Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        iPhone App Thread

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: iPhone App Thread

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 06-21-2009 05:04 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Which apps are you using that are worth a damn and aren't totally obvious (like Pandora or Kindle)?

Gasbuddy
GPS/postal-code based gas station finder that sorts and maps stations by price. Lots of options, great interface, very handy for my area. Already saved myself $3 which paid for the app itself.

mBox Mail
Offers access to hotmail with the same kind of interface you get from the built in app. Pay.

Ping Lite
Free suite for ping, tracert, and telnet

AroundMe
Uses google and gps to give you a categorized list of pretty much any point of interest near you. Free.

Wikipanion
Wiki interface that searches as you type

Last edited by bitWISE on 12-22-2009 09:36 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 06-27-2009 09:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sushipedia.
Great sushi app. Free on special right now.

:ishift:
Fun little flash game converted to iphone game. 99 cents.

Peggle
Its fucking peggle, and worth every damn penny.

Tap Tap Revenge 2.
Music game. One of the better, and its free.

Baseball Stars 2009.
Goon made, lots of fun.

Epicurious
Really neat fun cooking app. Hard to explain, free so check it out.

Yelp*
FIND SHIT app. Need gas? Theres a button to find service stations. Need food? Restraunts. Has custom search as well.

Photoswap
Send a random picture, to a random person. Get one from a random person.

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 06-30-2009 03:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

damn .. i got this purty Htc Touch Hd and can't for the life of me find a decent non scam free site for windows mobile software.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 06-30-2009 08:16 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Awesome thread.

Lets see...

Card Counter
-Just teaches and trains you on how to count cards.

I have a lot more, but non I'm sure you guys haven't seen. I really haven't done a lot of App browsing.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 06-30-2009 09:24 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SOAPboy wrote:
Photoswap
Send a random picture, to a random person. Get one from a random person.

This one is fun. :olo:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 07-31-2009 07:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Any other Apps I should know about?

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 07-31-2009 07:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

last.fm
jellycar
airport lite
aSmHUDCam
shazam
LEDit
allowance

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 08-01-2009 01:10 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LEDit - thats awesome

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 08-02-2009 10:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Vlingo
Free voice command shit. Pretty nice.

Astro Pachinko
I really enjoy it. *shrug*

EZ2Mo
Contact backup shit. Nice if your sync goes to shit.

Topple/topple2
Fun stack game :D

Shoutcast
Shoutcast radio on the go. High bitrate streams, pretty quick on loading on 3g.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 09-28-2009 07:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gas Log - Keeps track of your milage and how much you're spending on gas each month/year. Pretty handy.

Geard - Really fun puzzle game. There are 80 levels and I'm stuck on level 80! :mad:

TWI - Text that people have wrote. Some are funny, others not so much...

Genius - Camera app. Let's you zoom, helps with the shakiness, and some other options. Good if you use your iPhone as your only camera...

What else you got?

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 09-28-2009 10:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Beejive - best messaging client hands down. well worth the cost.
iRdesktop - Free remote desktop client
Shazam
Facebook
MMATorch - MMA news
NewsCan+ - Canadian news client
Armory - WoW on the go
Flixster
Goskywatch - good stargazing app
Geocaching - lots of fun esp with the 3GS' compass
Interval timer
Grocery gadget lite - useful for making lists
Whats on - TV listings sorted by where you are
Wikipedia client
Dictionary.com - includes thesaurus
WebMD
Concerts - by iLike. pulls local concerts and you can filter based on bands in your playlists. Free and awesome app. Also links directly to ticket sales.
Mixologist - drink database. Punch in what you have and it provides what you need for various mixes
Trailpeak - finds local hiking trails, information, and maps
Xbox360 Insider
IGN game news
Google Earth
Ping lite - decent bare-bones network utility
Urban Spoon - great for finding local restaurants
Yelp - Canadian knockoff of Urban Spoon. Better for all intents and purposes if you live up here.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 10-03-2009 10:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

some of this stuff requires a jailbreak, so from what i remember, i'll put an asterisk by those:

Lockdown* - lockdown apps of your choosing with a 4 digit passcode
StumblerPlus* - Wifi scanner, showing SSID, vendor, signal strength, channel, AP mode, beacon intervals, encryption type, also shows if a network is hidden.
Red Laser - iphone barcode scanner for UPC and EAN and does a google search on the item. i use this often when shopping for electronics that are more impulse driven.
e-wallet - digitize your credit cards, passwords, etc. uses (FIPS) 256 AES encryption.
Qtweeter* - twitter app, that you can launch no matter what app you have currently running without killing that app. see for yourself http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68_Fs79IeGM
convertbot - unit conversion bot. looks better than what they show on their homepage even: http://tapbots.com/convertbot/ awesome app, i use it a lot.
GV mobile* - google voice mobile
sbsettings* - utility alowing you to kill processes, free up RAM, and much more

Last edited by +JuggerNaut+ on 10-04-2009 12:34 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-04-2009 11:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Red Laser app you can get on nonjailbroke iPhones. Cool app though...

