Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        connection problems with windows 7

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: connection problems with windows 7

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 07-24-2010 11:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Running windows 7 home premium 64 bit. If I click on the Internet icon [Internet explorer 8] I can connect to the Internet. If I open skype, it says it can't connect. I downloaded google earth V5 and it says it cannot complete because it cant connect to the Internet.
Just using windows firewall and using Shaw secure as antivirus. As for network setup, it is just a standard setup. Checked tcp/ip settings and everything in there looks normal

Have used msconfig to disable everything and still no Internet access for any programs. I can still access Internet using Internet Explorer

Have removed Shaw secure and still doesnt work. When I try to install google earth, it says installation failed...couldnt connect to the Internet. Trys to Open a google support site but fails saying couldnt connect to the Internet. Error message 0x80072ee7

If I click on the Internet explorer icon it opens fine

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 07-24-2010 11:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

well google seems to think it's a dns problem or a service that is disabled but why does internet explorer work fine ..hmmm
I use google as my dns server, it fixed a similar issue i was having with my service provider http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/

Internet explorer may have cached some important info from previous visits to the sites you try and that is why it is working , if you flush the cache maybe Internet explorer will be broken as well.

try google dns i mention but first check out your connection settings pertaining to DNS "try obtain dns automatically"

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 07-25-2010 12:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

An odd thing...maybe

In network settings, ip4 shows Internet access

ip6 shows no internet access although it does connect through internet explorer

have cleared cache and flushed dns

Internet explorer still works and connects, but google earth does the same and skype will not connect

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 07-25-2010 12:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i think ip6 "and please don't quote me because i could be very wrong and i have not used Win7 " is not available yet.
If i am right your connection should only be using Protocal (TCP/IP) not IP6.
Under Networking check that you have it enabled if not use the install tab
If i am right remove IP6

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 07-26-2010 10:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think you are right. However, I removed ip6 and it still does the same thing. Seems it cant find an Internet connection from an outside program. When google earth fails to install, it opens IE and says it cant connect to the internet. If I close that windows and reopen IE, it opens fine

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.