Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Bios Lockout

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Bios Lockout

Madman Philosophy
Madman Philosophy
PostPosted: 10-29-2010 09:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just got hold of a used laptop. There's a password to access the hdd, then it boots up. I have that password. When I try to go into the bios to disable that pw, it asks for a different one. I don't have that one. I can boot the comp and use it, but I would like to unlock this thing.

Is there a default pass for this? Can I load a different bios that will replace the old?

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 10-29-2010 09:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you could try flashing the bios, if you can find the right one. that might work if the manufacture did a shitty job at making the first bios.

also, default password. no.

Madman Philosophy
Madman Philosophy
PostPosted: 10-29-2010 10:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thank you. I'll let you know how this goes.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-29-2010 11:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

pull the cmos battery

Madman Philosophy
Madman Philosophy
PostPosted: 10-29-2010 11:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I thought I read something about that in a previous thread... I'll try that first. :o

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-30-2010 06:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pull the batt, leave it unplugged, and pull the cmos batt.

Leave the laptop sit overnight, and plug everything back in, wham!

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 10-30-2010 08:33 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The one you're looking for will probably be called 'RTC battery'. Chances are it's under the keyboard.

The procedure is usually just to pull the main laptop battery, pull the RTC battery, then replace all of it and boot.

Madman Philosophy
Madman Philosophy
PostPosted: 11-02-2010 06:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I flashed the bios. The laptop isn't high quality, so I decided what the heck. After reading about how to do it, It was just a matter of getting the proper download. Piece of cake. Thank you gentlemen. :up:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.