Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Web site counter

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Web site counter

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 09:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have a friend with a Web site and he wants to know if he can put a counter on it to count the number of people that visit the site.

Is this done from the server [web hosting site] or from the local machine?

no u
no u
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 09:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

if you have php, cgi, or other scripting availible, its usually easy to add in a script that way. ive used count me in the past which is a php script.

another method is to sign up for one of the free online counters. there are lots of those. I currently use statcounter

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 12:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So these would go onto my friends computer, as in on his side of things, NOT on the host server side, right?

no u
no u
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 01:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

no they would go on the webserver, along with all your html files. except for the free counter types (like statcounter), in which you just include a snippet of their code in your html files.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 03:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sorry man. If he uses statcounter and the code is put on his machine, then only his machine will show the counts, right?

They won't show up on the actual Web site for all to see.

no u
no u
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 08:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

im not really sure what you mean. the code would reside on the webserver (in the actual webpages) with the visit count for everyone to see, unless you tell statcounter to count, but not display a counter.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 03-18-2005 12:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think I see what you mean. I thought, at first, that you meant the free ones only resided on the client machine, which means they wouldnt show up on the whole site. But, I see thats not what you meant

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.