Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Cutting DVDs to Fit on PSP

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Cutting DVDs to Fit on PSP

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 03-18-2005 07:04 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well today I repaid and reserved my PSP and cannot wait to get it. One of the things I want to do is take my Stargate, Invader Zim and McGyver season DVDs and cut them into episodes to fit on a memory stick, probably 256MB or 512MB. I know the PSP uses MPEG-2 encoding, what software would I need to go from DVD to watching episodes on my PSP?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-18-2005 08:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

measure the diameter of a PSP dvd, cut your burnt dvd into a square of that size, then cut off the corners (making a octagon of sorts), then burn your movies.

should work in theory :paranoid:

failing that, pick up some "buisness card" or "miniDVD" sized discs and try them out for a slightly less poor-man-wants-to-watch-eps-on-his-psp

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 03-18-2005 09:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:icon19: Sorry, that made me laugh. :paranoid:

Mr. Anderson!
Mr. Anderson!
PostPosted: 03-19-2005 07:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

check the screensaver's site, they did a segment on this very thing a month or so ago. Its a good 15 steps requiring 4 apps in Windows, but IIRC, it takes a single app for OS X.

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 03-19-2005 10:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

4g3nt_Smith wrote:
check the screensaver's site, they did a segment on this very thing a month or so ago. Its a good 15 steps requiring 4 apps in Windows, but IIRC, it takes a single app for OS X.

yea, i tried searching for it before I posted, I remember seeing it but the I couldn't find it so far.

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 03-25-2005 07:57 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well I doubt that nobody here knows howto take a DVD and convert it to MPEG-2 and then edit the MPEG-2 file

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-25-2005 08:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you would be wrong,

VOB's are allready Mpeg2... so making it a Mpeg 2 would be... dumb?

editing it? thats also easy.. Take a look at ANY of the Editing Suites for Movies and etc.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 03-25-2005 09:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

not sure if this would help you or not.

Black Magic
Black Magic
PostPosted: 03-26-2005 11:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AmIdYfReAk wrote:
you would be wrong,

VOB's are allready Mpeg2... so making it a Mpeg 2 would be... dumb?

editing it? thats also easy.. Take a look at ANY of the Editing Suites for Movies and etc.

thats what i was thinking.
other than the fact that those chumps on tech-tv are pretty retarded, i'm not sure how the hell they need 4 programs to convert an avi into an mpeg file.

Black Magic
Black Magic
PostPosted: 03-26-2005 11:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

+JuggerNaut+ wrote:

according to that site it looks like it uses Mpeg-4 not mpeg-2; which makes alot more sense.

Do the chickens have large talons?
PostPosted: 03-27-2005 04:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

!Berserker!
!Berserker!
PostPosted: 03-27-2005 07:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Somehow I doubt doing all that shit is really worth it. Watching a DVD on a PSP has to kill the things battery life, and its a pain in the ass. Just by a portable DVD player.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-27-2005 08:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
http://www.kielmartin.net/pspmovie/

sweet, ive been lookin for a proggy to do that for a wile now.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 03-27-2005 10:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Deathshroud wrote:
Somehow I doubt doing all that shit is really worth it. Watching a DVD on a PSP has to kill the things battery life, and its a pain in the ass. Just by a portable DVD player.

i'd rather go thru a little extra trouble rather than carry another piece of gear with me.

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 03-27-2005 10:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Deathshroud wrote:

now why would a DVD drain life running from a solid state memory card moreso then runnning a game from a mini disk that has to do all the calulations as where a movie is already rendered?

PostPosted: 03-27-2005 01:10 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AmIdYfReAk wrote:
andyman wrote:
http://www.kielmartin.net/pspmovie/

sweet, ive been lookin for a proggy to do that for a wile now.

I'm going through the process now. Tell me if you want the video to see if it works....I don't have a PSP

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-27-2005 02:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

neather do i, i've been trying to convert vob's with the least amount of hasstle.. And this priggy gives me that..

PostPosted: 03-27-2005 02:27 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oh...are you having trouble with the Simple Divx program? I am.

Also do youknow how to merge vobs, either before during or after they are being encoded?

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 03-27-2005 03:58 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well I am having the same issue with VOBs, they are split and usually not where I want them too. I am looking for three programs, or however many it takes,

A. One to merge VOBs
B. One to cut and edit video files
C. One to convert MOV, SWF, WMV and some others

I am having the issue of PSP Video 9 won't convert everything, and it converted one .wmV, but not another, anyone know why?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-27-2005 07:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
oh...are you having trouble with the Simple Divx program? I am.

Also do youknow how to merge vobs, either before during or after they are being encoded?

it will do the first pass, then it will just sit there...

Black Magic
Black Magic
PostPosted: 03-27-2005 09:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i'm kinda curious ... honest question:
why would anyone need to watch dvds on a handheld? or in a car?
i've still not managed to grasp that concept.
like, whats wrong with just watching them at home, where they can actually be enjoyed?
and when i'm in my car i usually prefer driving to watching a movie... or if i'm not driving i'm talking to the other monkey that is driving... you know.. being social.
if i have "downtime" at school or something, i goto a pc lab and use the net, or do this strange activity called studying.
i just don't understand the allure of watching movies outside of the environment they belong in.
i guess i just have too much respect for film.

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 03-27-2005 09:33 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well Watson, the bus has no computer lab, dont want to get out books and paper on the bumpy ass ride, I cant drive the bus. I am social on the bus, but at the end of the school day i would like to relax a bit and I don't watch movies so to say, I watch episodes of series

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 03-27-2005 09:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i'd have to agree with both of you. for me, having a car and not having to use any form of public transportation, i have no need for such a device. but for those using public transportation, a psp would be a godsend. gee, i wonder why it's selling so well in Japan and not as well here...?

woooo 10k!!!! :dork:

Last edited by +JuggerNaut+ on 03-27-2005 11:09 PM, edited 1 time in total.

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 03-27-2005 10:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well first 1 million PSPs sold, saw it on CNN,m yay

Oh also the color home menu of the PSP is deterimined by the month and April is pink WTF, so I might change to January or something lol

Last edited by Kills On Site on 03-28-2005 12:10 AM, edited 1 time in total.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 03-27-2005 11:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i think the deal with stores still having quite a few psp's left over is because they (sony corp) delayed the European launch to make sure they didn't fall short on the U.S. launch.

PostPosted: 03-28-2005 10:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

+JuggerNaut+ wrote:

This works for videos, my cousin can attest to that. I don't know bout movies yet...gonna try later tonight

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 03-28-2005 07:26 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This should be of use to all you psp owners... :p

http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewforum.php?f=12

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 03-28-2005 11:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
+JuggerNaut+ wrote:

This works for videos, my cousin can attest to that. I don't know bout movies yet...gonna try later tonight

hey, how'd that go?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.