware or something else within the CD drive itself is fucked up. I would definatly recommend he swap out drives and fool around with that before he purges all his data and settings.

oblivion
oblivion
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 11:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you are one of those rich kids that are given everything which makes them think they know what they are talking about, arent you?

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 11:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oblivi0.on wrote:
also, even if he removed a device do you think that little jumper on the back of the previous master device (hard disk) deviced to magically jump to the slave postion. try to think next time ffs.

He was vauge. I assumed his HDD was Master Primary IDE and his DVD burner was Master Secondary IDE and CD Drive was Slave Secondary IDE. That would make most sence, and is what HP did with my HP, not to mention that one of the devices must be on a different IDE channel from the other two.

oblivion
oblivion
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 11:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kills On Site wrote:
Oblivi0.on wrote:

He was vauge. I assumed his HDD was Master Primary IDE and his DVD burner was Master Secondary IDE and CD Drive was Slave Secondary IDE. That would make most sence, and is what HP did with my HP, not to mention that one of the devices must be on a different IDE channel from the other two.

ok, lets take your "assumption" here. if the hdd was primary master, and dvd burner was secondary master, how would taking the sec master out affect anything with the primary master?

it would still be master. it would still be primary. it would still be the first boot option. so not s fucking thing has changed in the boot sequence.

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 11:51 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lets get back on track here guys. I think we can rule out the jumper.

KingManULTRA: Have you checked that you don't have a loose component?

KingmanULTRA
KingmanULTRA
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 04:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

All the cables seem to be fine. How exactly do you change the jumper settings?

If nothing else works I could still do a format (although there is a decent amount of important stuff on there).

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 05:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The jumper is that little piece beside the IDE connector on a drive, it usually has three settings, master, slave and cable select. You probably need to take the CD drive out to look at it and change it

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 05:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oblivi0.on wrote:
Kills On Site wrote:
Oblivi0.on wrote:

ok, lets take your "assumption" here. if the hdd was primary master, and dvd burner was secondary master, how would taking the sec master out affect anything with the primary master?

it would still be master. it would still be primary. it would still be the first boot option. so not s fucking thing has changed in the boot sequence.

Yes it would start the boot process (which is what i meant by sequence, I did not mean the boot order) and then Windows would look for a driver for the device and it would fail to find secondary master. Why you think checking the jumpers is a horrible idea and will do nothing? After all we do not have a ton of facts and the jumper could, not is, but could be a culprit as where you say that there is no chance in hell that the jumper could cause this issue. So before you go jumping on my ass I would like to see a suggestion from you.

oblivion
oblivion
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 09:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

no its not a culprit. windows does not "die" when it cant find a device. it updates its files and doesnt show it in my computer. thats what windowsxp does. thats why its called plug and play.

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 09:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

KingManULTRA wrote:
All the cables seem to be fine. How exactly do you change the jumper settings?

If nothing else works I could still do a format (although there is a decent amount of important stuff on there).

As someone mentioned earlier, can you get into safe mode (hit F8 during boot)?

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 09:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kills On Site wrote:
Yes it would start the boot process (which is what i meant by sequence, I did not mean the boot order) and then Windows would look for a driver for the device and it would fail to find secondary master.

No KoS, that wouldn't make a difference.
I'd suggest reading up on the boot sequence and XP's startup sequence a bit more. If you guys want to debate this further start a thread for it.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 11:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tormentius wrote:

then you havent worked on some serious boneheads computers..

trust me, ive see some retarded shit, and a OS flipping out and not booting fully due to a jumper on a cd drive is one of them..

oblivion
oblivion
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 11:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SOAPboy wrote:
Tormentius wrote:
trust me, ive see some retarded shit, and a OS flipping out and not booting fully due to a jumper on a cd drive is one of them..

oh mystical goth. please read the inital post. the user took out thew cdrom drive...so even if he took out the pins and chewed on them it wouldnt affect the bootup, because its not in the pc. bam.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.