Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        how the hell can a game disconnect the bloody interweb?!

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: how the hell can a game disconnect the bloody interweb?!

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 05-05-2010 12:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Does L4D come with some kind of pervasive copy protection?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-05-2010 12:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No. Just Steam as its form of "DRM", but that shouldn't affect his internet connection.

LOL. Google search shows that you've posted here:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... p?t=819133

Try verifying your game files (right click on game, properties, local files, verify) and clearing your preference files.

Worst case scenario, try reinstalling.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 05-05-2010 01:06 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Check your router's settings to see if there's any kind of 'protection level' set on it for firewall protection. Some routers have goofy 'intelligent' attack prevention which manifests itself as shit performance and wierd disconnection bugs.

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 05-05-2010 03:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hello sir
on steam someone "noman_ex eludes to server search overload.
I wonder if you lower your max open connections "probably the wrong wording" using a Broadband connection tweak program, if this will we more freindly to your router.
Perhaps you have tweaked your router settings too agressively and the router is freaking out.
remember your initial settings "if you decide to use the default settings" just in case you want to mess around.
purely an uneducated guess

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 05-05-2010 09:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

strange. Team Fortress 2 boots my ass off the internet too.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-06-2010 06:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What router do you have?

and have you tried updating the firmware on it?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-06-2010 05:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is your intruder detection on? and have you tried to shut down the firewall? also, is "Use Extended Security" enabled under UPNP?

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 05-06-2010 05:55 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I reckon your quickest fix here is going to be buying a better router.

The speedtouches have always been dung IMO.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-06-2010 07:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, he could change the speed touch to be a modem on its own, then purchase a router to do the PPPOE.

Thats what i'm doing :D

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-07-2010 11:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think a better analogy is you're walking in the snow in running shoes and we suggest buying a pair of boots. :D

(You can get a decent router for $30-60)

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 05-08-2010 10:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A couple years ago I had this happen with World of Warcraft sometimes. After a bit of research, it turned out that my DSL modem was to blame.

Basically, the game was making some buffer overflow or something, and it would crash the modem. Required me to restart the modem. Blizzard blamed the modem company, and insisted their product wasn't to blame.

I never fixed it, so I'm afraid I can't help. I just made sure to get a new modem when I moved....

P.S. You mentioned you checked drivers, did you check if the modem... (bios?) whatever you call it for those things, is up to date too?

My only suggestion, in case it is a similar problem to me, is Google your modem model name and number, and the game you're having problems with. In my case, it was lots of people with that modem and that game combo, so it was fairly easy to identify the problem.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 05-11-2010 10:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tf2 was wacking out my connection too. looked into it it and found some routers don't get along with the game. bought a wrt54gl and never had a problem since.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-12-2010 07:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Finding Documentation on the thing is a bit of a bitch, but if memory serves me correctly you'll need to unplug all of the Cat5's except your computer.

Log into the router and go through the setup wizard again, and it will ask you how you would like the thing setup, from the list select Bridged.

Continue through the setup and when your done, power cycle the thing.

While thats happening, you'll need to setup a PPOE connection on your computer with your username aksdkasjd@askjdkajsd.net along with the password and try it.

the thing should react like a DSL modem and act on the PPPOE dial request.

if that fails, and you want to go back to having it setup as a router again, power the thing down again, give your computer an IP ( 192.168.0.100 ) turn it on, and log back in through the interface and run through the wizard again this time selecting Gateway/router.

Sorry if this seems a little rushed, but your ISP's technical support should be able to guide you through this without to much of an issue.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-13-2010 05:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ipV6 isn't implemented yet...

the internet and etc is still ipV4.

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 06-09-2010 12:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

glad your sorted, if it was me i'd have a broken window with a pc and router through it by now.
your a stubborn sod

Get drrunkk and let off some Steam

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 06-11-2010 06:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Echhhh, vodka. :puke:

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 06-11-2010 11:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

vodka rules

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 06-12-2010 08:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A good whiskey, rum, or tequila will beat it any day.

Mew Legs!
Mew Legs!
PostPosted: 06-19-2010 01:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Scourge wrote:
A good whiskey, rum, or tequila will beat it any day.

Personal preference really, I prefer vodka :)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.