Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Out of nowhere I have invincible spyware

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Out of nowhere I have invincible spyware

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 03-21-2005 07:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Apparently something I did has opened the floodgates. This morning when I turned my pc on, I was greeted with the most infections, debilitating spyware I've ever seen. I can't launch explorer without it automatically shutting down (so I can't get to my c:\), it's screwing with my wallpaper, turning it into a link for a spyware removal program (this is obviously the spyware's work in itself) and Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta 1 won't even get rid of it.

It says it does, but just seconds later, I've got the same problems again.

I'm running XP SP2, using Firefox, and I have Microsoft AntiSpyware auto protection/update on.

So -- first things first. I'd like to NOT have to reformat my hdd, so is there a good way that you guys know will work, to get rid of this stuff?

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 03-21-2005 08:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i can see that Microsft/Giant are doing well.

google "hijackthis" and run it. also better check with coolwebshredder. it's obvious MS's product is not doing you much good, so try spybot and/or Adaware. both free, both work very well.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 03-21-2005 09:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Turn system restore off (My computer > Right click > Properties > System Restore).

Also... where is your firewall? I trust you're using Firefox or Opera as a browser?

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 03-21-2005 02:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lalalala I did not say anything

Promise

Last edited by Russianator on 03-21-2005 03:28 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Anderson!
Mr. Anderson!
PostPosted: 03-21-2005 02:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

NO warez fuckbag.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 03-21-2005 03:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

????????????

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 03-21-2005 04:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

OK, big problems.

I've backed up all my important stuff -- now I want to reformat. However, I put the xp cd in the drive and it won't bring up an Windows install screen after reboot.

It just goes right into XP. Weird huh?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-21-2005 04:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

did u set the drive as first boot device? and is your disc bootable?

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 03-21-2005 05:06 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

+JuggerNaut+ wrote:

google "hijackthis" and run it. also better check with coolwebshredder. it's obvious MS's product is not doing you much good, so try spybot and/or Adaware. both free, both work very well.

MS'/Giant's app doesn't catch everything but it does (iirc) catch more than Spybot and Adaware put together.

Still, using at least one other app in addition to MS' is a good idea. Also, disable System Restore as Foo said and run a scan from safemode.

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 03-21-2005 05:07 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

4g3nt_Smith wrote:
NO warez fuckbag.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 03-21-2005 11:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tormentius wrote:
+JuggerNaut+ wrote:

MS'/Giant's app doesn't catch everything but it does (iirc) catch more than Spybot and Adaware put together.

hi sexy beast.

not that i don't believe you, i just don't. if you find me proof ( i can't find any), i'll use IT instead.

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 03-21-2005 11:11 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

+JuggerNaut+ wrote:

hi sexy beast.

not that i don't believe you, i just don't. if you find me proof ( i can't find any), i'll use IT instead.

I'll look around for the link in my chat logs tomorrow. It was quite awhile ago just before MS bought out Giant that I read a review on the major antispy vendors.

Don't get me wrong both Adaware and Spybot are great products. Personally, I run all three.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 03-21-2005 11:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I googled Giant and from what I can see there is only a beta release available. Is this correct?

If not, please point me in the right direction, thanks

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 03-22-2005 10:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yar, it's beta at this time, corpse.

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 03-22-2005 12:51 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It appears I stand corrected. It wasn't quite double but on the test ran here its the best of the bunch.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 03-22-2005 05:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thanks for the link. i'll direct some others to it. i've got no issues with spyware.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.