Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        External Hard Drive being a pain

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: External Hard Drive being a pain

Do the chickens have large talons?
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 01:44 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

...in the ASS.

Last week I had to reinstall windows on my secondary internal hard drive and make that the master. Now when I plug in my external hard drive (USB) it says I have to reformat it. It even says the same thing on my laptop.

Of course, reformatting is completely out of the question. i have over a years worth of pictures and videos that weren't backed up before this happened.

Any help on getting it recognized and used?

Thanks

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 01:53 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Were you using any encryption on the drive? Any security software?

Have you used it on your laptop (the one you didn't change) before without problems?

PostPosted: 02-11-2005 01:55 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't think I was using any special type of encryption....it worked on alot of other peoples computers before this.

It worked on my laptop too, and I really can't see any reason why it shouldn't work now....it jsut doesn't make any sense

edit: I had to reformat the laptop on the same day as the desktop.

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 04:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tricky

is it a fat32 ..ntsf problem ... i have no clue here.

PostPosted: 02-11-2005 04:26 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If I had to guess.....

When I was getting everything ready to reinstall windows I still had it plugged in. The internal hard drive is 200gb and so is the external, so when I would pick a hdd to prepare (i dont know terms) I might have picked the wrong one or something. Either way I don't think I'll ever get back into that hard drive.

1 year of deployment photos, videos, and what not completely fucked by microsoft. Maybe not them but I gotta blame something

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 08:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

can you boot from the usb first then Fix? the drive may have hidden boot files
and it may load ??

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 08:42 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I had a Maxtor One touch that was acting the same way today at work. I tried everything. I then removed the HD from the enclosure and connected to a computer running 2000 on the IDE for the CD-ROM. I had to change the jumper settings 3 times before it would boot with the HD that was originally USD. It booted up and stated that the drive had errors and asked me if I wanted it to correct them. sorry i dont remember the details but that is what I had to do today to get mine working.

Also my main computer at work hates new firewire/USB Hd's and always names the new drive f: which is currently in use for a network share. I go to manage the computer and manually assign a drive letter and that corrected it as well.

Hope this helps.

ZackDos

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 09:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

failing everything, you might be able to find a data retrieval place somewhere to send the drive and have them take a look at it... we had a flash card that fubar'd (same kinda issue) and we got it back with all our lost photos, plus some stuff we deleted. good stuff.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.