Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        The 8 second hold of death

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: The 8 second hold of death

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 07:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So Ive been on the computer for the better part of the day, and I was browsing q3w. I started writing a post when I became completely distracted. I ended up holding down shift, for 8 seconds, while I was thinking about something else. All of a sudden some llamo gadget built into Windows pops up, asking me if I want to use filterKeys. I said, not really, I have no clue what the hell that is...

So I jab the cancel button. Then what do you know... all my shift keys are backwards... Now when I just type without shift its caps and when I hold it, its lowercase. Pretty awesome! [sarcasm]. Then I came to find out that its like a repeat your last command shortcut or some shit and I end up closing all my programs and windows by fault of this shit command.

Anyways, I suggest that you never, ever hold the shift key for 8 seconds. It gays everything up hardcore. I fixed it by hitting the opposite shift key to "release" control of that command on my other shift key or some shit. Blah.

PostPosted: 02-13-2005 08:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just held mine down for 2 minutes and nothing happened. So it's either not default in windows or it came from some other program or something to that effect. :shrug:

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 08:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Scourge wrote:
Just held mine down for 2 minutes and nothing happened. So it's either not default in windows or it came from some other program or something to that effect. :shrug:

You should have held it longer or at least until you got something out of it..... :icon25:

oblivion
oblivion
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 08:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

pressing it 5 times will bring that up. and cancel gets rid of it. you must have pressed something up. noob.

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 10:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The issue you're referring to is the sticky keys feature and it's one of the accessibility options in XP.

oblivion
oblivion
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 12:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

windows 2000 as well.

FragaGeddon
FragaGeddon
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 12:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I disable it beacuse it's fucked me up a couple times while playing games.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 05:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For those of you that are not getting it to work... go into any textbox, or any area that you can actually write something in and then hold down the right shift key for 8 seconds. It works both at home and at my job for me (using XP pro). A dialog pops up asking if you want to use "FilterKeys".

If you don't want to fuck up your computer at this point, hit cancel and then hit the opposite shift key to release the control of the command on the right shift key.

Bbbllrrrrzzppp!!
Bbbllrrrrzzppp!!
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 06:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

We used to sit in the computer room at school and press the shift key like mad making the computer go "beep".

Used to piss the teacher off so much! Especialy if we werent logged in.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 06:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

we was hardcore, we used to shove paper in the PSU fans and get a free lesson

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 09:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Scourge wrote:

Try hitting shift about 5 times. if you really care that is ;)

PostPosted: 02-14-2005 03:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bork[e] wrote:
Scourge wrote:

Try hitting shift about 5 times. if you really care that is ;)

I did and it did. :icon30:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.