Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Windows Code 12

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Windows Code 12

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-12-2010 10:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hopefully someone can help me with this problem. I've researched the issue and found others have had the same problem but can't find a work around.

I have a Dell XPS 600 system running Windows XP. I was running two Nvidia 6800's in SLI mode and decided to upgrade those video cards. I purchased two 9800GT's and put them in the system in place of the 6800's. During replacement, I uninstalled the 6800 drivers, replaced the cards and installed the 9800 drivers. After installation, one of the video cards appeared not to be operating within the system. In Device Manager, both cards are shown installed but one has an exclamation mark :!: indicating there's a problem. When I checked under Properties, there was an error stating that there wasn't enough system resources for the card and code 12 was displayed.

I tried removing all PCI cards except for one 9800 and re-installing each card seperately. I had removed the second 9800, my sound card and an IDE control card. When I put in the second 9800 card, I encountered the same error. Windows didn't assign different resources. Not sure if it matters but I noticed both cards are set up under IRQ16. I wanted to try and manually change the resources for the second card but the option to change settings under the Resources Tab is grayed out and the "use automatic settings" box is checked.

I have the latest BIOS version Dell offers for this system. I've seen some posts with users having this problem running Windows 7 so not sure if XP is the problem. I'm not sure what to do at this point? If the second card needs different resource settings, how do I get Windows to assign them correctly or allow me to change the current settings? If my previous cards worked in SLI with available Windows resources, how come Windows is having problems with replacement cards?

Thanks for any help on this!!

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 06-13-2010 12:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Windows may not have the .inf and others files to know how to handle this new card. Download the lastest motherboard chipset drivers Not from Dell but by the chipset maker.Dell would probably be carrying only outdated drivers now.

Have you have run Windows Update lately?

Give us your computer specs so we can look into helping you better.
Chipset ?
Motherboard Model?
CPU?
Windows XP SP2?
any you can think is relevant

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-15-2010 06:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I went through and updated windows. It was a little outdated but up to date now. Here's some of the information you may need. Not sure if the Mobo info is what you're looking for? (used Everest to pull system info).

CPU Type DualCore Intel Pentium D 820, 2800 MHz (14 x 200)
CPU Alias Smithfield
Motherboard ID DELL Dell DXG051
Product 0UH741
Motherboard Chipset nForce4-SLI-X16-Intel
Motherboard Name Dell XPS 600 (3 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 2 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)

Windows is SP 3.

Really appreciate the help.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-15-2010 12:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Follow up.

Tried both cards individually in each PCIe slot. Worked fine solo each time.

Upgraded the nforce drivers, I think. Followed the instructions but didn't see any driver update for the nforce system devices listed. Maybe not looking at the correct system devices.

The vid card I have, is listed on Dell's website as a compatible card for the system. Doesn't mean it actually is I guess; but it's there.

I was going to try and modify resources allocated to card A but the option is greyed out with a check mark in "use automatic settings".

Thanks.

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 06-15-2010 01:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This sounds like a possible solution
http://www.bjorn3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23545
However i would fiddle with the bios FIRST and see if there is a bios option related to letting windows manage resources or letting the bios do it. Test other bios options but Write down your original settings just in case

Update
Quote:
Someone on the WEB ... I have since installed a single 8800GTX 768MB card and it is running as expected

FYI, I did find out that with a Dell XPS 600 to avoid an error code 12 when running a pair of 8800GT's you need to use a much older BIOS, version A06.

axbaby wrote Downgrading the Bios to version A06 seems to be the solution
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic88762.html

http://en.community.dell.com/what-do-i- ... 33139.aspx

hopefully this will work

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-15-2010 03:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Greatly appreciated! I'll give these a look over and let you know if any work.

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 06-15-2010 03:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

good luck

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-15-2010 08:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Crazy.... :confused:

I downgrade my BIOS to version 6 from 11 and both cards configure perfectly and SLI works! My USB keyboard doesn't work during bootup but guess it's a small price to pay to get both cards functioning.

Question: I know I don't want to play with the BIOS but do you think since both cards are allocated correctly now, it would hurt anything to try and step up my BIOS versions to see if the resources stay allocated correctly. Not sure how changing BIOS works in that arena but I'm curious now to see if the cards will stay enabled through an upgrade. Don't want to screw anything up by flashing the BIOS multiple times.

Thanks for your help Ax. Greatly appreciated! :up:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-15-2010 08:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There is an option in the bios for usb legacy support, enable it, and your keyboard will work off boot.

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 06-15-2010 11:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

that's great
Thank Amidyfreak , he got me job here.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-16-2010 09:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dell. :down:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-16-2010 03:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks Amidyfreak. I'll give that a try. PS. Give Axbaby a raise please!

Fair comment on Dell Obsidian. Never had issues with them before but guess there's always a first time. To have this type hassle upgrading a system with a "compatible" product is crazy.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-17-2010 07:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In my experience, Dell computers often work a little "strange" and they are a pain to upgrade.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 06-18-2010 10:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Same with HP. My wife bought one while I was at work. :disgust:

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 06-19-2010 07:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Scourge wrote:

sign the divorce papers man

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 06-19-2010 08:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HP .. SVM ..shared video memory or
Saleman Viscious Manipulation of clueless woman

Wazzup OSoMa .. i voted for the other white guy and Tits McDrillme

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 06-19-2010 12:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SoM wrote:
Scourge wrote:

sign the divorce papers man

Nah, I don't have to use it. I built my own. Only time I had anything to do with it was putting in a video card. She can stay, for now.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.