Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Build problems

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Build problems

Bbbllrrrrzzppp!!
Bbbllrrrrzzppp!!
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 04:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I got a load of parts through the post today:

Celeron 400,
memory,
Microstar 6160 motherboard,

ect

Now, I installed the motherboard into the case and the 250watt powersupply. Fitted the celeron with some thermal grease and a hs/fan. Slotted in a TNT 2, connected the hard drive / cd drive / mouse / keyboard / monitor and wired it all up and the buttons.

I press the power button, everything switches on, psu, cpu fan spins, gpu fan spins, cd drive comes on and the hard drive.

But, I dont get any output on the screen. Its just blank and theres no beeps.

Any ideas?

Black Magic
Black Magic
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 04:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

did you try it with just processor + video + memory?
and did you try the reset CMOS jumper?

Bbbllrrrrzzppp!!
Bbbllrrrrzzppp!!
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 04:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yup, just tried reseting the CMOS
Disconnected the CD drive, hard drive, mouse and keyboard so its just mem, cpu and gfx and still nothing. I even stuck my GF3 into it to see if it worked and I got nothing. I EVEN stuck the tnt2 into my main machine and it works fine.

Fucked proc or mobo?

Bbbllrrrrzzppp!!
Bbbllrrrrzzppp!!
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 05:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok, just took the processor out and still no beeps or anything on the display.

Motherboards fried I suppose then yeah?

Bbbllrrrrzzppp!!
Bbbllrrrrzzppp!!
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 05:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

theres no HD light connector in the case so those 2 pins are blank, could that be it?

Bbbllrrrrzzppp!!
Bbbllrrrrzzppp!!
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 06:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AHAA,

On the proc where the corner is cut off. should there be 2 pins or 3? Because I think one of the pins is broken.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 10:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dude, its really easy to tell if there is broken pins, you will see the solder point, with no pin.. simple as that..

also, how meny sticks of ram is there on the system? and is the video card a AGP?

try Changing the PCI Slot the videocard is sitting in ( if PCI )
if its AGP then try out a diff videocard,

if that dosent work, try taking ram sticks out, or trying diffrent ones.

Bbbllrrrrzzppp!!
Bbbllrrrrzzppp!!
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 01:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Its deffinately the proc, the solder point is there, the base of the pin is there, but the pin isnt there...

Do you reckon I would be able to solder another pin on it?
Ive got an old P120 here. Think I would be able to get a pin of it and solder it on? Or even just drop the pin into the hole on the board and then slot the proc in? Because I have heard of people breaking a pin and the pin is still in the socket, but they put the proc back in and it still worked.

Vid card is agp and ive already swapped another card in it. and theres 1 stick of mem... but it will work on one stick because the friend I got it off used it.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.