Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Proposed Upgrades

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Proposed Upgrades

Mr. Anderson!
Mr. Anderson!
PostPosted: 03-16-2005 04:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=1396629

If that fails, let me know and I'll just copy paste my shit in. I'm still contemplating if I should get SOAP's 9800Pro, or use that money to get the nice logitech mouse with its own thread and a nice keyboard, along with start towards another monitor or sommat.

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 03-16-2005 04:36 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well I don't see the reason for the Zalman Copper HSF as it would be cheaper to get a retail proc

Looks nice overall tho

Mr. Anderson!
Mr. Anderson!
PostPosted: 03-16-2005 04:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Then why did you buy a massive coppy block and tornado for you athlon XP? Cooler is better, and if I ever try to OC, then I have a nice HSF.

EDIT: Just noticed that the mobo is UV treated, as is the PSU, and that there's a yellow version of that case. :icon25:

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 03-16-2005 04:59 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The reason for my Thermalright is my proc is definatly unlocked, i dont know if the 754s are, and it is a good OCer and I have a 20% OC on it.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 03-16-2005 06:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Agent, I'll never buy another Zalman HSF similar to their current design, I wouldn't get that one.

I recently replaced my 7000AlCu with an Arctic Cooling Freezer 4 (heatpipe cooler). I paid under $30 including tax & shipping, and my CPU temp shows a 12 degree CELSIUS drop in temps.

Plus this thing is less noisy at 12volts than the Zalman was at 7v.

They make the Freezer 64 for A64. Or another similar cooler is the Coolermaster heatpipe one. Also, the Thermalright XP-90 is great if you get a good fan for it, but it's a little more expensive than Freezer 64 alone & you need to buy a fan for it. That probably has the best performance of any of these.

But if you really want a 7000 series, I'll sell you my old one for cheap. I think I have the A64 mounting hardware...

KITTY!!
KITTY!!
PostPosted: 03-16-2005 06:46 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i'd rather pay a bit more and get a socket 939 mobo+processor for future upgrades etc. And even after that, a Nforce 4 motherboard. Shouldn' t cost too much more

Mr. Anderson!
Mr. Anderson!
PostPosted: 03-16-2005 06:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I looked at it on newegg, and its $9 cheaper, looks fugly, is way to big for me to feel comfortable using it in a vertical alignment, and is a lot louder than the 7000Cu, which is different from your Aluminum/copper one.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 03-16-2005 07:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Okay, but I'd like to point out that it weighs 300g (about 60%) more than the Freezer 64. So I don't think it's going to be any safer.

And if you're saying it's louder because of what the manufacturers ratings are, they lie. I had my 7000AlCu (same db rating as your HSF as far as I can tell) at 7 volts. I replaced it with the Freezer 4 (at 12v) and notice no noise increase. I believe it was a very minor decrease. I have no doubt it is quieter at 12v than the Zalman was anywhere near 12v.

But it's up to you.

DiscoDave:
Sure, the DFI NForce4 Ultra board would be great....but it does cost $40-50 more.

Last edited by Psyche911 on 03-16-2005 10:09 PM, edited 1 time in total.

no u
no u
PostPosted: 03-16-2005 07:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have a 128mb ATI 9800pro just sitting here that I was selling to a friend, but he never got back to me. :ninja:

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 03-16-2005 08:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

signa wrote:
I have a 128mb ATI 9800pro just sitting here that I was selling to a friend, but he never got back to me. :ninja:

hes buying mine.. :icon33:

no u
no u
PostPosted: 03-16-2005 08:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

not if mine is cheaper. >:E

j/k

Mr. Anderson!
Mr. Anderson!
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 09:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, I ditched the zalman, went to retail on the CPU(and went from a 30 to 3 year warranty on it in the process) saving $30, added the necessary components to a make my old parts a complete PC for my little sister for her birthday, and it should hopefully be here middle of next week. Sorry SOAP, but the video card was the deciding factor, I had to ditch the hope of it if I was to get anything else. So for now, I'm stuck with my 9600XT and a 64-bit CPU an gig of RAM. Can you say bottleneck? Now if I can convince my father to buy me a PSP...

Black Magic
Black Magic
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 03:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i've had my 2.4 gig running strong @ 3gig on my swiftech for quite a long time now.
they're expensive... but i swear by them; fantastic workmanship and you can put whateverthefuck 80mm fan you want on it

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.