Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Gentoo

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Gentoo

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-10-2005 12:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow... I must be absolutely dreaming to think this board has come back on this particular night. Just in case it's not actually a dream, Gentoo rocks! Even though Slackware is where my heart really lies, Gentoo is working it's magic on me. Something about the way it handles startup scripts and emerging packages I haven't even heard of just gets to me.

Either way, rock the hell on having the ol' board back!

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 02-10-2005 12:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey Energon, sure is good to be back.

Gentoo is just so slick with it's packaging system. Not to mention the speed difference is like night and day compared to Slack. Well, if you optimise it that is...

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 10:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hey I'll have to give it a go then.
hi seg. new mexico??? what you don't appreciate Denver's bleeding-edge IT market? :icon26:

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 12:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah I moved back to Albuquerque about 2 years ago. I loved Denver but, I'm back in my hometown. Got some family here.

Timbo
Timbo
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 08:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ubuntu!

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 04:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

a budd of mine spent the past two days gettin her running... only to reboot and get a nice error from Lilo.

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 02-16-2005 03:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seems a bit picky about hardware when it's installed - great once it's up and running.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-16-2005 06:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AmIdYfReAk wrote:
a budd of mine spent the past two days gettin her running... only to reboot and get a nice error from Lilo.

huh, I wonder if you tried to get his peer to peer networking off the ground or something.
did he disable norton personal firewall? :icon19:

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 02-16-2005 10:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AmIdYfReAk wrote:

Try using GRUB instead, I've been pretty successful with it.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=10

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-16-2005 08:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

he ended up booting off of the cd, and installing Grub.. no sweat.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.