Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Thunderbird Attachment Error

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Thunderbird Attachment Error

The World is Yours...
The World is Yours...
PostPosted: 07-24-2010 07:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So my father approached me this morning with some dry story about how he could no longer open his e-mail attachments in Thunderbird and then proceeded to tell me about his unsuccessful and unnecessary attempts at fixing it.

Me, being the cocky little computer head I like to think I am, told him I would gladly fix this seemingly easy task.

But I'm beyond stumped. And I admittedly feel ridiculous because I have no idea what the problem is.

I don't have the name of the default program that was opening his .jpgs and such off the top of my head, but he deleted it. Fine. Then he was using a program called 'Corel' as his default to open things and it was working fine. But now when you double click the attachment, specifically .jpg for now, and 'unexpected error' comes up saying files cannot be saved at C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp. Suggested I save the file and then open it (which, for shits and giggles obviously works fine). So I assumed he deleted something he didn't mean to and tried to resort back to simple Windows Picture and Fax viewer. Same error.

Anyone have any experience with Thunderbird? Or can someone point out my foolish stupidity and let me know the the easy solution to this problem might be?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-24-2010 07:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sounds like Thunderbird is working perfectly fine (you can read emails, you can save attachments), but what screwed up is that Windows doesn't have Jpegs attributed to any default program to open jpeg files for association. He probably broke that feature while installing/uninstalling something.

Windows File Association:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307859 (Windows XP)
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/For ... 8dbe96e327 (Window Vista/7)

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 07-24-2010 07:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Has he updated to the newest Thunderbird, if not i would test an upgraded version?
Does the problem occur with Internet Explorer or Firefox?
i get a stinky feeling this is the solution
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/For ... 78fec9b5a0

The World is Yours...
The World is Yours...
PostPosted: 07-24-2010 09:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, Obsidian I sat down and hunted down Windows Picture and Fax viewer (because it isn't an .exe) and got it to where it defaulted to doing that. So now instead of asking what I want to do with that and getting an error, it is automatically trying to open it and still giving me the same error.

Axbaby that looks very promising towards the end. I'm going to update Thunderbird and I'll let you know. Thanks fellas.

The World is Yours...
The World is Yours...
PostPosted: 07-24-2010 09:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I wish I thought to check and see if Thunderbird was updated because that did the trick. Thanks guys :)

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 07-24-2010 10:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

cool, glad our help steered you in the right direction

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 07-24-2010 03:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

vileliquid1026 wrote:
Yeah, Obsidian I sat down and hunted down Windows Picture and Fax viewer (because it isn't an .exe) and got it to where it defaulted to doing that. So now instead of asking what I want to do with that and getting an error, it is automatically trying to open it and still giving me the same error.

Axbaby that looks very promising towards the end. I'm going to update Thunderbird and I'll let you know. Thanks fellas.

my lil sis had nero 7 ultra open her jpegs, i've reset her file associations and she's back with windows picture viewer. slow people eh?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-25-2010 05:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nero :puke: Bloatware and it's near impossible doing a clean uninstall of that shit.

CDBurnerXP or ImgBurn FTW!

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 07-26-2010 12:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SoM wrote:
obsidian wrote:
. slow people eh?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-02-2010 12:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doesn't Thunderbird use a build-in file associations? I know Firefox has an "applications" item under Tools -> Options which can be used to attach filetypes to certain applications.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.