Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        tell me about lcd monitors....

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: tell me about lcd monitors....

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 06:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

since my monitor is starting to hiss and pop with more regularity of late, i figure it's time to start doing some research on lcd's, which i know very little about.

i use a 19" crt now and don't want to go any lower than that size. i notice there is no refresh rates, just response times. i presume they are similar? though the lower the number the better/faster video is rendered? as everyone knows q3 and 125fps/120hz refresh go hand in hand. how does this translate with an lcd monitor? what id ghosting?

i was looking on newegg and found this:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDe ... 185&depa=1

it's significantly less than most of the other 19" lcd's they sell and i notice an 8ms response time. anyone have an experience with this particular model?

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 06:57 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Response time is in seconds, refresh rate is in Hz. To convert, take 1000/response time.
So for an 8ms response time we see that's equivalent to a 120hz display.

However, CRTs flicker at low refresh because the pixels fade to black in between refreshes. The time it takes an LCD to fade is significantly higher, and so lower refresh rates on TFTs do not cause such eye strain problems.

For gaming, you'll want to try and source an 8ms 19" screen then, but those won't be cheap.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 08:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Both 17" and 19" monitors will have a native resolution of 1280x1024, so in terms of screen resolution, they are actually the same. Only difference is that 17" will have a smaller dot-pitch. For gaming and graphics, I would probably recommend a 17". If you're getting old with blurry vision and need to read a lot of text, 19" would be better.

Response time and refresh rates don't entirely equate. Refresh rates are a measurement of how fast the CRT monitor takes to do one scan of the display. Response time measures how fast the pixels of the LCD can update the information. Personally, I would stick to at *least* 16ms, though the lower the better. 12ms is decent, 8ms would be amazing.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 08:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:
Response time is in seconds, refresh rate is in Hz. To convert, take 1000/response time.
So for an 8ms response time we see that's equivalent to a 120hz display.

However, CRTs flicker at low refresh because the pixels fade to black in between refreshes. The time it takes an LCD to fade is significantly higher, and so lower refresh rates on TFTs do not cause such eye strain problems.

For gaming, you'll want to try and source an 8ms 19" screen then, but those won't be cheap.

ahhh, thanks. exactly what i was looking for.

that link i provided is a samsung 915N 19" for $379 adn free shipping. i don't know why it's so cheap.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-12-2005 11:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

prince1000 wrote:

ahhh, thanks. exactly what i was looking for.

that link i provided is a samsung 915N 19" for $379 adn free shipping. i don't know why it's so cheap.

let us know what you think if you get it. ive been eyeing up the same one.

Black Magic
Black Magic
PostPosted: 03-12-2005 02:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thats a good monitor for the money for sure :icon14:

its so cheap (those used to be around $500) because thats now a discontinued monitor, NewEgg is probably just clearing out their stock.

the only thing i can say bad about it is its analog only input.
I prefer my digital monitors to have digital inputs.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-13-2005 07:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

well, i've dealt with samsung the last few years and their crt monitors though inexpensive are not that great. the one i'm using now is refurbished and the third one of it's kind i had sent to me (the original one i bought was dropped in shipment or something and they refused to send me a new one)

i don't think i want to deal with samsung again or a discontinued monitor no matter how cheap. i will keep looking...

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-13-2005 11:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the 915N, 8ms sammy is a discontinued product already?

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 03-13-2005 11:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I wouldn't get it. As the Doc said, it has no DVI input. I think it's wortwhile to get one with DVI, but some people may disagree.

The Dell 2001FP is on sale for mid 400s right now. It's a 20" LCD with 1600x1200 resolution and a good gaming monitor (in terms of response time and all).

I'm a bit addicted to 1600x1200, so I think I'd buy that one if I had the money for a new monitor.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.