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 10-04-2009 12:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ya i couldn't remember either way. but yep, great app.

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 10-15-2009 09:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wyse PocketCloud - $$$
Powerful, advanced remote desktop tool that also lets you connect to virtual machines

FTPonTheGo - $
Ftp client. This can also double as a way to get/send files from your iphone.

Free badass wallpapers:
http://www.endeffect.com/iphone/

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-16-2009 01:03 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice wallpaper find. Cheers dude.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 10-16-2009 10:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They also work on other phones, the wallpapers that is.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-17-2009 04:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I found a barcode on one of the wallpapers on that page.
Can one of you read the barcode on this and post the link here, please?

I don't have an iPhone, else I'd do it myself :)

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 10-17-2009 09:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-17-2009 04:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cheers :up:

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 11-01-2009 12:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-11-2009 09:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Harbor Havoc 3D - Another great game from Backflip Studios

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 12-14-2009 07:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Jaadu - $$$$ - Incredible VNC app

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 12-22-2009 01:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Purely work-related, but by far the handiest app outside of the built-in Google Maps on my phone: AJA DataCalc.
It's a handy app for determining bitrate of professional video.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 12-22-2009 10:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Any recommendations for a good driving navigation app?

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 12-23-2009 05:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tomtom

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 12-23-2009 05:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it's not great by any means. the droid's built in gps is much better. i'd go with a standalone GPS if you're really in need of one.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 12-27-2009 02:42 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

pocket BLU

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 12-31-2009 10:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
The Red Laser app you can get on nonjailbroke iPhones. Cool app though...

are you implying it doesn't work on jailbroken phones? i have it on mine? blackra1n and rock

red laser has really come into it's own with this past update-local GPS-based deals in addition to amazon? what?

my apps:
touchterm - sshkeys :!:
godaddy app - ok
1password - have yet to tweak this into usefulness
craigsphone - meh
gowalla - social networking is gay, lol
redbox - rented on the way home yesterday and picked up with a $4 swipe after patiently waiting for a couple of lolumadrednecks standing and crowing pointedly at the cold screen for 3 minutes about there never being
"no god damned movies nowhere."
saisuke
careerbuilder (lol)
brightkite - location and picture integration make this fairly interesting, in terms of
ski report (.com) - gps based, so the report for mountain nearest you is listed first.
Realski will be a very nice app once it's past the "hot, slow, locked up mess" phase. People who ski/board and have an iphone will never need a trail map again (in most resorts).

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 12-31-2009 07:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

engadget. if you're a fan, get it.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 01-03-2010 11:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

BiteSMS
Jailbroken app, Pretty much just sms quick reply, quick compose, reply on lock screen. Stuff to make texting less of a pain in the ass.

qTweeter
Similar idea to BiteSMS, except its a twitter/facebook quick compose. Silde down, type, poof updated. (Jailbroke)

Tomena sanner
Single action button side scroller. Hard to explain, just play it.

Auditorium
http://www.playauditorium.com/
On the iPhone

uRemote
Utorrent webUI client. Check status, update, speed up, slow down, grab new torrents, etc. (jailbroken again)

Canabalt
Another single button side scroller.
web version
http://www.adamatomic.com/canabalt/

Since i keep talking about jailbroke. Lets see dem themes

tnf wrote:
Any recommendations for a good driving navigation app?

Its a shitty plug since i work for ATT now, but ATT Navigator is actually really nice, Its just Telenav with our shitty logos, so telenav if you arnt ATT. I use it tons and its never let me down. Updates to construction etc. Good times.

EDIT: Actually caught up on the thread, Lul, someone already mentioned qtweeter. oh wal. Just shows its decent.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 02-24-2010 02:54 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Words with Friends - good scrabble app, been playin it a lot

iAssociate - really fun word association game

I'm a sucker for games like this. Anyone know of any others?

Btw, games like this would be so fun on an ipad. My girlfriend and I like to play together and the iPhone's size makes it difficult...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 03-10-2010 11:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ragdoll Blaster 2 :up:

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 03-11-2010 01:55 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Star Walk - The coolest feature is that it uses gps and the compass to display a star map that changes based on what part of the sky you point it at.

Air Mouse - Turns your screen into a wifi touchpad for windows and osx. The osx integration is pretty tits because it has your dock and media controls and stuff.

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 03-25-2010 09:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Digg - The site, now in app form, with an incredibly sexy/usable interface. Links open within the app so theres no flipping around to be done.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.