Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Drive not formatted? Was fine earlier

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Drive not formatted? Was fine earlier

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 06-07-2010 10:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just had a weird error that I hope someone can maybe help with a solution :s

Basically, a storage hard drive that has always been fine is now apparently "not formatted" according to winXP, which wants me to format it. I've got a program that might be able to recover files but wondered if there was something out there that wouldn't take messing around with extra drives and hours to copy (hopefully) recoverable files :/

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-07-2010 10:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Probably a corrupt Master Boot Record?

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/483/xp_r ... y_console/

An Ubuntu LiveCD will also mount the drive if you need to pull information off of it.

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 06-07-2010 01:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok, I can try and rewrite the MBR, but would that affect it if I'm only accessing it from "My Compter"? (boot drive is fine as is another storage drive... just this one for some reason).

I'm at a loss as to why it's happened as I don't think I've even used that drive recently!

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-07-2010 02:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not the MBR of your main disc, but the one that isn't working. Each disc has it's own MBR and I suspect the one in question is corrupt.

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 06-07-2010 02:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

heh, finally got time to sit down and do some proper troubleshooting - just ran a chkdsk /F on it from the command prompt as a preliminary check... and that sorted it!
(whatever "it" was!). Still dunno why it happened.

Cheers obsidian -

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.