Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        CPU woes...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: CPU woes...

i like to program
i like to program
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 11:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just built a friends computer, and it is seemingly all together right. When we turn it on, the cpu fans spins every now and then, but then it stops and not shit else happens. I had this happen on an old computer once, any ideas?

oblivion
oblivion
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 12:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

cpu gone?

normally the case if cpu fan gets power but nothing else.

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 12:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'd say power supply or mobo.

i like to program
i like to program
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 03:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was thinking power supply..

i like to program
i like to program
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 03:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oblivi0.on wrote:
cpu gone?

But NOTHING else happens.. no noises, not shit. And it randomly happens (and this is only if I remove the power cable and plug back in).

Black Magic
Black Magic
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 04:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

if it only does it when you mess with the power cord i'd say the psu is probably sending junk power to the motherboard.

i like to program
i like to program
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 12:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

We got a new PSU, and now the CPU fans spins, but nothing else. The PSU fan doesn't spin at all.

i like to program
i like to program
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 07:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

We have finally got it to come on and all leds and shit come on, no beeps from the motherboard. But, there is no video output. We now just noticed that the LED on the front of the case is going straight to standby mode. Any ideas?

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 07:45 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If it powers on but doesn't boot and doesn't have video output, I'm guessing the motherboard.

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 08:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

re-seat your heat sync fan
check for loose pci or agp cards
disconnect all non essential items like network card ..hard drives etc then test.

..or else mobo or cpu may be blown

i like to program
i like to program
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 08:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

We're stuck in suspend mode, so I guess thats why we aren't getting video output :P

PostPosted: 02-12-2005 08:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Check your ram.

oblivion
oblivion
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 08:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

inolen wrote:
Oblivi0.on wrote:
cpu gone?

But NOTHING else happens.. no noises, not shit. And it randomly happens (and this is only if I remove the power cable and plug back in).

yea i know that nothing else happenes. when my cpu went ONLY the cpu fan would power on when you turned it on...nothing else. replaced the copu and BAM it worked

i dont think you constantly turning it on and off with a piece of fried hardware in it being good for the existing hardware.

i like to program
i like to program
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 08:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Any other clue why this comp is going straight to suspend mode?

i like to program
i like to program
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 08:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

BTW, we plugged in an AGP graphics card and the fan is spinning, etc.

i like to program
i like to program
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 09:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There is a feature on this mobo for a G-BTN button which supposebly exists on some case which causes the system to go to suspend mode and the power supply is reduced to a trickle, but we don't have anything connected to it. It's like that is somehow on?

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 09:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

not by default i imagine ... pull the battery off the mobo ..rest for a minute put it back in.

this will reset to bios defaults or check manual for what pin to short to reset the bios.

i like to program
i like to program
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 10:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

We took the battery out and tried already :(

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 10:11 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

inolen wrote:

not to try and sound like an ass, but you have the computer unpluged from the wall outlet too right?

i like to program
i like to program
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 10:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kills On Site wrote:
inolen wrote:

not to try and sound like an ass, but you have the computer unpluged from the wall outlet too right?

Oh hey, you're trying to be funny, right?

You know what I meant :retard:

PostPosted: 02-12-2005 10:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Did you jump the CMOS?

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 10:18 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

inolen wrote:
Kills On Site wrote:
inolen wrote:

Oh hey, you're trying to be funny, right?

You know what I meant :retard:

well it is a simple thing to forget, ive had a problem go on much longer then needed because a detail I overlooked

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 11:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

final guess .. cpu not seated right ... heat sync fan and or thermal paste i strongly think is the bad guy.

i like to program
i like to program
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 11:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

axbaby wrote:
final guess .. cpu not seated right ... heat sync fan and or thermal paste i strongly think is the bad guy.

Hmm.. it had the paste shit already applied. We just matched the CPU up and latched it down, put on heatsink and then latched it down.

oblivion
oblivion
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 05:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

replace the cpu O_o

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.