Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        24 pin ATX

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 24 pin ATX

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 08:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My bud just ordered a new mobo, RAM, video card, CPU, and case/power supply combo. He called me in kind of a panic because his PSU's ATX plug didn't match the mobo and thought he was going to have to by another PSU to make things work. I told him I wasn't aware that the plugs were different and would look into it. Well, after a breif search I found out that you can by a 20 pin to 24 pin adapter that inables you to use a 20 pin PSU on a 24 pin mobo. Needless to say, he was pleased that it was only going to cost him another $6 to make eveything work. But what I didn't find out was, what's the four extra pins for? I'm guessing it's for PCIE.

Mr. Anderson!
Mr. Anderson!
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 08:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thats generally for higher-powered P4's and maybe some AMD64's. If his PSU doesn't have the extra pins, then I'd be wary of just using an adapter, most PSU's will have the standard 20-pin and then a 4-pin square one that just connects after the 20-pin.

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 08:08 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it is to put the P4 4-pin power adapter beside the 20-pin ATX, if there is another 4-pin connector on the mobo then you have the choice between the two. At least that what is was on a mobo I built with

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 08:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just to clear some things up.

The CPU is an AMD 64 3500 and he did try to plug in the 4 pin plug next to the 20 pin, but it didn't fit.

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 10:58 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
Just to clear some things up.

The CPU is an AMD 64 3500 and he did try to plug in the 4 pin plug next to the 20 pin, but it didn't fit.

What mobo Gramps?

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 05:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's a Chaintech PCIE board. But I don't think the brand of board matters, because I've seen the 24 pin setup on several different board types I've looked up.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 11:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.