Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        How to install windows on a sata drive?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: How to install windows on a sata drive?

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 03-12-2005 06:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Could some one help me out with installing a sata drive with THIS motherboard? THIS is the Drive.

Im going to run WinXP Pro. One other thing, when the windows setup asks if you have any raid devices to install press F6. I press it a million times and it does nothing. Little help please :).

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 03-12-2005 07:39 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

this may sound strange, but what keyboard do you have? If you have one that has alternate F key assignments then when you startup the computer you need to hit the "F-Lock" button and then try hitting F6, if that does not work try a different keyboard.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 03-12-2005 09:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hitting F6 doesn't ever do anythig right away. After widows finishes loading all of the temp files, it'll promt you for a disk with your raid drivers. That's when you'll put in the raid driver disk and load the raid drivers.

About your SATA problem. Check to see if you've enabled everything to do with the SATA ports in your BIOS. You might want to check and make sure your raid controller is enabled too.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-13-2005 12:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

use Nlite and make an Windows X cd that allteady has the files on it... its the simplist way...

http://nuhi.msfn.org/

the guides and etc are there, that is what i use when ever i get a new PC or what not, you just apply the SATA Drivers within the integrated Driver portion of the Program, it will compile the CD again and amek an iso ( if you want ) simply Burn, and you are good to go.. no F6 required.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 03-13-2005 07:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I got it all installed and working. I can already tell that its much faster than my other IDE drives. Just loaded up HL2, and no more stuttering :). Might as well replace my backup 250 gig IDE drive too :paranoid:

BTW I just upgraded to a seagate because my SECOND 120 gig maxtor drive died on me. I will never buy maxtor again, and of course they are passed warranty. Ive only had them for 2 years :dork:

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 03-13-2005 08:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just for my future reference as I may be buying MSI's Neo4 at some point, what was the solution?

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 03-13-2005 08:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just as said. Run the Boot CD for winxp, Press F6 then it will load the temp files. It will then ask if you want to install the drivers. Then just put in the floppy(yeah I know gay, I didnt have a floppy installed on my computer)that came with the motherboard for the sata drivers. Load them, and you can install windows as you would normally.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 03-13-2005 09:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AmIdYfReAk wrote:
use Nlite and make an Windows X cd that allteady has the files on it... its the simplist way...

http://nuhi.msfn.org/

the guides and etc are there, that is what i use when ever i get a new PC or what not, you just apply the SATA Drivers within the integrated Driver portion of the Program, it will compile the CD again and amek an iso ( if you want ) simply Burn, and you are good to go.. no F6 required.

So you just download this Nlite and burn it to a CD, or do you mean to ADD Nlite to the windows XP CD?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-14-2005 06:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

corpse wrote:
So you just download this Nlite and burn it to a CD, or do you mean to ADD Nlite to the windows XP CD?

Never used Nlite, but I assume it's a program that allows you to create a slipstreamed version of your WinXP installation CD. Basically, it allows you to add/remove which components from the XP CD that you want installed and then burn it from an ISO that the program spits out. For example, add drivers and Windows service packs to the CD so that they automatically install while removing unused components like Outlook Express and Messenger if you don't use them.

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 03-14-2005 07:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is it a USB keyboard? Try using a PS2 adapter until the install is finished. F6 will probably work then.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-14-2005 09:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

corpse wrote:

you use the program to compile a CD witht he options you set, so Adding Hot fix's, Slipstreeming, Adding drivers, Tweaks, Etc etc etc..

it takes 20 mins, in total ( the longest part is to copy the XP CD to your computer )

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 03-14-2005 09:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AmIdYfReAk wrote:
corpse wrote:

you use the program to compile a CD witht he options you set, so Adding Hot fix's, Slipstreeming, Adding drivers, Tweaks, Etc etc etc..

it takes 20 mins, in total ( the longest part is to copy the XP CD to your computer )

Just want to be absolutely sure. The Nlite is on a separate CD from XP and you use the Nlite CD to set up the sata stuff and then you put the XP CD back in and install it?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 05:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ok, Listen....

you have windows installed on a computer that had a burner..

you Start up Nlite,
you start the process
it will ask for your CD of windows XP
Put in the CD,
it will copy the files off of the cd to your harddrive
then it will ask you what you would like to do with the install process, Change settings, add windows Patches, drivers etc
when you are done, you tell it to make the changes.
it will go through the files that it copyed off of your windows XP CD and make the changes that you said during the process
then it will prompt you if you want to make an ISO, select yes.
an iso image will be made for you, self booting etc etc, Burn this image..

Now use the disk you just burned to install windows..

so inturn, Nlite is a program that will alter how windows is installed, and outputs the modified files for you to BURN and use. it will not alter the Windows CD you allready have, and you dont need to install it or anything after you use it..

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 06:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just google 'slipstream' and you'll get the idea.

Thanks Amidy for the link to the program, I may want to try this the next time I need a reinstall.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 10:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nLite is great, I've used it to create a Windows XP w/SP2 CD :icon14:

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 03-16-2005 04:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.