Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        USB pen drive and X-Box

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: USB pen drive and X-Box

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 03:08 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well for some odd reason everybody is sold out of X-Boxes.

For those that didn't read my topics in raw-one I will catch you up.

My X-Box DVD drive died, so I am modding my broken X-Box and getting a new X-Box. I bought a memory unit to transfer all my files from old to new before modding and putting a big hard drive in.

Now my problem is that the memory unit only holds 502 blocks and my games in KotOR are 1600 blocks. My friend gave me a X-Box controller to USB converter cable and I can hook up my pen drive to my X-Box, but how do I format the pen drive so I can put files on it?

Do the chickens have large talons?
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 03:40 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you're modding it cant you link it to your pc and read it as an ftp?

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 04:16 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
If you're modding it cant you link it to your pc and read it as an ftp?

yes, but how do I get the files onto the new stock X-Box?

PostPosted: 02-11-2005 04:47 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think it has to already be modded to get it to read.

but here is a link to a new drive, if you wanted to go that route instead

http://www.whitedog.co.uk/catalog/produ ... cts_id=510

that site also sells anything and everything you would need to mod an xbox too

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 06:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well I guess I will just play KotOR on the modded X-Box, oh well, not that big of a hassle.

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 04:48 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

On a related, but different subject, do modded X-Boxes running games of hard drive play with stock X-Boxes in a LAN, not Live, just a LAN?

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 11:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bump

PostPosted: 02-13-2005 01:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kills On Site wrote:
On a related, but different subject, do modded X-Boxes running games of hard drive play with stock X-Boxes in a LAN, not Live, just a LAN?

yes

we used to have at least ten, all modded, playing halo 2 on lan

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 05:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you will not be able to use the pendrive as a storage on the xbox without any soft of modded software... sorry..

a really simple fix would be to get the new xbox and copy the shit over one by one... simple.

Mr. Anderson!
Mr. Anderson!
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 05:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I did it. I was trying the softmod, but all it would do was auto-format my thumbdrive to the Xbox file format and then I could put shit on it. Never figured out why it was doing that, nor how to get around it, but it did make for a nifty 128 meg memory stick.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 05:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

where did you get the App/util to format into Xfat?

i know there are a few *nix utils that will allow you to unlock/alter the Xfat Drives, But that is about it.

Mr. Anderson!
Mr. Anderson!
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 06:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AmIdYfReAk wrote:
where did you get the App/util to format into Xfat?

i know there are a few *nix utils that will allow you to unlock/alter the Xfat Drives, But that is about it.

I didn't. the Xbox did it for me: I play the drive into the adapter, turn on the xbox (the drive was FAT32) and try to begin the softmod, when the dashboard tells me the memory card wasn't initialized, and that it done that for me. It then showed up a memory card, and let me transfer files to and from it (but it had formatted the drive, so the softmod files were gone )

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 06:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yay, quick reply

mine says it is damaged or some shit

Mr. Anderson!
Mr. Anderson!
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 06:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmm, I wonder if thats the drive, or the adapter, or both. I used some old SanDisk Cruzer mini the first time, haven't tried with my new Lexar Jumpdrive. It could be a per-drive thing.

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 03:16 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

well I finally got my new X-Box, has a Phillips DVD drive in it, I hope it works well and copies CD-Rs

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.